FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Chinese Visa in Delhi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1939227-chinese-visa-delhi.html)

Monking Nov 6, 2018 8:59 am

Chinese Visa in Delhi

I am visiting Delhi for a week. I am a US Passport holder with an OCI. Can I apply for a Chinese Visa from their Delhi embassy and can I do a walk in application or do I have to go through a visa facilitation agency?

889 Nov 7, 2018 4:00 am

I believe that in theory at least, the agreement between the US and China on ten-year visas allows you to apply at any Chinese embassy or consulate. That said, it's always in the practical jurisdiction of the staff there to brush you off, usually not by saying "No" in explicit terms but by coming up with document requirements or such you can't possibly meet.

That is, no harm trying but I wouldn't make expensive plans to fly to China, say, until I had the visa in hand.

IAN-UK Nov 7, 2018 4:19 am

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 30403376)
I believe that in theory at least, the agreement between the US and China on ten-year visas allows you to apply at any Chinese embassy or consulate. That said, it's always in the practical jurisdiction of the staff there to brush you off, usually not by saying "No" in explicit terms but by coming up with document requirements or such you can't possibly meet.

That is, no harm trying but I wouldn't make expensive plans to fly to China, say, until I had the visa in hand.

I was assured the Phnom Penh mission would be able to handle my visa application efficiently. In PNH for a week, this would have saved significant time, and money, over travelling through Hong Kong. But the message on the ground was complete unwillingness to match the promise, and handing over my passport for an open ended period was a no-no.

So another warning not to bank on the Indian consulate playing ball.

Keyser Nov 7, 2018 8:48 am

i would say the chances are pretty low that you would be able to get the visa in delhi....

889 Nov 7, 2018 11:23 am

No matter where you apply, if you have a relatively new passport, issued within the last three years or so, be sure to take it with you. They'll probably want to see it. Ditto previous Chinese visa.

JamesKidd Nov 9, 2018 8:47 am

Would you be able to use TWOV ? Most bigger cities allow 5 days now, but obviously there are restrictions especially on how to get in and out, limitation on the cities you can visit, etc. If work related travel, it usually works well.

Monking Nov 26, 2018 6:49 am

Thanks everyone. Decided against it based on your feedback and some other sources. As for TWOV as JamesKidd suggested, I wanted to make it a separate trip from India but will definitely use this next time.

jblueflyer Nov 30, 2018 12:06 am

So another warning not to bank on the Indian consulate playing ball.

I've had a reasonably positive experience applying for a Chinese visa, but then I did not have a time constraint and used an agent to expedite the process.

hartfordsam Dec 1, 2018 3:03 pm

10 years ago I was able to get a Chinese Visa in Hong Kong so it is possible.
Now the rules have changed you need an "invitation" from a Chinese citizen to apply for a Visa.