Reload this Page >

Coronavirus screening in Indian airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus screening in Indian airports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems ME and Europe arrivals have to take the test, but don't have to wait for the result to transit. Oh boy this will be fun... luckily I arrive in BOM after this has been in place for about 3 weeks... 🤦‍♂️

The sad part about all this is that the variant(s) are spreading fast here, and I'm sure the same is already happening in India. Not that anyone really cares about Covid in India, life seems to be returning to some form of normality and people are dropping their guard(s). 🤷‍♀️
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
It seems ME and Europe arrivals have to take the test, but don't have to wait for the result to transit. Oh boy this will be fun...
i just got that confirmation from a contact at the civil aviation ministry....but be prepared for a lot of confusion initially....

luckily I arrive in BOM after this has been in place for about 3 weeks... 🤦‍♂️
same here....i will be traveling back from dxb on the 10th of march so this would have been in place for over 2 weeks at that point....hopefully they would have been able to figure out what to do by then....

The sad part about all this is that the variant(s) are spreading fast here, and I'm sure the same is already happening in India. Not that anyone really cares about Covid in India, life seems to be returning to some form of normality and people are dropping their guard(s). 🤷‍♀️
unfortunately that's true....my kids school just took a decision this morning to re-open from the 1st of march....my wife has been flipping out all day today & will be stressed from now till the time school opens....mostly everything has re-opened by now & people outside the larger cities seem convinced that the threat from covid is over....
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:12 am

Links to the material shared by Keyser above:

1. https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Guideli...ls17022021.pdf
2. https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Algorit...alarrivals.pdf

Would it be possible to create a Wiki for this thread and post the above information there?
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:58 am

Defining a contact from airplane exposure

Does anyone know if the definition of contract is the same in business class as economy class? Ie same route or within 3 rows of a positive case?
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:47 pm

The Health ministry guidelines make no distinction between class of travel, however the NCDC guidelines for contact tracing provide an indicative distance of 1 m and 15 min of exposure. Strictly speaking in most business cabins the pitch is >1m so other than adjacent seats most other travellers would not be covered by this definition...
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Right now my flight there is a cluster of pax sitting in row 1&2 and I'm row 4. I suppose its time to move to row 5.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Query - as of 22nd Feb - "Air Suvidha Exemption Request Form For International Arriving Passengers To India
(Applications are being accepted on behalf of the state Govt. w.e.f 23:59 hours of 22nd Feb 2021, international arriving passengers can only apply for exemption, in case of 'Death in a Family'. It is mandatory for all international arriving passengers to upload negative RT PCR certificate while filling the self declaration form. To view latest guidelines for international arriving passengers click here.)"

After reading the guidelines listed on https://www.newdelhiairport.in/pdf/G...ls17022021.pdf, it splits arrivals into two sections - those from the rest of the world and those from ME/Africa/Europe/UK. Since I am on a n/s from USA, I get put in Group A. Based on these rules, you are allowed an exemption from taking a negative PCR test and entering India only in case of death in family. The rest of the international passengers still have to take a negative RT-PCR test to qualify for home quarantine. Is that still accurate? I was only confused because of the blanket statement above on the banner that says "international arriving passengers can only apply for exemption, in case of 'Death in a Family". These two statements are sorta contradictory. oliver2002 - Kindly advise
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
i just got that confirmation from a contact at the civil aviation ministry....but be prepared for a lot of confusion initially....

same here....i will be traveling back from dxb on the 10th of march so this would have been in place for over 2 weeks at that point....hopefully they would have been able to figure out what to do by then....

unfortunately that's true....my kids school just took a decision this morning to re-open from the 1st of march....my wife has been flipping out all day today & will be stressed from now till the time school opens....mostly everything has re-opened by now & people outside the larger cities seem convinced that the threat from covid is over....

I can't tell, are there any further visa restrictions? Scheduled to travel on March 22 on Business Visa.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rburner3
I can't tell, are there any further visa restrictions? Scheduled to travel on March 22 on Business Visa.
there seem to be no further visa restrictions as of now....
Old Feb 23, 2021, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Query - as of 22nd Feb - "Air Suvidha Exemption Request Form For International Arriving Passengers To India
(Applications are being accepted on behalf of the state Govt. w.e.f 23:59 hours of 22nd Feb 2021, international arriving passengers can only apply for exemption, in case of 'Death in a Family'. It is mandatory for all international arriving passengers to upload negative RT PCR certificate while filling the self declaration form. To view latest guidelines for international arriving passengers click here.)"

After reading the guidelines listed on https://www.newdelhiairport.in/pdf/G...ls17022021.pdf, it splits arrivals into two sections - those from the rest of the world and those from ME/Africa/Europe/UK. Since I am on a n/s from USA, I get put in Group A. Based on these rules, you are allowed an exemption from taking a negative PCR test and entering India only in case of death in family. The rest of the international passengers still have to take a negative RT-PCR test to qualify for home quarantine. Is that still accurate? I was only confused because of the blanket statement above on the banner that says "international arriving passengers can only apply for exemption, in case of 'Death in a Family". These two statements are sorta contradictory. oliver2002 - Kindly advise
My understanding is that prior to Feb 22nd, there were two levels of exemption:

1. Exemption from quarantine: if you had a negative RT-PCR report.
2. Exemption from testing: if you were travelling for an emergency - this had to be applied for.

After the new guidelines the first exemption is removed/redundant (since everyone is required to carry a negative RT-PCR) and some categories (UK, SA, ME etc) are subject to a second test on arrival.

The second exemption stays but is also basically redundant since you have to apply for it 72 hours in advance and you are anyway tested on arrival even if you get the exemption from prior testing. Basically if you have 72 hours you might as well get a test before leaving and save yourself the hassle.
rburner3 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:35 am

There is no way around the RT-PCR test, get one done 3 days before you leave and show the result to whoever asks and upload it to the site if you get it in time. Even the death in the family exemption has to be documented in the portal with a death certificate which is difficult to obtain if the deceased has not been cremated yet (which is usually the reason why children rush back to take care of the last rituals)

There is a whole cottage industry of testing centers flourishing around all major international airports, getting a test done is no big deal anymore. Of course it costs.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Any recent data points on how long on arrival tests are taking to get results at BOM/DEL? Debating whether to risk a 8 hour connection!

UK arrival so must wait for result before continuing
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:42 pm

Reports here of a 9 hour wait from landing to results yesterday but they say it should improve as the airport staff get familiar with the new process

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...ights-7201819/

Originally Posted by s1362083
Any recent data points on how long on arrival tests are taking to get results at BOM/DEL? Debating whether to risk a 8 hour connection!
s1362083 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by superboi
My understanding is that prior to Feb 22nd, there were two levels of exemption:

1. Exemption from quarantine: if you had a negative RT-PCR report.
2. Exemption from testing: if you were travelling for an emergency - this had to be applied for.

After the new guidelines the first exemption is removed/redundant (since everyone is required to carry a negative RT-PCR) and some categories (UK, SA, ME etc) are subject to a second test on arrival.

The second exemption stays but is also basically redundant since you have to apply for it 72 hours in advance and you are anyway tested on arrival even if you get the exemption from prior testing. Basically if you have 72 hours you might as well get a test before leaving and save yourself the hassle.
I'm flying from Phx to Hyd, via Qatar Airways with a connection in Doha.

I came across this on Qatar Airway's site and wanted some clarity:

"Passengers transiting India on flights originating from the UK, Europe, and the Middle East must allow a minimum of six to eight hours for procedures. All international travellers transiting from flights originating from United Kingdom, Europe, and the Middle East should submit the Self-Declaration Form (SDF) for COVID on the online Air Suvidha portal before the scheduled travel and will be required to declare their travel history of the past 14 days. Transiting travellers may be required to have a PCR test at the airport and at their own expense."

Does anyone know if quarantine will be required even with a negative RT-PCR Test?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by rburner3
I'm flying from Phx to Hyd, via Qatar Airways with a connection in Doha.

I came across this on Qatar Airway's site and wanted some clarity:

"Passengers transiting India on flights originating from the UK, Europe, and the Middle East must allow a minimum of six to eight hours for procedures. All international travellers transiting from flights originating from United Kingdom, Europe, and the Middle East should submit the Self-Declaration Form (SDF) for COVID on the online Air Suvidha portal before the scheduled travel and will be required to declare their travel history of the past 14 days. Transiting travellers may be required to have a PCR test at the airport and at their own expense."

Does anyone know if quarantine will be required even with a negative RT-PCR Test?
From HYD airport website:
https://www.hyderabad.aero/pdf/For-a...iddle-East.pdf

FAQ's from HYD airport:
https://www.hyderabad.aero/coronavir...-advisory.aspx

Recent travel experiences from UK and AbuDhabi to Delhi:
What to expect when you land in India from the UK (London-Delhi, March 2021) - FlyerTalk Forums

Last edited by ft4lyf; Mar 10, 2021 at 9:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.