Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Thinking about trip to Madras

Thinking about trip to Madras

Old Feb 11, 20, 8:12 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,455
Thinking about trip to Madras

HI all,
spend a lot of time in Mumbai, have travel quite a bit around the India.. the usual stuff.. Delhi, Agra, Jaipur.. Goa.. Kerla,
so wondering abut taking a trip to Madras (chenni) for a few days on my next trip to India..
any ideas on what is worth seeing there..

thanks in advance
fotographer is offline  
Old Feb 11, 20, 4:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,318
https://wikitravel.org/en/Chennai
malgudi is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:22 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,455
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
thanks, but was hopping info from local FT members..
fotographer is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:44 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
HI all,
spend a lot of time in Mumbai, have travel quite a bit around the India.. the usual stuff.. Delhi, Agra, Jaipur.. Goa.. Kerla,
so wondering abut taking a trip to Madras (chenni) for a few days on my next trip to India..
any ideas on what is worth seeing there..

thanks in advance
Hi Fotographer

A trip to Chennai is very good idea. Chennai, the capital of Tamil Nadu, is known as the gateway to South India. This city has a population of about 10 million people, making it India's fifth largest city after Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, and Bangalore.

Best Time to Visit: Chennai has a hot and humid climate. Summer temperatures in late May and early June often reach an extreme 38–42 degrees Celsius (100–107 degrees Fahrenheit). The city receives most of its rainfall during the northeast monsoon, from mid-September to mid-December.

Language: Tamil and English.

Currency: Indian rupee.

Travel Tip: Chennai experiences high humidity throughout the year, so pack breathable cotton clothes.

Getting There:
Chennai is situated on the east coast of India. Chennai International Airport is conveniently only 15 kilometers (9 miles) south of the city center. It's well connected in terms of transport.

What to Eat and Drink: The South Indian cuisine in Chennai features staples such as idli and sambar, vada and sambar, masala dosa, and filter coffee. Being a coastal city, fish curry is ubiquitous. Head to the snack stalls on Marina beach for sundal (chickpeas). Most importantly, try a South Indian thali (platter), which comes with an assortment of dishes and is a meal in itself.

I have been there around 2 months back and enjoyed a lot with my family. I will share the pics of my tour with you.

Thanks & Enjoy !!
fotographer likes this.
Alluringtour is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:07 am
  #5  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 38,304
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
thanks, but was hopping info from local FT members..
Tips for Chennai?

Going to Chennai for a wedding, where else should I visit?

Around Bangalore & Chennai
fotographer likes this.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:42 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,039
nothing wrong with chennai but there are many other places i would visit in india before going to chennai....
Keyser is online now  
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:57 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,455
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
nothing wrong with chennai but there are many other places i would visit in india before going to chennai....
what do you have in mind..
been to most of north India.. Dehli, Jaipur.. Kashmir... Goa.. Kerla.. and all over Gujarat ,
This side trip is because when I come to Mumbai to work.. 2x a year, my wife will come me, and I would like to show her the beautiful country.
Since I can speak in 3 different Indian languages.. not a problem on where we go

thanks
fotographer is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:13 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,039
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
what do you have in mind..
been to most of north India.. Dehli, Jaipur.. Kashmir... Goa.. Kerla.. and all over Gujarat ,
This side trip is because when I come to Mumbai to work.. 2x a year, my wife will come me, and I would like to show her the beautiful country.
Since I can speak in 3 different Indian languages.. not a problem on where we go

thanks
unless there is a particular reason to go to chennai, i would recommend paces like manali, nainital, jodhpur, agra, mysore, varanasi, bangalore, amritsar, orissa, shimla, & udaipur....
fotographer likes this.
Keyser is online now  
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:56 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,455
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
unless there is a particular reason to go to chennai, i would recommend paces like manali, nainital, jodhpur, agra, mysore, varanasi, bangalore, amritsar, orissa, shimla, & udaipur....
One of the main reasons is that the J fare into Chennai is cheaper on OW than to BOM , even with the flight to and from BOM..
so was hoping to spend a few days on the outbound part of the trip..
fotographer is offline  
Old Feb 13, 20, 2:59 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 12,556
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
One of the main reasons is that the J fare into Chennai is cheaper on OW than to BOM , even with the flight to and from BOM..
so was hoping to spend a few days on the outbound part of the trip..
You seem to have made your mind up to visit Chennai, so your probably looking for endorsement of your decision. If it's being able to tick off another Indian city cheaply, then go for it.

Sites in the city are limited, listed everywhere and none of them excited me. Sambar and idli are weak reasons for visiting

But TN has lots to offer within striking distance of the city: Mahabalipuram for example, and Pondicherry.
fotographer likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:23 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,039
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
One of the main reasons is that the J fare into Chennai is cheaper on OW than to BOM , even with the flight to and from BOM..
so was hoping to spend a few days on the outbound part of the trip..
like i said before, there is nothing wrong with chennai but it would not be anywhere near the top of my list of places to visit....
fotographer likes this.
Keyser is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: