Wiki Posts
Search

Why cannot we get deals from India to Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
The market dictates. Full planes going one way, and not-so-full planes going the other way. Higher prices one way, and deals to be had going the other way.
It would be great if it did.
Its actually the very opposite that is happening.

Air Canada is receiving a subsidy from the government to keep out any competition, which if allowed, would flood this particular market with affordable airfare.
Emirates, Etihad and Qatar are restricted to 3x weekly flights to Canada. If the market truly dictated, we would see competition instead of Air Canada's profits being protected.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Good post........the same can be said for our cellular and TV companies as well.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:51 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Please continue the discussion as the thread relocates to the India forum.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Flights ex BOM are 1000CAD return. You have to sadly make a decision to transit in BOM to avail of decent fares. Or get in touch with a local TA in Vizag to see if they have any deals from the usual discounters. The real deals are still offline, all it takes is a semi desparate salesman in Vizag trying to hit his quarterly targets . Such things cannot be found sitting at a computer in Canada...
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kb9522
This thread is beginning to sound an awful lot like this one (found on Reddit):

this is hilarious....
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mkannuri
Well, thanks for some inputs from fellow members that flights are always full from India to other destinations...that make sense to some point...but I am still surprised that I have yet to see a deal from india in the range of $600 to $900. which is common from Canada/USA to india immaterial of the season.
i see tons of returns flights from del-yyz for under $800 on 9w/dl/klm/af....all of these have very little connection times....indigo & ai have flights from vtz-del in the evenings & del-vtz in the mornings so again the transit times will be less....the only issue would be transferring terminals in del (if using indigo) which is very easy to do so....even taking into account the internal flights & the extra baggage allowance, you would still end up paying under $1k per passenger....expecting a better deal than this during peak summer travel is unreasonable....
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Well, thanks for some inputs from fellow members that flights are always full from India to other destinations...that make sense to some point...but I am still surprised that I have yet to see a deal from india in the range of $600 to $900. which is common from Canada/USA to india immaterial of the season.
Immaterial?!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aero Plan, Marriott, Air Miles
UPDATE: purchased international and now looking for domestic connection

Thank you for moving to India forum.Just an update as I booked the tickets from BLR (Bangalore) to YYZ roundtrip for $1050 CAD by Air France. Tried all the major hub combinations in india and the best I could find BLR where domestic from VTZ to BLR is around $100 round trip and convenient layover too.Now I have to figure out the best domestic flight as there are two flights from VTZ to BLR (Indigo), which is 7:30pm AND 9pm where as the AF leaves around 1:20am. So bit of dilemma in buying 9pm flight which has 3 hours layover the price is 1000INR cheaper than 7:30pmIf the indigo flight goes on time (don't know the history of this airlines on delays and cancellations) then no issues and best bang for the buck, but if it gets delayed or worst case cancelled then we are screwed as this will be last flight from VTZ for any airlines..appreciate if any of you had experience with this airlines and especially this out bound leg from VTZ..
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Thank you for moving to India forum.Just an update as I booked the tickets from BLR (Bangalore) to YYZ roundtrip for $1050 CAD by Air France. Tried all the major hub combinations in india and the best I could find BLR where domestic from VTZ to BLR is around $100 round trip and convenient layover too.Now I have to figure out the best domestic flight as there are two flights from VTZ to BLR (Indigo), which is 7:30pm AND 9pm where as the AF leaves around 1:20am. So bit of dilemma in buying 9pm flight which has 3 hours layover the price is 1000INR cheaper than 7:30pmIf the indigo flight goes on time (don't know the history of this airlines on delays and cancellations) then no issues and best bang for the buck, but if it gets delayed or worst case cancelled then we are screwed as this will be last flight from VTZ for any airlines..appreciate if any of you had experience with this airlines and especially this out bound leg from VTZ..
You're making this more complicated than it needs to be. 1000INR is about 15 or 16 USD. Just buy the earlier flight if you're that worried about the connection.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I do multi-PNR from time to time. I'm always pretty risk-averse in a case like this. (Short cheap PNR1 ahead of PNR2.) Definitely the 7:30PM flight, if not an earlier one. The last flight of the night would not be a gamble I'd even consider.

I know nothing about Indian domestic ops....when I fly in and out of India it's always int'l, and I know that takes time and involves queues even though I'm always in J. The experts here may cut things closer, but I know I would not. If all went well, I'd end up chilling in a lounge for 4-5 hours, and I'd be okay with that.

That said, Air France is a pretty decent choice if you're going as a no-status coach passenger. As bare-bones back-of-the-bus products go, I've always thought they do a better job than most.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aero Plan, Marriott, Air Miles
Thanks guys..initially I thought of booking the 7:30pm flight (indigo), but later I realized the Air France flight is actually leaving at 1:50 as per the below link https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/af191
Which is 4 hours of layover if I take 9pm flight, that too Bangalore airport's domestic and international are in the same building and next to each other.

So the (2k INR vs. 3k INR) and 4 hours layover (9hours) vs. 5hours (7:30 flight)..

Also, any recommendation of the site where I can get domestic deals(discounts/coupons) rather than airlines where the convince fees is being added on top of the advertised fees.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Flightradar only show actual departures this week, the time give in the ticket is the only real reference you should use. Using a low coster you should take the earlier flight, espcially in the monsoon season. Why put your parents in a stressful situation for 1000 Rs?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
For me, it'd be less about the 4 vs 5 hours and more about the fact that if one flight gets canceled, it's often the last one of the night. This can be due to rolling WX delays, flight crews going over time, or whatever. If you're booked on the 7:30 and something happens to it, you still have one more chance to get out. If you're booked on the 9PM, there aren't other alternatives.

Admittedly, I'm projecting my personal experiences with hubs like ORD and DEN onto an airline and airport I know nothing about. I shy away from last flights of the night unless I'm not terribly time-sensitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.