Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Is the Delhi metro suitable for tourists to use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I keep reading about how crowded and potentially dangerous public transport such as buses and trains are for western tourists. But does the same apply to the Delhi metro? I am someone who believes in using public transit when it's a reasonable choice and I would be interested in opinions as to whether that is the case here.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i use the metro occasionally to travel between delhi - gurgaon....it is definitely crowded but perfectly safe....
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Airport metro is excellent for going to City center as well, and that one isn't crowded at all. Recommended.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Would it be less crowded and dangerous for Eastern tourists?!

I have travelled around Delhi using the metro extensively, I've taken the Mumbai local trains (way more crowded than Delhi metro, and no AC), and the recently opened Hyderabad Metro (my 2nd home is in HYD, but I'm a "Western" person, not ethnically or racially Indian). I've also travelled over 30,000km across India by trains and several thousand km by bus. I don't suggest the latter, just because the roads suck. the trains can be an amazing experience, but if you're concerned about the metro being safe maybe not for you.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I used it to go from the airport to city centre and also within the city centre during off peak hours. It was fine, pretty modern and clean, just a little crowded.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Sounds like I should give it a try. The nearest station to my hotel appears to be a newly opened (in August) station on the pink line.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I used the metro when I visited Delhi last month and find it to be perfectly acceptable - it was crowded, but the AC was nice and cold, the trains are new (comparing to New York standards), and helped me avoid the traffic. I would definitely recommend the Airport Express though - it was a very comfortable ride (similar to Hong Kong's airport express) and gets you in downtown New Delhi in less than 20 minutes. Best of all, it only costs less than one USD. If you don't have too many luggage, I'd definitely choose the metro over taxi/Uber.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Yes! I used it plenty of times without an issue.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
@samwise6222 - This is off-topic but your TR about missed flight is epic and as someone who get a thrill out of being just on time /barely making it scared the crap out of me. NeverAgain.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by rtgta
@samwise6222 - This is off-topic but your TR about missed flight is epic and as someone who get a thrill out of being just on time /barely making it scared the crap out of me. NeverAgain.
lol that's why I wrote it.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:43 pm

There seem to be groups of young men on the Delhi Metro who make a contact sport of getting on and off the train, smashing their way very physically through all in their way. Really unpleasant.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by samwise6222
Yes! I used it plenty of times without an issue.
Same here. And there are definitely some times where taking road transport is a huge disadvantage over taking the Delhi metro as a tourist. But I mix and match transport modes in Delhi.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Same here. And there are definitely some times where taking road transport is a huge disadvantage over taking the Delhi metro as a tourist. But I mix and match transport modes in Delhi.
Not to mention Delhi metro has ladies only car too

If you are a traveling couple, you can let your gf/ so/ wife in a much comfier car (w/o unwanted touching) by traveling like this.

(sorry for the paint job)

Last edited by samwise6222; Oct 10, 2018 at 9:22 am
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Getting back to everyone as the OP -- rode the metro a bunch of times while in Delhi. It's a good system, works fine, with frequent trains. Sure it can get crowded but I never saw it anywhere near as crowded as the subway gets in Hong Kong, not to mention Tokyo. Cheap too; most rides are 30 rupees (about 35 cents US), but if you buy a cash card, it is even cheaper.

Despite it already being a large system, the main negative is that stations are often not near the key tourist attractions, so you have to toss in a walk or tuk-tuk ride at each end.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:46 am

Hey,
Delhi metro is suitable for tourists. The entire metro system is very organized and there are signs everywhere in case you feel lost.
The help-desk people are also very helpful!
All-in-all Delhi metro is very much east to use.

The only downside is that there will be a lot of people travelling and that might surprise tourists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.