FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   India SIM cards advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1892626-india-sim-cards-advice.html)

luv2fly4free Feb 6, 2018 10:04 pm

India SIM cards advice

Any recent advice on the best SIM card brand(s) for reliable and decent data speed service for individuals traveling in the Golden Triangle and Varanasi region of India? Airtel and Vodafone? One tend to be much more affordable or more streamlined with foreigners at DEL airport for fast processing time/activation? Are all vendors AFTER immigration or are some within T3 prior to immigration?

Keyser Feb 7, 2018 12:49 am

i use airtel & am very satisfied with the network....

jio is another option that is cheap & reliable....

oliver2002 Feb 7, 2018 2:21 am

The guys at the airport know how to handle foreigners application. Airtel is very aggressive on prepaid nowadays and offers massive 1GB/day for nearly no money. Which leads to their network being overloaded though... jio is only LTE and rather nice.

Bandicoot Feb 7, 2018 3:54 pm

I've used Vodafone and have been satisfied with their service (Bangalore, Mumbai, New Delhi, Jaipur and other parts of Rajasthan, Ahmedabad, Mysore, some rural parts of Karnataka...). No personal experience with Agra or Varanasi, I'm afraid.

I'll add that the only operator about whom I have heard negative comments is BSNL - they appear not to be at all competitive in their pricing, and there are reports that roaming within India is sometimes problematic with them.

luv2fly4free Feb 7, 2018 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 29388974)
The guys at the airport know how to handle foreigners application. Airtel is very aggressive on prepaid nowadays and offers massive 1GB/day for nearly no money. Which leads to their network being overloaded though... jio is only LTE and rather nice.

Thanks for the advice about Airtel. I am unsure if Jio has sufficient coverage across my area of travel if only LTE. Wouldn't that be limiting? Typically, despite LTE increasing battery life and providing higher speeds, I find it often doesn't work as well in "weak signal" areas, unlike 3G services, which may continue to maintain a steady connection even if slower. Wouldn't there be lots of gaps in coverage with Jio as a result outside the main cities or in weak signal areas, if totally dependent on LTE service?

As for LTE, do Airtel and Vodafone have about the same level of LTE coverage?

If that is the case about Jio (see above) and it is back to choosing between Vodafone and Airtel, is it felt Airtel's network is overtaxed more so than Vodafone with Vodafone having fewer low performance/reliability issues across a wide geographical area (since less popular and less overused than Airtel's towers I assume)?

luv2fly4free Feb 7, 2018 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 29388779)
i use airtel & am very satisfied with the network....

jio is another option that is cheap & reliable....

What has your experience been with Jio outside Delhi in the areas I mentioned? Do you feel Airtel's network is overtaxed based on your travels in that region of India based on recent experience? Thanks

Keyser Feb 8, 2018 3:29 am

Originally Posted by luv2fly4free (Post 29392474)
What has your experience been with Jio outside Delhi in the areas I mentioned? Do you feel Airtel's network is overtaxed based on your travels in that region of India based on recent experience? Thanks

airtel has pretty decent coverage in all the regions you mentioned....so does jio....you can't go wrong with either....

puchong Feb 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Does Jio allow foreigners who do not have an Aadhar card to get a SIM and have pre-paid access for a limited time?

aarjavi Feb 26, 2018 12:37 am

You can use Trabug's Facility. It has a v.good network signal. Jio is also good, but might lead to network problems at times.

luv2fly4free Feb 26, 2018 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 29393239)
airtel has pretty decent coverage in all the regions you mentioned....so does jio....you can't go wrong with either....

latest pricing at DEL airport:
1000 rupees for airtel sim for the month
700 rupees for Vodafone for the month

registraration quick at airtel kiosk - people seemed friendlier at Vodafone - airtel activation happens within 4 hours or so after buying the SIM card - no passport photos or passport copies of own required - they take your photo with their camera and copy your passport - no hassle at all

SIM cards like above are available for just a couple/few hundred rupees at shops outside the airport but it is likely worth the increased cost at the airport for the seamless purchase and activation process for foreigners

889 Mar 7, 2018 2:42 am

I'm in the south, and recently bought that Rp 199 bundle from an Airtel office. It's a stunning deal: for four weeks you get 1.4GB/day of data, unlimited calls to all India, and 100SMS/day.

They only needed a passport copy and a photo and somehow took care of all the other information on the form. Total cost was Rp 250, including the SIM card.

4G seems to work fine, with no slowdown I can see.

luv2fly4free Mar 7, 2018 2:46 am

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 29494965)
I'm in the south, and recently bought that Rp 199 bundle from an Airtel office. It's a stunning deal: for four weeks you get 1.4GB/day of data, unlimited calls to all India, and 100SMS/day.

They only needed a passport copy and a photo and somehow took care of all the other information on the form. Total cost was Rp 250, including the SIM card.

4G seems to work fine, with no slowdown I can see.

The price for SIM cards and data in India is INSANE (in a very good way)

enjoy it while it lasts - sooner or later, prices will have to rise or the quality of service will end up declining with too many on their networks without funds to invest in upgrades and congested frequencies

889 Mar 7, 2018 3:06 am

Yes, I saw a newspaper story the other day saying the authorities were about to attack predatory pricing by telecoms operators.

It was right next to another story about Aircel filing for bankruptcy.

luv2fly4free Mar 7, 2018 3:08 am

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 29494995)
Yes, I saw a newspaper story the other day saying the authorities were about to attack predatory pricing by telecoms operators.

It was right next to another story about Aircel filing for bankruptcy.

Wireline service has predatory pricing? It sure seems mobile pricing is very competitive based on the low prices I observed while there.

889 Mar 7, 2018 3:20 am

The story was talking about mobile telecoms operators.