Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Getting from the airport to the hotel in India

Old Mar 26, 18, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Like many places, I am learning that if I want the hotel to pick me up at the airport, the prices in India are crazy expensive.

For example, the Andaz Delhi, which is at the airport (their website says maximum 10 mnutes away) and even offers rooms with a runway view, wants INR1,200 for a ride to the hotel.

The hotel I have booked in Agra wants INR4,800 for an airport pickup.

Can you folks suggest the best way to get from the airport to town in Indian cities without having to fight to avoid a ripoff?
Old Mar 26, 18, 7:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I haven't stayed at Andaz but have stayed at a property next to it and I usually just take the Metro from the airport to Aerocity (one stop) and just walk to the hotel. The airport metro is clean, efficient and only cost 20 Rupees. But if you do get in at night, I'd recommend taking a Meru or Mega metered cab (there are Meru and Mega cab kiosks just outside the airport terminal).

Last edited by Peregrine415; Mar 26, 18 at 7:12 pm
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Privilege Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
there are prepaid cabs at the airport where they charge you a fixed rate upfront at the airport taxi counter so there is no chance of getting ripped off....

having said that, i always use uber & that works very well....
Old Mar 27, 18, 2:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post

Can you folks suggest the best way to get from the airport to town in Indian cities without having to fight to avoid a ripoff?
The hotel operated cars are of a certain standard. Hence the pricetag. The prepaid taxi in DEL will be not of a luxury quality, the regular uber will be a very small car (sub-compact for US standards), so make sure you pick an XL. Uber doesn't operate in Agra, but in DEL the ride should be max 300 INR to get to the Andaz Aerocity:

https://www.uber.com/de/cities/new-delhi/
Mary W and AJLondon like this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:23 am
Original Poster

How about this operation in Agra, anyone used them?

https://www.suntransfers.com/agra-airport
Old Mar 28, 18, 7:57 pm

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Uber/Ola are easy to use at most airports. However I often have issues with them cancelling or taking too long to show up. Meru and other fleet taxis are my first choice. I find that prepaid taxis are typically more expensive than Meru and are less comfortable as well.

To go to the airport I think Uber/Ola are the best bet.

Is INR 4,800 is from the Agra airport to a hotel in Agra or from the Delhi airport to a hotel in Agra?
Old Mar 29, 18, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by piyush View Post
...Is INR 4,800 is from the Agra airport to a hotel in Agra or from the Delhi airport to a hotel in Agra?
From the Agra airport to the hotel in Agra!
Old Mar 29, 18, 8:50 am
yrs

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, WN CP
Hotel provided cars are a rip off.

Your best bet would be a pre-paid taxi at the airport. These are fixed prices, pre-paid at the airport -- ensures you are not cheated.
Ola/Uber would also be good choices, but Ola requires that an Indian telephone number, and Uber requires a network connection in India (which you may not have - depending on your mobile carrier).
Old Apr 13, 18, 6:51 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I second the Meru recommendation for DEL. I just returned from a trip to India and Nepal. I had specifically booked pickup at the airport through the tour group (which was otherwise a class act- this was the only serious miss). The driver wasn't there when I arrived. I walked that line of waiting drivers at least a half-dozen times looking for the right name (and also checked the line of drivers outside). I finally gave up and found the Meru booth outside. The ones inside wanted cash and Meru was 200 INR more but I got to my hotel (the Suryaa, further out than the Aerocity complex) for the equivalent of $15. If I'd known it was going to be that straightforward I wouldn't have bothered pre-booking through the tour group. (I wasn't making air arrangements through them and came in 2 days early so needed to book the airport pickup separately.)
Old Apr 18, 18, 8:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold. MR Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
From the Agra airport to the hotel in Agra!
Download Ola, it's Indian version of Uber since the later doesn't operate in Agra. INR 8400 is comically absurd quote from Agra airport to a hotel in Agra, you should pay no more than INR 500 if for some reason you want to take a cab, Ola should be ~200 INR.

However, I am fairly certain that you can get an outstation Uber from DELto Agra, it should be roughly ~5000 INR, I know for a fact that you take an outstation Ola cab from anywhere in Delhi to Agra for about (~4000 INR). It is recommended that you schedule an outstation rideshare cab in advance although I've had no problems with on the fly bookings too.
Old Apr 19, 18, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks, but I'm actually flying to Agra from Varanasi. But I agree, in a country where labor is really cheap, INR 8400 seemed shocking to me too. That's a Hong Kong price, probably for a Rolls Royce car.
Old Apr 19, 18, 11:15 am

Programs: HH Gold. MR Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Thanks, but I'm actually flying to Agra from Varanasi. But I agree, in a country where labor is really cheap, INR 8400 seemed shocking to me too. That's a Hong Kong price, probably for a Rolls Royce car.
They have some cabs out in the airport parking lot, they tend to generally quote higher but tell them 500INR is all you are willing to pay, Ola at Agra airport is tricky because the airport is in military complex, rideshare cab drivers need to have the security people at the gate of complex (~1.5 km away) call the passengers to confirm, so that is something to keep in mind, it can sometimes be substantial wait too.
Old May 23, 18, 11:04 pm

How about this operation in Agra, anyone used them?

https://www.suntransfers.com/agra-airport

suntransfers are brokers. Similar to Viator.
They simply hook you up with a local wholesaler who wil use some local operator (each taking their huge markup)
Old May 24, 18, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by desi View Post
suntransfers are brokers. Similar to Viator.
They simply hook you up with a local wholesaler who wil use some local operator (each taking their huge markup)
So who is the local operator I should contact? They are still only quoting fares on the order of $15 from the airport to the hotel. so there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for a "huge" markup but maybe it is huge by Indian standards.
Old May 24, 18, 3:56 pm

In post #7 above, in response to question by piyush you had stated that you were being quoted INR 4800 for Agra airport to Agra hotel. Thats about 75 USD or so.
15 USD though more than quadruple what it should be,, in your shoes I would gladly pay that. Agra airport is not a regular airport in the sense that it is more of a military air base. Number of civil commercial flight it gets in a day can be counted using fingers of ONE hand. To me, having someone reliable meeting me at the airport in a foreign country especially at an airport that hardly receive any other flights is definitely worth a Hamilton.

Most people giving you advice about pre-paid booth or Meru booth may not realize that you are asking about Agra. (Their advice is totally correct for Delhi or other similar airports. Lot easier to use pre-paid or something else that has a booth rather than uber/ola or an arranged pickup). Key at Agra is to make sure that you will indeed get picked up.

If you share what hotel are you plan to stay at in Agra, someone here might be able to help (in terms of reliability and/or reasonable pickup fare)

If you have noticed either on this board or at TA, not many people fly into Agra. Agra is more like MCE near your homebase in terms of pax traffic

Last edited by desi; May 24, 18 at 4:03 pm

Search this Thread