Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Help, Emergency! Fastest way to get Indian visa

Old Mar 30, 19, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold

Originally an Indian citizen, I got my US passport late last year. It took a while to get the renunciation letter.
Now we have an emergency of my immediate family member fighting for her life. I need to go to India asap.
I need to get an Indian visa.
What is the best way to get an Indian visa in a short period of time? Ideally, I would like to fly tomorrow or as early I can get the visa.
Kindly provide information, URL...
I am based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Old Mar 30, 19, 11:19 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am moving this over to the FT India Forum. Good luck.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 30, 19, 11:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
You can get an eVisa, it takes 1-2 days to be processed and you get an e-mail confirming it is granted, you won't be able to depart until you get that. If you apply now you might get it Monday morning (Indian time, late night Sunday in US East Coast), but not guaranteed, I find that they tend to be issued around 8am Indian time, though recently I've receive some at other times, as well. I'm not sure how the weekend factors into them being processed.

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/

Note that you need to apply 4 or 5 days before you arrive, but it's valid immediatley once issued, so just select the earliest possible date that you can select even if you will end up arriving sooner (I've done this, not an issue)

(I am a South African citizen and have travelled to India approximately 40 times in the past 8 years, including the use of the eVisa approximately 8 times (most recently I entered India on such a visa two days ago and have used eVisa to enter India 5 times since August).

IMPORTANT: ONLY APPLY FROM THE URL ABOVE. There are tons of scam sites which look virtually identical to the above, but they charge you massive inflated fees, and more importantly if they offer or advertise any form of expedited service: there's no such thing
obscure2k and MrM2016 like this.

Last edited by skywardhunter; Mar 30, 19 at 11:44 am
Old Mar 30, 19, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
You can get an eVisa, it takes 1-2 days to be processed and you get an e-mail confirming it is granted, you won't be able to depart until you get that. If you apply now you might get it Monday morning (Indian time, late night Sunday in US East Coast), but not guaranteed, I find that they tend to be issued around 8am Indian time, though recently I've receive some at other times, as well. I'm not sure how the weekend factors into them being processed.

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/

Note that you need to apply 4 or 5 days before you arrive, but it's valid immediatley once issued, so just select the earliest possible date that you can select even if you will end up arriving sooner (I've done this, not an issue)

(I am a South African citizen and have travelled to India approximately 40 times in the past 8 years, including the use of the eVisa approximately 8 times (most recently I entered India on such a visa two days ago and have used eVisa to enter India 5 times since August).

IMPORTANT: ONLY APPLY FROM THE URL ABOVE. There are tons of scam sites which look virtually identical to the above, but they charge you massive inflated fees, and more importantly if they offer or advertise any form of expedited service: there's no such thing
Thanks so much for all these info. Appreciate it. Went ahead and ccompleted the application form from the link you provided. Hope visa gets issued quickly.
skywardhunter and obscure2k like this.
Old Mar 30, 19, 2:07 pm

Let us know what happens!
Old Mar 30, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
While waiting for your visa you can fly on 1 ticket to SIN (buy separate ticket SIN-India) or any place a Visa is not required. You will need separate tickets or your can be denied boarding without an Indian Visa. If doesn't come through by the time you get there then just stay over. Will be fastest way to get home.
MSPeconomist and andymell like this.
Old Mar 30, 19, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
While waiting for your visa you can fly on 1 ticket to SIN (buy separate ticket SIN-India) or any place a Visa is not required. You will need separate tickets or your can be denied boarding without an Indian Visa. If doesn't come through by the time you get there then just stay over. Will be fastest way to get home.
Would even be possible on a single ticket with a stopover
Old Mar 30, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
Would even be possible on a single ticket with a stopover
Would not recommend as you could be denied boarding. I had 3 flights to Bombay and was checked at year connection before boarding.
First/any carrier has right to deny and you would be totally lost and without compensation. Not worth the risk. Better to go on a ticket to some place you would be allowed to stay without a visa.
Old Mar 30, 19, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
Would not recommend as you could be denied boarding. I had 3 flights to Bombay and was checked at year connection before boarding.
First/any carrier has right to deny and you would be totally lost and without compensation. Not worth the risk. Better to go on a ticket to some place you would be allowed to stay without a visa.
At SIN they would deny boarding, a stopover could be as long as month, and it's completely realistic that a visa would be obtained only during the stopover period.
Old Mar 30, 19, 4:16 pm

At SIN they would deny boarding, a stopover could be as long as month, and it's completely realistic that a visa would be obtained only during the stopover period.
Yes, could be a good idea- long stop over and then a flight change and pay only for the date change instead of a 2nd ticket.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Mar 30, 19, 11:13 pm

I am Malaysian and have applied for Indian evisas several times. Both Tourist/Business visas, the approval process is incredibly fast and got them in less than 24 hours (although it says it will take days). Have submitted on Friday nights and got them the next day Saturday.
Old Apr 2, 19, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kay_jay View Post
Thanks so much for all these info. Appreciate it. Went ahead and ccompleted the application form from the link you provided. Hope visa gets issued quickly.
any update????

Search this Thread