Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Air India Toilets

Air India Toilets

Old Sep 2, 18, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Air India Toilets

I have an upcoming trip to India and I am getting a good deal on a Air India flight. Thing is, in all these years, I have only flown Air India once 10 years ago. I am not one of those who can hold off going to the toilet for 13plus hours. My experience ten years ago was traumatic and still remember the flooded toilet floors, non-flushed toilets and soiled toilet seats and empty water bottles-you-know-used-for-what. I know Air India is predominantly used by us Indians (visiting Indian parents mostly) and most of them are not used to a dry toilet. Is this still the case or did it get any better?
Old Sep 3, 18, 3:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its not the most hygenic place, but not much different from the levels you would see on other western/middle eastern carriers flying to India. Just carry a packet of hygene wipes and if things are wet, soak it up with the paper towels available in the lavatory??
Old Sep 3, 18, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Oh yeah I do that regardless of any flight. I usually have two favorite routes. One is Newark to Mumbai direct on United which is okay experience and the other one is Emirates to Dubai and to Mumbai from there.
Old Sep 3, 18, 12:51 pm

Last year I flew EWR-BOM-EWR on Air India and I was really afraid but in the end I had nothing to worry about, the service was just fine, food edible and toilets were clean and usable both ways.

​​​​​​​But with AI past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Old Sep 3, 18, 12:56 pm

Just saw one of your replies, United seats are about an inch smaller in width then AI, I have also flown Emirates on the same route, A380 from JFK to DBX and 777 from DBX to BOM and the A380 is a very comfortable aircraft much better then the 777. I would choose Emirates over AI specially the A380 any day but now Emirates wants $40 to pre select a seat in Y on EACH LEG, highway robbery.
Old Sep 4, 18, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Monking View Post
I have an upcoming trip to India and I am getting a good deal on a Air India flight. Thing is, in all these years, I have only flown Air India once 10 years ago. I am not one of those who can hold off going to the toilet for 13plus hours. My experience ten years ago was traumatic and still remember the flooded toilet floors, non-flushed toilets and soiled toilet seats and empty water bottles-you-know-used-for-what. I know Air India is predominantly used by us Indians (visiting Indian parents mostly) and most of them are not used to a dry toilet. Is this still the case or did it get any better?
the toilet situation is not bad now on the route you are looking to fly....this is usually a problem flying between the middle east - india....
Old Jan 8, 19, 7:01 am

Yes it still exists now also, Recently in my March 2018 trip i have experienced same which you had mentioned.

Search this Thread