Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RT from midwest to New Delhi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

RT from midwest to New Delhi

I'm in Cincinnati / CVG and I'm attending my friend's wedding taking place near New Delhi / DEL. The wedding is in November (Nov. 13-17 but may go a few extra days). Kicker, I will have had leg surgery and have my leg in a straight leg brace. I know I can ask for a bulkhead or similar, but my husband and I are thinking of splurging for business or first class for the longest flight segment so that I have extra space. We don't typically fly first/business overseas so have no idea which airline to check or what a reasonable fare is. I joined First Class Flyer website as well but nothing directly on point at the moment. Any ideas about which airlines I should watch or about what might be a good fare? Or whether business is enough extra space? Thank you!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Business class fares around your travel dates from CVG to DEL are in the $4,200 + range and Premium Economy (PE) around $2,000+ whereas if you can fly out of Chicago O'Hare (ORD) British Airways (BA) has business class fares around $3,100+ and around $1,500 for PE which are great fares. I'd recommend the BA fares which are very reasonably priced (IMHO).

Try searching for fares & flights using Google Flights for the best fares for your travel dates.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
you will typically get higher fares flying out of cvg....try searching for flights out of nyc or one of the major airline hubs....you have a better chance of finding a much cheaper business class fare....this way you can buy a separate ticket from cvg to where ever you end up starting your international journey....
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JenTraveler
I'm in Cincinnati / CVG and I'm attending my friend's wedding taking place near New Delhi / DEL. The wedding is in November (Nov. 13-17 but may go a few extra days). Kicker, I will have had leg surgery and have my leg in a straight leg brace. I know I can ask for a bulkhead or similar, but my husband and I are thinking of splurging for business or first class for the longest flight segment so that I have extra space. We don't typically fly first/business overseas so have no idea which airline to check or what a reasonable fare is. I joined First Class Flyer website as well but nothing directly on point at the moment. Any ideas about which airlines I should watch or about what might be a good fare? Or whether business is enough extra space? Thank you!
Hi Jen - Agree with others to price fares from major hubs rather than CVG and then add in a connecting flight. You *should* be able to find approx USD $2800 r/t in business on Air Canada non-stop to DEL from both YVR and YYZ - they have an excellent business class product and they also have a good Premium Economy (PE) product. Similarly, out of SFO there are non-stops on United or Air India (strongly prefer UA). Either of those options would allow you to have one relatively short domestic flight and one long international. You don't say if you have a preference regarding alliance so assume you're open for any airline based on price?

If you would consider PE then BA, LH, Singapore, and ANA all have good PE products that would cost a lot less than business. Each of those would be two long flights however. AC PE is good and would be a shorter domestic connecting flight. Just be careful regarding the actual amount of leg room; presumably you would have to be in a bulkhead (not middle) in the PE cabin for it to even work. I'd strongly recommend looking at seat guru dot com for an idea of the different layouts, and also look at pictures of the seats and legroom on this board and others.

Years ago, I had to fly for a job interview in Europe days after knee surgery and I (literally and figuratively) feel your pain. Trust me, people will bump into you and bang your knee - request a wheelchair even if you don't think you need it - every bit helps. Good luck!

Last edited by Brucemcdou; Jun 27, 2019 at 7:40 am
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Hi Jen - Agree with others to price fares from major hubs rather than CVG and then add in a connecting flight. You *should* be able to find approx USD $2800 r/t in business on Air Canada non-stop to DEL from both YVR and YYZ - they have an excellent business class product and they also have a good Premium Economy (PE) product. Similarly, out of SFO there are non-stops on United or Air India (strongly prefer UA). Either of those options would allow you to have one relatively short domestic flight and one long international. You don't say if you have a preference regarding alliance so assume you're open for any airline based on price?

If you would consider PE then BA, LH, Singapore, and ANA all have good PE products that would cost a lot less than business. Each of those would be two long flights however. Just be careful regarding the actual amount of leg room; presumably you would have to be in a bulkhead (not middle) in the PE cabin for it to even work. I'd strongly recommend looking at seat guru dot com for an idea of the different layouts, and also look at pictures of the seats and legroom on this board and others.

Years ago, I had to fly for a job interview in Europe days after knee surgery and I (literally and figuratively) feel your pain. Trust me, people will bump into you and bang your knee - request a wheelchair even if you don't think you need it - every bit helps. Good luck!
Just make sure you don't sleep through the entire journey if flying Air Canada. They prefer to let sleeping passengers sleep as long as they desire.
Brucemcdou likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.