FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   any reliable and inexpensive car service at Chennai airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1945090-any-reliable-inexpensive-car-service-chennai-airport.html)

metoo Dec 10, 2018 5:52 pm

any reliable and inexpensive car service at Chennai airport

I will have 2 ATM cards from B of A and Charles Schwab but just in case I am not able to receive money from the ATM at Chennai airport to pay for a taxi, can anyone recommend a reliable car service to take me to Courtyard Chennai hotel around 11 Ish at night.

Keyser Dec 11, 2018 1:20 am

Originally Posted by metoo (Post 30520851)
I will have 2 ATM cards from B of A and Charles Schwab but just in case I am not able to receive money from the ATM at Chennai airport to pay for a taxi, can anyone recommend a reliable car service to take me to Courtyard Chennai hotel around 11 Ish at night.

uber is an option & there are also prepaid taxi counters at the airport where you can pay by card....

metoo Dec 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Keyser- Which prepaid taxi? Fasttrack? black and yellow government taxi? for paying by credit card

Also, once I pay , do I give the receipt to the taxi man once I'm in the taxi or does someone walk me to the taxi? I don't want to give it to the wrong person.

Keyser Dec 18, 2018 5:55 am

i always use uber so can't comment which taxi will be the best....but the procedure is simple....you pay at the counter & they give you a slip with your taxi number & the location where it is parked....you walk out to that parking location, locate your cab & give the driver the slip....

Kingboomer Dec 26, 2018 2:10 am

Originally Posted by metoo (Post 30546932)
Keyser- Which prepaid taxi? Fasttrack? black and yellow government taxi? for paying by credit card

Also, once I pay , do I give the receipt to the taxi man once I'm in the taxi or does someone walk me to the taxi? I don't want to give it to the wrong person.

fast track is safe and reliable. i would highly recommend uber. very convenient and easy. Just need to exit the terminal and walk straight to the "India flag"

IAN-UK Dec 26, 2018 7:36 am

Originally Posted by jiteshjerome (Post 30574350)
fast track is safe and reliable. i would highly recommend uber. very convenient and easy. Just need to exit the terminal and walk straight to the "India flag"

I've seen the India Flag reference in tripadvisor. But In practice I was directed to a spot that was easy to find, but bore no relation to any sort of flag.

All in all, a great service, a good price and easy to use.

EYrevanchist Sep 29, 2019 2:07 am

Originally Posted by metoo (Post 30520851)

Try Blacklane, they have a fleet of Mercedes and would be pre-arranged, saving you a headache.

Kingboomer Sep 29, 2019 2:10 am

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist (Post 31574900)
Try Blacklane, they have a fleet of Mercedes and would be pre-arranged, saving you a headache.

Why spend 100 usd on blacklane? Uber and fast track is around 8 usd and u can pay using credit cards with both

EYrevanchist Sep 29, 2019 5:11 am

I wish blacklane was cheaper, but other options are genuinely terrible.

IAN-UK Sep 29, 2019 5:56 am

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist (Post 31575164)
I wish blacklane was cheaper, but other options are genuinely terrible.

On a second visit, again I had no problem at all with Uber. Perhaps i've had staggering good luck: perhaps an Indian SIM in my phone helped.

EYrevanchist Sep 29, 2019 6:21 am

The thing is, Uber black does not exist in Chennai.

In many cases I can have family pick me up in Chennai (S Class), but on red-eye's I do not seek to inconvenience them.
I fly to and fro MAA on average 1-2 times a month.
I fly EK J or rarely F and I always get the Blacklane chauffeur complimentary, where it a toss-up between a C and E class.

IAN-UK Sep 29, 2019 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist (Post 31575264)
The thing is, Uber black does not exist in Chennai.

In many cases I can have family pick me up in Chennai (S Class), but on red-eye's I do not seek to inconvenience them.
I fly to and fro MAA on average 1-2 times a month.
I fly EK J or rarely F and I always get the Blacklane chauffeur complimentary, where it a toss-up between a C and E class.

Though we are doubtless all filled with joy at your good fortune, many of us have to fend for ourselves at airports. For me, Uber's a preferred option, and it works well at MAA: at airports where it does not, regular taxis are my fall back.

EYrevanchist Sep 29, 2019 7:49 pm

I don't know what car hotels provide on transfers, but I'd assume a Mercedes of some sort.

EYrevanchist Sep 30, 2019 4:01 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 31576556)
regular taxis are my fall back.

Non-functional air-conditioning, smells of sweat, dirty rundown cars of budget makes... NO THANKS!
Anyways, thanks for the great business idea :cool:

Keyser Sep 30, 2019 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist (Post 31577887)
Non-functional air-conditioning, smells of sweat, dirty rundown cars of budget makes... NO THANKS!
Anyways, thanks for the great business idea :cool:

to each their own....i always order an uber xl & typically end up getting an innova....99.99% of people don't need a mercedes for an airport transfer....