Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

South India - August 2018

Old Jul 11, 18, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Hallo everybody
this august I am going to spend a couple of weeks in India with my family.
Already been there (Agra, Jaipur, Amanbagh, Aman i khas, Udaipur) and even if is monsoon season, we would like to visit south India.
I suppose Kerala is terrible wet, but Tamil Nadu should be hot but better.
Any suggestion for nice hotels in the area ?

Thanks a lot

Fabrizio
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the FT India Forum.
Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:54 pm

I'm also going to South India for two weeks in September and am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the following itinerary:
Chennai (1 night) -> Kochi (1 night) -> Munnar (3 nights) -> back to Kochi and catch a flight to VTZ (wedding and ostensibly the raison d'etre for the trip) (3-4 nights in VTZ) -> HYD (3 nights) -> back to MAA to fly out
Old Jul 13, 18, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Fabrico View Post
Hallo everybody
this august I am going to spend a couple of weeks in India with my family.
Already been there (Agra, Jaipur, Amanbagh, Aman i khas, Udaipur) and even if is monsoon season, we would like to visit south India.
I suppose Kerala is terrible wet, but Tamil Nadu should be hot but better.
Any suggestion for nice hotels in the area ?

Thanks a lot

Fabrizio
which places in kerela or tamil nadu are you looking to visit????do you have status in any hotel chains????are you looking for 5 star properties or budget hotels????
Old Aug 28, 18, 1:08 pm
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
The recent floods rule out Kerala and southwestern Karnataka.

Your choice may be limited to Tamil Nade, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. What are you looking for? History, temples, nature? This may help make suggestions.
Your hotel chain status may also influence this.
Old Aug 28, 18, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow View Post
I'm also going to South India for two weeks in September and am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the following itinerary:
Chennai (1 night) -> Kochi (1 night) -> Munnar (3 nights) -> back to Kochi and catch a flight to VTZ (wedding and ostensibly the raison d'etre for the trip) (3-4 nights in VTZ) -> HYD (3 nights) -> back to MAA to fly out
Hey hinducow. I grew up in VTZ. Happy to answer any questions you might have about VTZ.

Since your trip centers around VTZ and HYD, if you have not already booked your ticket or have the ability to change it, I'd nix MAA and fly in and out of HYD. EK and EY fly there. To get to Munnar, is still a two flight trip either from MAA or HYD. So unless you need to fly in/out of MAA, I'd save a day or so and fly via HYD.

If you can't change the itinerary, its fine. Just don't expect to do a whole lot in MAA and Kochi in 24 hours, except go out and soak in the atmosphere.
Old Aug 28, 18, 9:12 pm

I made the same excursion up to Munnar a few years ago, and was very disappointed: it's just not in the same league as Darjeeling, Ooty and the other famous hilltowns. So you're not missing much.
Old Sep 18, 18, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by zeebanker View Post
Hey hinducow. I grew up in VTZ. Happy to answer any questions you might have about VTZ.

Since your trip centers around VTZ and HYD, if you have not already booked your ticket or have the ability to change it, I'd nix MAA and fly in and out of HYD. EK and EY fly there. To get to Munnar, is still a two flight trip either from MAA or HYD. So unless you need to fly in/out of MAA, I'd save a day or so and fly via HYD.

If you can't change the itinerary, its fine. Just don't expect to do a whole lot in MAA and Kochi in 24 hours, except go out and soak in the atmosphere.
I actually changed our final itinerary quite a bit...Flying in and out of MAA was a mistake but I booked J award tickets so I had to be flexible...I didn't realize that EY flew into Kochi directly and I should have done that instead and then maybe left from DEL if this was an option. Munnar was wonderful...we made the front page of the Kerala daily due to being some of the first tourists in the area after the flooding and mudslides. We didn't go to HYD at all, choosing to fly VTZ-DEL instead for 3 nights. That was a great decision IMO.

Overall it was a very fun trip and we found India to be very interesting.
Old Sep 18, 18, 5:38 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Glad it turned out all right.
Old Sep 18, 18, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow View Post
I actually changed our final itinerary quite a bit...Flying in and out of MAA was a mistake but I booked J award tickets so I had to be flexible...I didn't realize that EY flew into Kochi directly and I should have done that instead and then maybe left from DEL if this was an option. Munnar was wonderful...we made the front page of the Kerala daily due to being some of the first tourists in the area after the flooding and mudslides. We didn't go to HYD at all, choosing to fly VTZ-DEL instead for 3 nights. That was a great decision IMO.

Overall it was a very fun trip and we found India to be very interesting.
Awesome.
Old Mar 6, 19, 10:53 am

Hey peeps. Just like to point out that Kerala has recovered from the flood and is absolutely ready to welcome travellers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: