Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

BLR liquid baby formula

BLR liquid baby formula

Old Feb 2, 18, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
BLR liquid baby formula

Hi All, So I came home from BLR with my infant solo last month and thought that an update on security with formula may be in order.

I was worried about getting out with liquid formula as I've even had to explain myself in FRA and DUB before. prior to this experience DTW was the worst that I've dealt with.

Checking in with LH I mentioned to the supervisor that I was worried about getting through security with the factory sealed infant formula. He asked to see what I had (10 8oz bottles) for the 32hr trip to the states, 1 every 4hrs plus a couple extra in case of irrops or other delay. He agreed that it could well be an issue going through security and decided to accompany us from check-in to the lounge. We also left one of our checked luggage pieces behind the counter (not placing it on the conveyor belt) in the event we needed to return to check in the formula, whereby I would have only checked that bag to our layover in FRA.

Our concern was well founded as even with the evidence of an actual infant and the website saying that formula was not subject to the 100ml restrictions the chief of the security section was refusing to allow the formula through. He asked to see a doctors prescription for the formula. Which since it is not prescription I do not have, though had I known beforehand it would have been easy enough to obtain. After a good bit of back and forth from the LH rep, myself and a growing number of other travelers in line behind me (about denying an infant it's food etc), he relented to allow the formula through if I would open 1 bottle and taste it. These are the type that once opened should be used within 1hr per the directions so I could not open all the bottles.

Proceeding through the check point I opened one bottle to demonstrate figuring that I could feed the baby within that hour so it wouldn't go to waste. He said fine and I may bring 5 bottles through, the rest must be thrown away!! Needless to say I was aghast, trying to explain to him that they could not be tossed with such a long journey ahead all over again. The local LH rep also spend a good bit of time pleading my case as the supervisor walked away to his desk leaving me with another agent.

The LH rep returned after 2 or 3 minutes explaining to me that the supervisor would not budge and that he was starting to get annoyed with the LH rep so it might be better if I tried. I did to no avail. returning to the security counter the 2nd agent quietly asked me where we were going to and how long our trip was. I told him the details and pulled out my printed itinerary. He subtly motioned me to place all of the formula in my bag and to leave quickly. Needless to say I did exactly that.

In the end we made it with the food I needed for my 8 month old but we got lucky. If I were to do it over again I would obviously bring a doctor's note and probably print off the section of the website which references baby food. The fall back plan of checking the liquid formula to FRA and feeding the baby just prior to going through security would have probably worked with a very unhappy infant by the time we landed in Germany.

I don't know if the security would have reacted the same way to breast milk but I suspect that they would have. Hopefully this can help someone with future travel planning.
Old Feb 2, 18, 6:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
All very informative but may I ask why you are still using liquid ready to use formula bottles? AFAIR (and my kids are 8 & 10 years old, so the memory fades) those ready bottles are usual till about 3-4 months of age (and bloody expensive) after which you switch to formula powder?
Old Feb 2, 18, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
All very informative but may I ask why you are still using liquid ready to use formula bottles? AFAIR (and my kids are 8 & 10 years old, so the memory fades) those ready bottles are usual till about 3-4 months of age (and bloody expensive) after which you switch to formula powder?

There have been some changes, these bottles are designed for up to 12months of age and are not as atrociously expensive as the infant ones.

Honestly the main reason for using them over powder in general is my convenience. Being a male traveling extensively with an infant without my wife makes the difference between mixing a bottle and just opening one worth the extra cost. We are gradually mixing solids into his feeding routine now but his primary nutrition comes from the bottles.

Honestly I would not be surprised to find out that I am the only person to Transit Bangalore with these bottles, however I strongly suspect that the Airport security there would treat breast milk that has been pumped the exact same way.
Old Feb 5, 18, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've never had a problem in del or bom & security has never questioned taking multiple bottles of milk & formula for my 2 infant kids....i guess you are right that blr doesn't see this too often....
Old Feb 11, 18, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by AceReport View Post
Our concern was well founded as even with the evidence of an actual infant and the website saying that formula was not subject to the 100ml restrictions the chief of the security section was refusing to allow the formula through. He asked to see a doctors prescription for the formula. .
Welcome to India! Sorry, but this kind of attitude is more prevalent in India than anywhere else I have travelled.

Search this Thread