Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kerala luxury houseboat booking tips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Kerala luxury houseboat booking tips

Four of us, all adults, will be in Kochi in late November 2018 for a four night visit, transiting to CMB. Hoping to book a two night houseboat trip on the backwaters in advance. Planning to stay at either the Marriott or Le Meridien. Any recommendations on a reliable agency for booking a luxury class houseboat or a direct booking resource? Specific vessel names would be helpful. Also, should we consider staying somewhere closer to the docks in Alleppey/Kumarakom? TIA.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sfernando
Four of us, all adults, will be in Kochi in late November 2018 for a four night visit, transiting to CMB. Hoping to book a two night houseboat trip on the backwaters in advance. Planning to stay at either the Marriott or Le Meridien. Any recommendations on a reliable agency for booking a luxury class houseboat or a direct booking resource? Specific vessel names would be helpful. Also, should we consider staying somewhere closer to the docks in Alleppey/Kumarakom? TIA.
i booked a luxury houseboat through the le méridien when i stayed there last....i was looking for the information but can't find them in my emails so your best bet would be to get in touch with the property & they should be able to arrange that for you....
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Will do. Any opinion on Le Meridien versus Marriott as a hotel choice? I see that you're a frequent visitor to the area.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sfernando
Thank you. Will do. Any opinion on Le Meridien versus Marriott as a hotel choice? I see that you're a frequent visitor to the area.
i've never stayed at the marriott so can't comment on that....but i would recommend the le méridien....i've never had a bad stay there....
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I have been to both hotels ( but have not stayed in either ) . I was born in Kochi and still visit every year.

Both have advantages and disadvantages

Le meridian : Closer to nature and has a waterway near it . More greenery around. Slightly older property but they seemed to have kept up the maintainence when i last went there around 5 years ago

Marriott Kochi. : Right next to Lulu Mall ( biggest mall in Kerala ) with excellent food /shopping choices . The mall now has direct connectivity with the Metro ( The mall/metro link opened only a few week ago) and is a very quick way for getting around .

The only drawbacks in that area is that it is very overdeveloped ( right on a busy junction ) and the traffic in that area can be a nightmare sometimes .

This is not an issue if you are using the metro but if you are using a taxi it can sometimes take longer. Things might be better now.

The other thing about the marriott was that did not have a alcohol license as of last year. Not sure if this is sorted now..

​​
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you, @Keyser, @ukdoctor. Appreciate your perspectives.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
You can get additional information on Kerala Houseboats in one of the Stickies in the Kerala Forum here
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:45 pm
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
I have stayed at the Marriott by Lulu Mall. Both hotels are about a 1.5 hours drive from Alleppey, where the houseboats leave from.
I agree that it is best to arrange through your hotel. The trip will include pickup/drop off at your hotel, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.