Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

UK Visa [for Indian Passport holder] required for IAH-SIN-DEL?

UK Visa [for Indian Passport holder] required for IAH-SIN-DEL?

Old Jun 20, 18, 1:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Programs: Jet Privilege
Posts: 146
Exclamation UK Visa [for Indian Passport holder] required for IAH-SIN-DEL?

Guys, I'll be flying IAH-MAN-SIN-DEL on 3rd November from Houston in SQ's J. Redeemed that with 1,10,000 KF miles and $25.

My query is for the quick stopover at Manchester. As Indian passengers require UK visa to enter the country, would I require a transit visa for this quick transit (1 hour 30 mins) as well? I have read that US visa holders are generally exempted but I wanted to be sure. So if anyone of you has done that transit before on that flight or has info pertaining to it, please share and let me know.

Thanks very much.
Vishal Mehra is offline  
Old Jun 20, 18, 2:10 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,004
us visa holders are exempt....
Vishal Mehra likes this.
Keyser is online now  
Old Jun 20, 18, 10:00 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,082
Subject line omits crucial information and makes no sense.

Your US visa has to be current...you may be legally in the US after your visa expires, since a US visa needs to be valid only for entry; but an expired US visa doesn't waive the transit visa requirement.
Vishal Mehra likes this.
SeeBuyFly is offline  
Old Jun 20, 18, 10:12 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Programs: Jet Privilege
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
us visa holders are exempt....
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
Subject line omits crucial information and makes no sense.

Your US visa has to be current...you may be legally in the US after your visa expires, since a US visa needs to be valid only for entry; but an expired US visa doesn't waive the transit visa requirement.
Thanks for the reply guys.

My US Visa would be current and valid. Have any one of you done this before? The last thing I would want is to be turned away at the SQ counter in IAH due to no UK visa
Vishal Mehra is offline  
Old Jun 20, 18, 10:41 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,082
Originally Posted by Vishal Mehra View Post
Thanks for the reply guys.

My US Visa would be current and valid. Have any one of you done this before? The last thing I would want is to be turned away at the SQ counter in IAH due to no UK visa
The rules are well known, not new or secret. You can easily find the official rules by searching on the web, you don't need to conduct a poll of people's personal experiences.

For example: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
You’ll need a visa to pass through the UK in transit (unless you’re exempt)
You should apply for a Direct Airside Transit visa if you arrive in the UK on a flight and leave again without passing through immigration control.
Exemptions
You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:
a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA...
Every check-in agent of every airline knows the rules. But you can print out and carry a copy of the official web page if you are worried.

PS Why was this question about flying SQ and needing a visa for the UK posted in the "India-based airlines" forum?

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jun 20, 18 at 11:55 am
SeeBuyFly is offline  
Old Jun 20, 18, 11:12 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,082
Another issue: SQ flies from IAH to MAN and the same plane continues to SIN. Most likely you won't even be allowed to get off the plane, and if so the question of a transit visa does not arise.

If your ticket says IAH-SIN as stated in the subject line, rather than IAH-MAN-SIN, then technically you do not have a transit in the UK.
SeeBuyFly is offline  
Old Jun 20, 18, 12:31 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Programs: Jet Privilege
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
The rules are well known, not new or secret. You can easily find the official rules by searching on the web, you don't need to conduct a poll of people's personal experiences.

For example: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
Every check-in agent of every airline knows the rules. But you can print out and carry a copy of the official web page if you are worried.

PS Why was this question about flying SQ and needing a visa for the UK posted in the "India-based airlines" forum?
I did check and I mentioned that In my first post as well, but knowing experience of fellow pax who have traveled the same route helps and brings peace of mind. Pardon me if you didn't like the "poll"

Posted it here because of the Indian pax connection. In fact I posted something similar in the SQ forum as well, ZERO response so far. Whereas here, you two kind souls have elevated my doubts

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
Another issue: SQ flies from IAH to MAN and the same plane continues to SIN. Most likely you won't even be allowed to get off the plane, and if so the question of a transit visa does not arise.

If your ticket says IAH-SIN as stated in the subject line, rather than IAH-MAN-SIN, then technically you do not have a transit in the UK.
The getting off the plane happens actually as the aircraft is refuelled at MAN and the ticket mentions those two segments separately.
Vishal Mehra is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: