Reload this Page >

Chennai transit options ?

Old Apr 1, 18, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold

Hi there,

I am arriving 3:30 AM at Chennai from London and leaving for Singapore at 11:00 AM.
I have visa to enter India so both on and off airport options are available for me. What is the
best way to get some rest for a few hours ?

Thanks in advance for suggesting some options...F.A.
Old Apr 1, 18, 4:26 pm
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
I notice that you are SPG Gold. There is a SPG ITC luxury collection property less than a mile from the airport - the ITC Grand Chola. They have a complimentary car ride to/from the airport. Maybe an option to consider.

I stayed there two years ago - wonderful property, and would highly recommend it.
Old Apr 1, 18, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yrs View Post
I notice that you are SPG Gold. There is a SPG ITC luxury collection property less than a mile from the airport - the ITC Grand Chola. They have a complimentary car ride to/from the airport. Maybe an option to consider.

I stayed there two years ago - wonderful property, and would highly recommend it.
Thanks. I saw that they are charging $150+ for room which I would use for say 4 hours max. Sounds steep !
I also noticed that there is on airport option but not available to reserve ? Would love to see if anyone
has used it before ? Charges ?
Old Apr 2, 18, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by yrs View Post

the itc grand chola is actually around 5 miles from the airport & they do not offer a free airport ride....the property is great though & i stay here most times when in chennai....

the le royal méridien on the other hand is slightly closer (maybe around 3 miles) to the airport & would be a much better option given that the op will only be there for a few hours....
Old Apr 2, 18, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by flyalways View Post
Thanks. I saw that they are charging $150+ for room which I would use for say 4 hours max. Sounds steep !
I also noticed that there is on airport option but not available to reserve ? Would love to see if anyone
has used it before ? Charges ?
i would suggest using the le royal méridien....it would be a much cheaper & is only a cat 1 property so using points would be a much better option....getting a taxi from the airport will cost less than inr 200....
flyalways likes this.
Old Apr 2, 18, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Also one additional question is if AI has a round the clock baggage counter for baggage check-in ?
No interlining possible between BA-AI :-(

Can I check my bag in for MAA-SIN (AI flight) at say 4:30 AM ? Full 7 hours before my flight ? That way
I can go to the hotel or air-side lounge if I decide to stay in the airport with just my carry-on ?

Looks like On-airport Dormitories are closed for renovation :-(
https://aai.aero/sites/default/files...m%20notice.pdf

If someone has any recent experience, that would be helpful...Thanks.

Last edited by flyalways; Apr 2, 18 at 1:23 pm
Old Apr 2, 18, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also one additional question is if AI has a round the clock baggage counter for baggage check-in ?
No interlining possible between BA-AI :-(

Can I check my bag in for MAA-SIN (AI flight) at say 4:30 AM ? Full 7 hours before my flight ? That way
I can go to the hotel or air-side lounge if I decide to stay in the airport with just my carry-on ?

I found this link to on-airport dormitory / Retiring rooms but not many details. One important
detail for me is the location. If it is in Transit area then I will not be able to use it until my
onward baggage can be checked in :-(
https://aai.aero/en/airports/passeng...nnai/Rest-Room

If someone has any recent experience, that would be helpful...Thanks.
once you exit baggage claim, you will not be allowed to re-enter the airport till about 4 hours before your flight....

i've never used the retiring rooms but i would be tempted to say they are located in the transit area....
Old Apr 2, 18, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
once you exit baggage claim, you will not be allowed to re-enter the airport till about 4 hours before your flight....

i've never used the retiring rooms but i would be tempted to say they are located in the transit area....
Thanks. In Mumbai arrivals and departures are connected by elevator. I do not need to get out of the building.
Is that not how it is in Chennai ?

I edited the post immediately about the Retiring rooms...they are closed now for renovation ! So the only option
is outside hotel looks like...
Old Apr 2, 18, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. In Mumbai arrivals and departures are connected by elevator. I do not need to get out of the building.
Is that not how it is in Chennai ?
the last time i did a transit in maa was last year & if i remember correctly, the domestic & international terminals are right next to each other but they are not internally connected....

I edited the post immediately about the Retiring rooms...they are closed now for renovation ! So the only option
is outside hotel looks like...
go with the le royal méridien....specially if you can use points....
Old Apr 3, 18, 6:37 am
Original Poster

the last time i did a transit in maa was last year & if i remember correctly, the domestic & international terminals are right next to each other but they are not internally connected....

go with the le royal méridien....specially if you can use points....
I am talking about International to International !
Old Apr 3, 18, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am talking about International to International !
i'm assuming you are on separate tickets....if so then once you clear immigration & customs, you will ideally not be allowed to re-enter the building till about 4 hours before your flight....
Old Oct 6, 18, 7:32 am

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
i'm assuming you are on separate tickets....if so then once you clear immigration & customs, you will ideally not be allowed to re-enter the building till about 4 hours before your flight....
Is it possible to stay airside if there is carryon luggage only? Air Asia gets in at about 22:40 and CX leaves at 2am, but they are on separate tickets. Thanks.
Old Oct 6, 18, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
Is it possible to stay airside if there is carryon luggage only? Air Asia gets in at about 22:40 and CX leaves at 2am, but they are on separate tickets. Thanks.
i've never done an international to international connection at maa so i can't say if this is possible....but you have enough time to clear immigration & then check back in for your next flight....

Search this Thread