FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Less than 6 month passport validity, OCI card holder (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1996583-less-than-6-month-passport-validity-oci-card-holder.html)

sameerk26 Nov 22, 19 5:11 pm

Less than 6 month passport validity, OCI card holder

Hello,

We are travelling to India from US (PHL-Doha-Mumbai), on 6th December and returning back on 31st December 2019, however my 9 year daughter's passport is expiring in April 2020, so she has less that 6 months validity when we travel but she has a valid OCI card

I had emailed FRRO and got the following response, so i am hoping i don't have issue at Indian immigration, however i am worried if Qatar airline would allow us to board and accept the email as proof. So kindly advise if anyone recently traveled under similar situation and had any trouble. Thanks!

"As per extant guidelines Immigration authority of India has no objection provided foreign national carries valid travel documents i.e.Passport, visa/OCI Card on the day of journey. Six months validity of passport is not applicable for OCI card holders.
Regards,
Team Support/FRRO, Delhi"

Keyser Nov 22, 19 9:36 pm

you still have 2 weeks left for travel so why not renew her passport now????you will have to do so in any case in a few months....

sameerk26 Nov 22, 19 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 31767762)
you still have 2 weeks left for travel so why not renew her passport now????you will have to do so in any case in a few months....

I cannot find any appointment at the passport agency for another week and i will need to apply for Evisa as OCI will become invalid due to new passport. So won't have time to get both the new passport as well as the Evisa.

oliver2002 Nov 23, 19 12:50 am

Indian authorities don't care about the 6 month validity, some airlines do. You will be fine. Also if you have an oci and are below 20 you should update renew the oci card but since it takes a while it is sufficient to carry the old passport along. With children people tend to be a bit more lenient. You definitely don't need an evisa.

Maxwell Smart Nov 23, 19 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31768019)
Indian authorities don't care about the 6 month validity, some airlines do. You will be fine. Also if you have an oci and are below 20 you should update renew the oci card but since it takes a while it is sufficient to carry the old passport along. With children people tend to be a bit more lenient. You definitely don't need an evisa.

I wouldn't be too sure.

Qatar Airlines is who you need to contact ASAP, to see if they will allow boarding if the passport expires in less than 6 months. And if they say it's okay, GET IT DOCUMENTED SOMEHOW so you don't get an unpleasant shock at checkin.

I had a very similar issue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/indi...-passport.html) and both Etihad and Emirates specifically told me that per their AIRLINE policy, they would NOT allow travel with less than 6 months remaining on the passport, regardless of what the Indian govt says (and also implied that most airlines have a similar rule).
We ended up having to get a same-day passport at the Washington DC passport office on the day of flight.

Given that you're in Philadelphia and still have a couple of weeks, I'd seriously consider getting a new passport either through a service or in person before travel.

GUWonder Nov 24, 19 5:01 am

I have seen too many airlines act as if the potential hosting government passport expiration period rules applicable to foreign tourists is applicable to people who have travel documents that make those government rules inapplicable. Every few months this year, I've seen airlines make a fuss over this kind of thing for my travel party members; and the list of airlines making a fuss include US and EU airlines, with LH and SK being the two most recent to make a fuss for my travel party members this quarter.

While the government rules allow for it, the airline and/or airline reps can and do have their own ideas at time. US-EU dual-citizens with OCI having issues over unexpired passport validity being 2-3 months out? Seen it even on US-EU trips and on EU-India trips that are non-stop.

The OP could try to go to the PHL passport agency office -- even without an appointment -- while having their ticketed itinerary printout with them for a journey that is within 2 weeks. And if wanting an appointment, call up late at night or very early in the morning for an appointment within 24-hours and you may find there to be more appointment slots. Personally, I would just show up anyway at the passport agency offices and get it done and expect it back later the same-day or before the next day's evening with an in-person drop-off and in-person pick-up were I to be the applicant.

sameerk26 Nov 24, 19 10:12 am

Thanks for your reply. You mentioned that the airline created a fuss based on you personal experience. However did they allow the person to fly?

I will check the Philly Passport Agency option, however if i get a new passport do i need to get the Evisa or will the OCI with prior passport work.

GUWonder Nov 24, 19 10:51 am

Originally Posted by sameerk26 (Post 31771839)
Thanks for your reply. You mentioned that the airline created a fuss based on you personal experience. However did they allow the person to fly?

In the instances this year, they had another passport which had more than a year of validity period remaining, but they insisted on making the booking work with the other passports and had already said they couldn’t check them in when only given the passports with only months of validity remaining on them. You may not have that benefit.

OCI with expired/cancelled/old passport taken along works just fine, at least when taken with a new US passport in the same name.

T George Dec 7, 19 4:24 pm

pls let me know how did you find out that etihad and emirates do not allow?
did u call their call centre or some other way

as lot of people have mentioned they travelled with passport expiring under 6 months with valid oci

the 6 month restriction is by destination country as some allow and some dont

T George Dec 7, 19 4:25 pm

what did you do eventually?
which airlines did you fly and was there an issue boarding?

desi Jan 10, 20 5:15 pm

Hope things worked out for Sameer.

Given his travel was during early december, advice given here to him (by people who are usually great resource on this board) of "getting new passport" would have been a terrible one. Because then, her 9 year old would have been technically in violation of not getting her OCI card re-issed.

As FFRO office writes confirmatory emails several times a day to so many asking exactly same question about 6 month validity, India which specializes in harrassing people, has no 6 moth passport validity requirement to travel (only for new visa application)

Her daughter being in technical violation with new passport would not have been a big deal all these years as most india immigration officers have always taken a very human approach to this nonsense rules over the years. Except that in October got the TOMATIC database updated. Now onus of enforcement shifted to airline at check-in. One thing to deal with indian immigration officer AFTER traveling to India and totally other to deal with trump voting 10 usd/hour idiot at the check-in counter in US.

The way it turned out that low wage contract employee cudnt handle the arithmatic required and only checked that OCI existed and people were allowed to fly from US/Canada as well as from AUS/NZ. except that indian employees at SIngapore and at Middle East airports we5re able to do the arithmatic and people WERE SENT BACK.

This laste duntil 18th december when under pressure from NRI organizations, babus relented and came up with memo that basically said "it is our rule. sir but we will stop harrassement until June 30, 2020 and then wi.l restart".

So sameer was at high risk if he would have gotten new passpoert during nov/early december timeframe AND had travelled through Middle east or singapore and had run into counter employee who KNEW the idiotic rule AND can do the arithmatic

Hope everything worked ok for him.

Pablo Narvaez Rodriguez Jan 13, 20 1:09 pm

No problem with oci

You shouldn't have a problem as we had a similar problem and no questions were asked anywhere since we had an Oci card for my child. God luck

karthi525 Mar 15, 20 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pablo Narvaez Rodriguez (Post 31945696)
You shouldn't have a problem as we had a similar problem and no questions were asked anywhere since we had an Oci card for my child. God luck

I have travel to india in June, My sons (child) US passport expires in August and he has an OCI card. Will he have issues traveling given passport will be less than 6 months in validity, here in US or in India. Assuming I renew it now, Just not sure with all coronavirus scare going on if expedite renewal will happen. If it is renewed is carrying that, the old passport and OCI sufficient. Or should I just not renew now ?

oliver2002 Mar 16, 20 7:56 am

Apply for renewal, the passport should be done by June.

GUWonder Mar 17, 20 4:40 am

Originally Posted by karthi525 (Post 32191248)
I have travel to india in June, My sons (child) US passport expires in August and he has an OCI card. Will he have issues traveling given passport will be less than 6 months in validity, here in US or in India. Assuming I renew it now, Just not sure with all coronavirus scare going on if expedite renewal will happen. If it is renewed is carrying that, the old passport and OCI sufficient. Or should I just not renew now ?

Even without an expedited renewal, I would expect that US passport applications submitted today would be back before mid-May.

Demand for ordinary US passports has probably plummeted or is about to plummet, so unless the delivery services have slow-downs or the government goes to a partial shut-down for even the passport-issuing facilities, things should work out. If really worried about getting it back on time, then look into making an appointment at (and rushing to) a US Passport Agency office to do a same-day/next-day turn for a passport application, as the US fees for the expedited passport are the same whether applied in person at a US Passport Agency office or done via other channels.