Wiki Posts
Search

What is the purpose of the OCI booklet?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aadvantage
What is the purpose of the OCI booklet?

I understand it serves as visa for life, but no one has ever stamped or marked any of the pages whenever I have used it. They always look at it, then stamp my foreign passport. What is the purpose of the pages in the booklet?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
how many pages does it have????
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It has 6 empty pages. The original purpose of those is to enter endorsements (entries by the consular officer or FRRO) or document changes (new address, change in passport number etc). Imigration is not supposed to stamp it.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge99
I understand it serves as visa for life, but no one has ever stamped or marked any of the pages whenever I have used it. They always look at it, then stamp my foreign passport. What is the purpose of the pages in the booklet?
It was done to make it look more passport like -- to convey a false sense of citizenship -- and to use it as a way for some notices/endorsements to be placed on it for when dealing with some Indian authorities. I don't know if the OCI booklets have been marked up for those who needed to get identification numbers and additional authorizations of sort after arrival in India as an OCI, but maybe some have.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta
Yes, the OCI booklet is designed to look like a passport (in line with the deliberately confusing naming of the visa as an "overseas citizen" status) but the pages seem never to be used for anything. I've never heard of anyone getting endorsements on the inner pages, but then again I only know a handful of OCI-holders. I suppose it's possible. Really, they could probably have designed it to be a card like the US "green card" or a driver's license.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
But you can stamp and sign such cards And you know Indians loove to stamp and sign stuff.

The only similar overseas citizen scheme I know of is the mavi/pembe card issued by Turkey to migrants who pick up citizenship in other countries. Sadly they named it blue card recently, so its impossible to find images of it in the interweb easily. I vaguely recall from my last trip to Turkey that my collegues looked like a service passport in a similar format to the OCI card. The images I see on the internet are more of a card but all in Turkish and very rudimentary.
Bandicoot likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by oliver2002
But you can stamp and sign such cards And you know Indians loove to stamp and sign stuff.
Yeah, all the more strange that they don't stamp the OCI booklet at all. It might actually have been interesting in the same way that collecting stamps in the passport is interesting, although considering how often I travel to India my booklet would likely have been filled up quickly with stamps - and that might result in another headache in that one might have to renew the OCI if the pages are full! :-)
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:10 pm

My Mother-in-Law's OCI card has a stamp with an endorsement for change of address (actually, a correction of address). Previously, my wife's PIO card had an endorsement to extend validity to "lifetime".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.