Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Traveling to India on new eVisa for U.S. citizens

Old Jan 9, 20, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle

I know this is a recent development, right? Previously, U.S. citizens couldn't do the eVisa scheme. They had to send in their passports through a third party to get a paper visa?

Well, now that the eVisa is possible for U.S. citizens, I applied for the 5 year and got approved within a few days.

Only question is... since a visa is technically still required to go to India, will I be unable to check in for my flight (EWR-BOM) on the app, since they'll need to do a visa inspection?

I was only ever given an email saying that my visa had been granted, and that it was possible to confirm this by visiting their website. Not sure if printing that out and bringing it to the airport will do the trick.

Will be flying on UA if that makes a difference.
Old Jan 9, 20, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
EtV started November 2014 and US citizens were part of it from day one. The visa is linked to the passport number you entered in the application. Once you land you have to queue to get a proper visa stamp in your passport which you can use for the next 5 years.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I just got back from India a few days ago- my only suggestion is to PRINT OUT your eTa and have it handy. I was asked to see it several times on my way to India and it's much easier if you have a hard copy to show.

And FYI, the email that you received is NOT the eTA that you need to present. Go back to the website, enter your passport number and eTA application number and you can retrieve the actual eTA pdf that you need to print.
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
You should be able to check in on line but will not provide BP. Counter check in normally required to ensure you have proper documentation.
Old Jan 10, 20, 4:22 pm

what are the latest fees for eVisa?

for tourist visa of 30 days, 1 year and 5 years

Answer:

fees as well as requirements/process for Visa and eVisa are VERY different

Fees for eVisa was reviced Oct 2019 as follows:
(website where you apply for eVisa does not give this information easily)

5 years multiple entry - 80 USD
1 year multiple entry - 40 ISD
30 days double entry (Jul to March) - 25 USD
30 days double entry (April to June) - 10 USD

Day counter start from the day of eVisa approval, not from the date of entry.
It takes 2-5 days to get eVisa email. (2 business days is most commonly reported datapoint)

Last edited by desi; Jan 14, 20 at 11:07 pm
Old Jan 11, 20, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN View Post
will I be unable to check in for my flight (EWR-BOM) on the app, since they'll need to do a visa inspection?
probably....you might be able to check-in but won't get a boarding pass until they check your visa....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: