FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Chennai [MAA] connection/departure experience reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1881542-chennai-maa-connection-departure-experience-reports.html)

stut Apr 24, 2014 6:48 am

Chennai [MAA] connection/departure experience reports

Hi All,

I note a number of older MAA transfer threads, but wonder if I can get an up-to-date perspective... While I'm used to flying in India, I don't know the MAA international terminal, and there's precious little information out there.

My intention is to fly BA LHR-MAA, arriving at (ouch) 03:30. I'd then continue to CMB on the UL flight at 09:25, on a separate ticket.

(We will return via India, with a longer stopover, either via HRI-MAA or CMB-TRZ, most likely...)

My assumptions are:
  • Although UL will probably be part of OneWorld to then, I shouldn't count on luggage being interlined.
  • I have a multiple-entry business visa, but should ensure that MrsStut has a multiple-entry tourist visa.
  • There's precious little to keep you occupied airside for a connection of that length anyway.

Does that sounds reasonable?

So, if we did want to freshen up during the layover, what would be our best option? I read that there are pretty well hidden retiring rooms over in the domestic terminal, but very little else about their location or quality.

Given the timing, we'd need an overnight (rather than day) room at one of the airport hotels - which is going to set us back around Rs 5000 on a pre-purchase rate. But the timing is awkward - I assume we won't be out the airport until about 5am, and will need to be back about 8, so I don't really want to shell out too much for a shower, nap and breakfast.

Any recommendations? How about the lounges (we may have access via BA status to the UL one if they actually join OW in time...)?

Keyser Apr 24, 2014 11:12 am

for such a short time it doesn't make sense to shell out inr 5k for a hotel room....you won't get more than a couple of hours at the hotel....the lounge options at maa are pretty weak but spending 3-4 hours there is doable....

stut Apr 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Yes, that was my thinking too. There are some cheaper options, of course, but the nicer ones seem to be in a rather less salubrious area.

Do you happen to know if any of the lounges have showers?

SQ325 Apr 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by stut (Post 22752850)
My assumptions are:
  • Although UL will probably be part of OneWorld to then, I shouldn't count on luggage being interlined.
  • I have a multiple-entry business visa, but should ensure that MrsStut has a multiple-entry tourist visa.
  • There's precious little to keep you occupied airside for a connection of that length anyway.

Does that sounds reasonable?

Yes, it does.

But, depending on how far in front you sit on your incoming flight, you might be able to clear immigration pretty fast. To reach a hotel within an hour after arrival is not unrealistic (I usually make it in 45min).

The Trident and the Radison Blue Hotel are in the vicinity of the airport about 5min by car from the terminal. Compared with the option to stay in a filthy, dated and cramped lounge, I think i would rather consider to freshen up in one of the above mentioned Hotels.
Despite knowing all three lounge options (the Royal lounge, Air India's Lounge and the Clipper Lounge (now a MasterCard Lounge)), I cant really confirm if there showers in one of the lounges. But as all of them are in the old terminal building and the washrooms being rather small, i suspect there are no showers.

stut Apr 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Well, we'll be in row 2, so should be off pretty swiftly... But we will have luggage to collect, which could be something of a leveller.

hserus Apr 25, 2014 12:06 am

Originally Posted by stut (Post 22757945)
Well, we'll be in row 2, so should be off pretty swiftly... But we will have luggage to collect, which could be something of a leveller.

There are no showers in any of the lounges at MAA

Most / all the lounges close for the night after the flights of all the airlines they serve leave. None of them is going to be open after the BA flight leaves .. they'd close for two or three hours so they can be mopped / bar stocks topped up etc before opening up again for the morning departures

So cough up the money for a hotel anyway. Besides the choices mentioned there's also a hilton.

stut Apr 25, 2014 2:12 am

Hmm, I see Trident Privilege have an offer on redemptions. This may be the time for one before the points expire...

Keyser Apr 25, 2014 2:16 am

Originally Posted by stut (Post 22754884)
Yes, that was my thinking too. There are some cheaper options, of course, but the nicer ones seem to be in a rather less salubrious area.

i normally stay at the le méridien near the airport whenever in chennai....at that time at night it will take you about 5-7 minutes to get to the hotel....i normally pay under inr 5k per night but i wouldn't be surprised if they gave you a cheaper rate if you let the property know that you only need the room for 3-4 hours....

Originally Posted by stut (Post 22754884)
Do you happen to know if any of the lounges have showers?

no showers....

SQ325 Apr 25, 2014 11:50 pm

Immigration should then be pretty swift.

I personally prefer the Hilton. Its is about 10-15mins from the airport, but for such a short layover I would recommend the Trident (was a Hilton a few years back) or Radison due to the fact that they are closer to the airport. There is a lot of construction going on along the road from airport to city, narrowing the street in a lot of spots. Traffic can be bad in the morning, therfor i would recommend stay as close as possible to avoid any risk getting stucked somewhere.

@Keyser: I heard the Le Meridien has quite dark rooms and is a bit dated?

Keyser Apr 26, 2014 1:51 am

Originally Posted by SQ325 (Post 22763607)
@Keyser: I heard the Le Meridien has quite dark rooms and is a bit dated?

the hotel is old but i always get a nice one bedroom suite which does not have a dated look at all....i don't remember ever staying in another room type here....

for me it convenient since its close to my client's office as well as the airport....plus they take real good care of me....

SQ325 Apr 26, 2014 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 22763843)
for me it convenient since its close to my client's office as well as the airport....plus they take real good care of me....

Thats why i stay at the Hilton, just 1 min further away. ;)

stut May 28, 2014 7:34 am

A quick follow-up question, if I may...

Managed to get free rooms at the Trident in both directions, which is ^

However... The rate that they charge for transfer is, well, enough for me to have three cars on a half-day rate standing by, frankly.

Is it easy enough to get a prepaid taxi for such a short distance? I assume the minimum charge will take care of the short journey annoyance.

Failing that, can you jump into an auto at departures, or is that kind of thing enforced against by the authorities?

hserus May 28, 2014 7:42 am

Chennai autos will fleece you and anyway they aren't allowed inside the terminal. You have a long walk ahead of you if you use an auto to get out / in outside the airport.

Use www.olacabs.com and book your cabs online - cheaper than the prepaid kiosks at hte airport.

ushela03 Jan 31, 2016 4:40 pm

Chennai Transit to CMB

Will arrive on an Etihad award ticket to MAA at 3:50am. Looking to purchase a separate flight on to CMB - is 2 hours a largest enough connection time?

Can I transit through the airport without a visa? Will this be an issue when I try to get on the plane in AUH?

Any help appreciated.

Keyser Jan 31, 2016 11:36 pm

i don't see any problem in india if you can show an outbound ticket....however, you may face a problem in auh....also, if you are checking in luggage then that might be an issue....