Reload this Page >

Why cannot we get deals from India to Canada

Old Jan 30, 18, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aero Plan, Marriott, Air Miles

Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the right category to post/discuss about the flight deals. Please move or point me to the right forum.
I am looking for flight deals from india (VTZ) to Canada (YYZ) for my parents during summer months (May to Sept).
I have seen several deals in the past from Toronto to India but nothing from there..
Is there any specific site to look for it (I have tried, local sites like makemytrip.com, all the airlines initiating from india..even chinees airlines) as I could not find any thing less than $1500 CAD PP.
Really appreciate if any of you come across any deal or point me to a link where I can search differently.
PS: I am trying to avoid lengthy overlays due to their age restrictions.
Old Jan 30, 18, 11:29 am
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by mkannuri View Post
Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the right category to post/discuss about the flight deals. Please move or point me to the right forum.
I am looking for flight deals from india (VTZ) to Canada (YYZ) for my parents during summer months (May to Sept).
I have seen several deals in the past from Toronto to India but nothing from there..
Is there any specific site to look for it (I have tried, local sites like makemytrip.com, all the airlines initiating from india..even chinees airlines) as I could not find any thing less than $1500 CAD PP.
Really appreciate if any of you come across any deal or point me to a link where I can search differently.
PS: I am trying to avoid lengthy overlays due to their age restrictions.
Have you checked Google Flights? I plugged in May 1 - Sept. 1 and found flights for $1233. if they can delay travel until the end of May your price will drop below $1000 per Google Flights. Your challenge, which I'm sure comes as no surprise, is that there's often a direct correlation between more expensive flights and shorter total travel duration.
Old Jan 30, 18, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
I have a few colleagues and friends who fly to Mumbai or Delhi annually and when we get to talking about airfare on occasion, they all complain about the cost as well.
Old Jan 30, 18, 11:53 am

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
What did you expect? It's a long way.
Old Jan 30, 18, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
Have you checked Google Flights? I plugged in May 1 - Sept. 1 and found flights for $1233. if they can delay travel until the end of May your price will drop below $1000 per Google Flights. Your challenge, which I'm sure comes as no surprise, is that there's often a direct correlation between more expensive flights and shorter total travel duration.
Thanks for the help, but I could not see the prices you are talking in google flight which is my default search engine ( I even tried, matrix, momendo and other sites..).
from VTZ to YYZ..nothing below $1500..that too I should avoid the Srilankan Airlines as it has more than 12hours layover in London, no OTA is issuing this ticket for Indians due to no transit visa IMHO.
I tried to book BOM/DEL and connect domestic flights separately..still they are crossing more than $1400 with 9hrs layout in either of the departing cities.
I have travelled YYZ to VTZ several times..never paid more than $1000..where as the VTZ to YYZ is above $500..
That's confusing for me..
If you come across any other alternative way to reduce the price..please help

Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
What did you expect? It's a long way.
Thanks Kevin, I know its long way..but I have seen and flown the other way around much lesser than $1000 (from Canada to India) and wondering why the opposite is $1500+ That too even for the flexible dates.

Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
I have a few colleagues and friends who fly to Mumbai or Delhi annually and when we get to talking about airfare on occasion, they all complain about the cost as well.
Hmm..actually from Canada (Toronto) to india there are always deals if you plan early or flexble dates..i myself flew several times under $1000..
But my problem is originating from india to Canada is always $500 difference..that too with long layovers.
from VTZ to YYZ..nothing decent under $1500 despite flexible dates/months..

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 31, 18 at 12:19 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 30, 18, 2:16 pm

I read on a blog that Air China is having a sale from Canada to India this week-end.

https://nextdeparture.ca/flight-deal...cluding-taxes/

But I can't find if they are offering anything in reverse.

Maybe take a look at their India site?

That blog is very good for posting Canadian deals, btw. And he will often mention if the deal works in reverse. As does yyzdeals.com, another blog worth tracking for flight prices to/from Toronto (and other cities).
Old Jan 30, 18, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you,I have already subscribed to both of them and even booked few time of their deals.Just now I saw a deal to india (Banglore BLR) for $690 from Toronto (YYZ), but nothing in reversal though.This is what I am taking and curious, why there are no deals at all from india to either Canada or USA? No of flights fly from there to this part of the world, but yet to see any deals or error/mistake fares originating from india though.Well, will wait for few more weeks before buying their regular flights with 10hrs of layover :-(
Old Jan 30, 18, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
There are reasons you can't find any deals. In fact, you are not supposed to find any deals in this instance.

1. Summer is a peak travel season, which the airfare is typically high regardless when you buy it.

2. VTZ is not a major airport. In some instances, the segmental cost for VTZ-DEL/BOM can easily exceed DEL/BOM-YYZ because interlining will be required.

IMHO - unless you can take VTZ out of the equation, I don't see how you can find any decent deals at all.
Old Jan 30, 18, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks for the help, but I could not see the prices you are talking in google flight which is my default search engine ( I even tried, matrix, momendo and other sites..).
from VTZ to YYZ..nothing below $1500..that too I should avoid the Srilankan Airlines as it has more than 12hours layover in London, no OTA is issuing this ticket for Indians due to no transit visa IMHO.
I tried to book BOM/DEL and connect domestic flights separately..still they are crossing more than $1400 with 9hrs layout in either of the departing cities.
I have travelled YYZ to VTZ several times..never paid more than $1000..where as the VTZ to YYZ is above $500..
That's confusing for me..
If you come across any other alternative way to reduce the price..please help
Go to Google Flights and enter May 1 to Sept. 1 as the travel dates. Once it brings up the prices, click the calendar icon to the left of May 1. It will then populate the month's calendars with the lowest airfares available on each date. May 25-Sept. 28 is $975, for example.
Old Jan 30, 18, 4:53 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Have you tried breaking up the trip and searching each segment separately? First, search for two one-way tickets separately instead of a round trip. Then, break up each one-way even further, for example, one search from Canada to BOM or DEL and then a separate domestic flight to the final destination.
Old Jan 30, 18, 8:39 pm

The market dictates. Full planes going one way, and not-so-full planes going the other way. Higher prices one way, and deals to be had going the other way.
Old Jan 30, 18, 8:44 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
The market dictates. Full planes going one way, and not-so-full planes going the other way. Higher prices one way, and deals to be had going the other way.
+1 yup. India is a packed market- hard to find a deal.
Old Jan 30, 18, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
Have you tried breaking up the trip and searching each segment separately? First, search for two one-way tickets separately instead of a round trip. Then, break up each one-way even further, for example, one search from Canada to BOM or DEL and then a separate domestic flight to the final destination.
I think it unlikely that the OP will be successful finding cheaper one-way tickets from India to Canada. Splitting it at the gateway city, sure, but not splitting into a one-way trip.
Old Jan 30, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
ITA matrix is always the answer.

Cheapest flights by month of departure (all prices in USD):

May: $1048
June: $1048
July: $1173
August: $1692
September: $1692

This is a useful tool, you should take some time to learn to use it. Change some parameters to see if you can find better fares than the ones listed above.
Old Jan 31, 18, 2:31 am

ex-Colombo (not that far away from you) is famous for excellent fares. I think at times there will always be a good deal from there to North America. (if you're willing to position yourself at both ends).

if you're only fixed on that particular route, well... good luck.

Search this Thread