Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Ideas for a Tiger Safari

Ideas for a Tiger Safari

Old Oct 30, 18, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Ideas for a Tiger Safari

I am looking to do 4 nights at a Tiger preserve in January 2020 (I know is is a while off). We will likely be flying directly from the United States and prefer not having to drive more than 4 hours after landing (any major airport is fine). After these 4 nights, we will visit family in Madurai and Chennai so proximity is somewhat important but I am sure we can fly direct or at worse 1 stop.

We would like a luxury resort with all inclusive options. What places would you suggest? The best one I have found is
https://www.evolveback.com/kabini/

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 18, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Try looking into any of these Ranthambore resorts -- Taj/Oberoi and or Aman

Also, you can look into what Taj or Oberoi offers in other parts of India.
Old Oct 30, 18, 8:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will be at Aman-i-khas in 3 days, it's the Aman for the tiger safaris. 2.5 hour drive to/from nearest airport, Jaipur. Happy to answer any questions you might have once i get there,
Old Oct 31, 18, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
another vote for ranthambore & the aman....
Old Oct 31, 18, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks! It looks like getting to Jaipur requires me to connect in Delhi. I am tentatively looking at IAH-DOH-DEL which lands at 235 AM or so. I would then have to connect to Jaipur which would make a very long travel day. I will keep looking at routing options.
Old Nov 4, 18, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

OK so I think the Aman-I_Khas is out for me. It comes to $6700 for 4 nights, a little too rich for me. It looks like the Oberoi Vanyavillas is a good choice at half the cost. Anyone have experience there? Also do you book your safaris through the hotel or through the preserve directly?
Old Nov 5, 18, 12:13 am

I don't know about luxury options (I tend to stay in the state tourism hotels), but Periyar (~ 165 km from Kochi), and Bandipur (~ 250 km from Bangalore, same as Kabini) may be options.
Old Nov 11, 18, 3:05 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NDtraveler View Post
OK so I think the Aman-I_Khas is out for me. It comes to $6700 for 4 nights, a little too rich for me. It looks like the Oberoi Vanyavillas is a good choice at half the cost. Anyone have experience there? Also do you book your safaris through the hotel or through the preserve directly?
I passed the Oberoi and it should be fine as a hotel but it is significantly farther from the park entrance -- like 40 minutes each way vs 15 minutes for the Aman. You book safaris through the hotel. Standard safaris are half day (morning or afternoon); if you want to stay longer, you can book a half day or full day safari. The latter are not restricted to a single zone like the former is, but that restriction is not much of a limitation as the zones are huge.

Safaris booked through the park appear to be in truck-like vehicles that hold 20 people with lots of middle seats. Furthermore, the trucks are often banned from some zones. If you are coming from far away, you do not want that. Hotel-booked safaris are in jeeps and can range from 1-6 people.
Old Dec 31, 18, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL, MR, SPG, UR, HH, UA, LUV
I traveled with Pugdundee safaris and had amazing tiger viewing experiences. I LOVE that these 5* safari lodges are completely plastic free. The pricing is also extremely reasonable.
Old Dec 31, 18, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are there any useful threads in the luxury travel forum?

Search this Thread