Old Feb 24, 19, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Questions for Bombay/Varkala/Kovalam Trip

Trying to allocate days. It will be something like this

Day
1: Land 10pm after LGA-YYZ-BOM, overnight BOM
2: BOM
3: Either stay one more day in BOM or BOM-TRV, then drive from airport to Varkala
4: Either Varkala or fly BOM-TRV if day 3 was spent in Bombay and drive from airport to Varkala
5: Varkala
6: Kovalam
7: Kovalam
8: Kovalam
9: 3:45am flight TRV-DOH connecting on to LHR

I know having more time would be nice, but assuming these are the only days I have, would you advise leaving BOM day 3 and spending more time in Varkala, or the extra night to relax in Bombay? I have been to BOM before and have seen the tourist sights. If I spend the extra day in the city, it will be to catch up with friends and stroll around. Also interested in opinions on Taj v. Leela in Kovalam, leaning Taj. Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 19, 6:11 pm

Programs: 9W Platinum, UA Gold, AA Silver
3 nights in Bombay is better than 2, but you have been there so you can take a better call. 5 nights in varkala + kovalam is quite good. I have stayed in Leela kovalam and it's really nice. It's atop a hill which is directly above the sea, with wonderful views. The drawback, the beach facing the property is really really tiny.
Haven't been to taj which was further down after a small village.
Old Feb 25, 19, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
since you have been to mumbai before, i would suggest 2 nights are enough....

i have stayed at the taj & have visited the leela for brunch....both are excellent properties & you can't go wrong with either....i would give a slight edge to the leela based on the location....
Old Feb 25, 19, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
since you have been to mumbai before, i would suggest 2 nights are enough....

i have stayed at the taj & have visited the leela for brunch....both are excellent properties & you can't go wrong with either....i would give a slight edge to the leela based on the location....
my only trepidation is because I will be landing at 10pm on night 1 and not at the hotel until 11 or midnight, and coming off a 15h flight, I worry the entire next day will be wasted. if it's only 2 nights in BOM, then that's the entire trip. I am still debating between the hotels, but at least at first blush the rooms at the Taj look nicer, plunge pools etc...
Old Feb 25, 19, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deepism View Post
3 nights in Bombay is better than 2, but you have been there so you can take a better call. 5 nights in varkala + kovalam is quite good. I have stayed in Leela kovalam and it's really nice. It's atop a hill which is directly above the sea, with wonderful views. The drawback, the beach facing the property is really really tiny.
Haven't been to taj which was further down after a small village.
So 5-6 nights is plenty between those two?
Old Feb 25, 19, 6:35 pm

The hotel situation at Kovalam is a bit better, but Varkala as a whole is a much better place to be. The walk along the boardwalk on the cliff over the sea is beautiful, especially if you continue north when it becomes a beach side stroll. So much more relaxing than Kovalam.
Old Feb 25, 19, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
The hotel situation at Kovalam is a bit better, but Varkala as a whole is a much better place to be. The walk along the boardwalk on the cliff over the sea is beautiful, especially if you continue north when it becomes a beach side stroll. So much more relaxing than Kovalam.
So you'd lean towards going early and spending less time in BOM? What hotels would you suggest in Varkala?
Old Feb 26, 19, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
my only trepidation is because I will be landing at 10pm on night 1 and not at the hotel until 11 or midnight, and coming off a 15h flight, I worry the entire next day will be wasted. if it's only 2 nights in BOM, then that's the entire trip. I am still debating between the hotels, but at least at first blush the rooms at the Taj look nicer, plunge pools etc...
i'm not a fan of mumbai & in my opinion its not the place you want to spend too much time in if you have already been there....

the taj is really nice....i really enjoyed my stay there & would definitely go back....the leela is appealing because of the location....both properties are great & you can't go wrong with either....
Old Feb 26, 19, 4:30 am

I also wouldn't be eager to spend much time in Bombay on such a short trip. Kerala is so much more relaxing.

I stay in budget places, so I can't personally suggest anything higher-end in Varkala. However, I've often walked past the Krishnatheeram Beach Resort and been very impressed with the location, at the north end of the cliff walk as it descends to the sea, almost on the beachfront. It looks very well maintained. And it gets good reviews on the booking sites. Maybe a bit pricey for Varkala because it has a pool.

But whatever you pick in Varkala, you want to be near the cliff walk, where all the restaurants are. Clafouti is especially good.

By the way, when is your trip? The season ends late March, and many restaurants and shops close then.
Old Feb 26, 19, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
I also wouldn't be eager to spend much time in Bombay on such a short trip. Kerala is so much more relaxing.

I stay in budget places, so I can't personally suggest anything higher-end in Varkala. However, I've often walked past the Krishnatheeram Beach Resort and been very impressed with the location, at the north end of the cliff walk as it descends to the sea, almost on the beachfront. It looks very well maintained. And it gets good reviews on the booking sites. Maybe a bit pricey for Varkala because it has a pool.

But whatever you pick in Varkala, you want to be near the cliff walk, where all the restaurants are. Clafouti is especially good.

By the way, when is your trip? The season ends late March, and many restaurants and shops close then.
December, I have started WAY advance planning.
Old Feb 26, 19, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
i'm not a fan of mumbai & in my opinion its not the place you want to spend too much time in if you have already been there....

the taj is really nice....i really enjoyed my stay there & would definitely go back....the leela is appealing because of the location....both properties are great & you can't go wrong with either....
My main concern is i'll be exhausted from the 15 hour flight, then by the time I get to the hotel it'll be midnight. Wake up late and have to go back to the airport the next morning for the flight south. Might be nice to have another day in BOM to recover and adapt to the time but you're probably right. I should just bite the bullet and get up and go south and recover on the beach.
Old Feb 26, 19, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I booked 2 nights at the Intercon Marine Drive with points, then I am waiting on the flights BOM-TRV to drop as they were $50 cheaper yesterday and will likely go back down later this week. I will play it by ear in Varkala. I now have 3 days budgeted for Varkala. If I hate it, I suppose I can always go to Kovalam earlier. Booked the Taj, the sea view suites with plunge pools looked like a nice relaxing way to end the trip. Very excited to see Kerala! Anything that is a must do besides seeing the backwaters and lying on the beach?
Old Feb 27, 19, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My main concern is i'll be exhausted from the 15 hour flight, then by the time I get to the hotel it'll be midnight. Wake up late and have to go back to the airport the next morning for the flight south. Might be nice to have another day in BOM to recover and adapt to the time but you're probably right. I should just bite the bullet and get up and go south and recover on the beach.
good call....if i had nothing to do in mumbai then i would definitely opt to recover on the beach in the south as opposed to spending another day in mumbai....
Old Mar 23, 19, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Glad I booked AI instead of 9W from BOM to TRV, looks like 9W might not be around by Dec
Old Mar 25, 19, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad I booked AI instead of 9W from BOM to TRV, looks like 9W might not be around by Dec
december is a long way off....9w might not be around next week....

Search this Thread