Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

First visit to India for 4 day break - which city?

First visit to India for 4 day break - which city?

Old Oct 9, 17, 4:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere in Russia
Programs: DL, KL
Posts: 906
First visit to India for 4 day break - which city?

Currently based in Kuala Lumpur for 6 months and looking to take a mini break during Chinese New Year in February - probably 3-4 nights away.

Spoilt for choice with AirAsia offering flights to:

Bengaluru
Bhubaneswar
Chennai
Delhi
Hyderabad
Kochi
Kolkata
Tiruchirapalli
Visakhapatnam

In addition there's the possibility of Malindo Air to:

Amritsar
Mumbai
Trichy
Trivandrum

It will be my first time to India and I'm mostly interested in historic sights and parks/gardens.

Can anyone recommend which city would be best to visit? I've already ruled out New Delhi as it's too chaotic for a first-time visitor to India.
seattle29 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 17, 5:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
Posts: 3,015
Mumbai & Cochin

I don't share your concern about DEL. Chaotic? Compared to what KL??

Delhi was my PF. I stayed in the embassy district for 5 nights, and I had loads of things to see & do. Recommend Gandhi Library (NB not the Museum:
http://www.gandhilibrary.org/

BOM is also very interesting. Lots of reasonably priced accommodation. We checked out Bollywood.

What about combining BOM with a trip by rail to Cochin?
Antonio8069 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 17, 5:40 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere in Russia
Programs: DL, KL
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
I don't share your concern about DEL. Chaotic? Compared to what KL??
I read this online, but it may not necessarily be true

This city is difficult to handle even for seasoned travelers, and it is hard to shake off the feeling that it is one big dirty noisy dump where everyone tries to rip you off. Generally for a first time visitor to India, you will get a better experience if you initially fly to Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore or Kolkata
seattle29 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 17, 1:08 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,541
Originally Posted by seattle29 View Post
I read this online, but it may not necessarily be true
definitely not true...every city you mentioned in your list will be as easy or difficult to handle as delhi....

if you are interested in historic sites then delhi will be a much better option....you can also make a day trip to agra to see the taj....
Keyser is online now  
Old Oct 9, 17, 3:52 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, California
Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Posts: 125
I totally agree with Keyser. Delhi won’t be any more or any less chaotic than any other city in India.

If you want to see major historic sights, go to Delhi, and as Keyser suggests, you can do a 1 or 2 day trip to Agra. With a a few extra night, you could even do the golden triangle, Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur.
sooge_sj is offline  
Old Oct 14, 17, 2:59 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 335
Bengaluru - some great gardens, not the greatest for sights (although you could take a trip to nearby Mysore).
Bhubaneswar - not been.
Chennai - bad gardens, poor for sights - I'd avoid (and that's coming from someone whom visits 4 times a year on business!)
Delhi - some great sights, is a little chaotic, but transport system makes it a nice place to get around. Can spend a day (or two) in Agra for the Taj Majal, also.
Hyderabad - stayed for one day, so won't comment.
Kochi - all of Kerala is pretty beautiful in terms of wildlife, could go outside of the city
Kolkata - beautiful British-era monuments, which include some attractive gardens
Tiruchirapalli - only go here on business, never considered it for leisure, although does have some wonderful monuments/temples
Visakhapatnam - not been.
Amritsar - my personal favourite place to visit in India. The Golden Temple is by far my favourite monument in all of India; truly beautiful, and a fascinating place to visit (the free accommodation for pilgrims, free food, art museum showing history of Sikhs in India). Can also visit Wagah border which is, again, an incredible experience (Pakistan India border).
Mumbai - love Bombay as a city, loads of stunning architecture, some nice gardens, incredible evening street food, don't miss a tour of Dharavi slum with Reality Tours and Travel.
Trichy - You realise this is the same place as Tiruchirapalli?
Trivandrum - really, here you'd probably end up going to Varkala/Kovalam/similar place - good for beaches, Ayurveda medicine and relaxation, plus the beautiful backwaters.

In short, I'd recommend Amritsar as a personal favourite, plus you could always spend a couple of days there and take an overnight train to Delhi or an internal flight.

----

Totally disagree with taking a train from Bombay to Cochin - it'll take over 24 hours, which seems excessive on such a short trip (recommended a long journey in SL on an extended trip - but not 5 days!)
Recondite is offline  
Old Oct 15, 17, 7:15 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere in Russia
Programs: DL, KL
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by Recondite View Post
Bengaluru - some great gardens, not the greatest for sights (although you could take a trip to nearby Mysore).
Bhubaneswar - not been.
Chennai - bad gardens, poor for sights - I'd avoid (and that's coming from someone whom visits 4 times a year on business!)
Delhi - some great sights, is a little chaotic, but transport system makes it a nice place to get around. Can spend a day (or two) in Agra for the Taj Majal, also.
Hyderabad - stayed for one day, so won't comment.
Kochi - all of Kerala is pretty beautiful in terms of wildlife, could go outside of the city
Kolkata - beautiful British-era monuments, which include some attractive gardens
Tiruchirapalli - only go here on business, never considered it for leisure, although does have some wonderful monuments/temples
Visakhapatnam - not been.
Amritsar - my personal favourite place to visit in India. The Golden Temple is by far my favourite monument in all of India; truly beautiful, and a fascinating place to visit (the free accommodation for pilgrims, free food, art museum showing history of Sikhs in India). Can also visit Wagah border which is, again, an incredible experience (Pakistan India border).
Mumbai - love Bombay as a city, loads of stunning architecture, some nice gardens, incredible evening street food, don't miss a tour of Dharavi slum with Reality Tours and Travel.
Trichy - You realise this is the same place as Tiruchirapalli?
Trivandrum - really, here you'd probably end up going to Varkala/Kovalam/similar place - good for beaches, Ayurveda medicine and relaxation, plus the beautiful backwaters.

In short, I'd recommend Amritsar as a personal favourite, plus you could always spend a couple of days there and take an overnight train to Delhi or an internal flight.

----

Totally disagree with taking a train from Bombay to Cochin - it'll take over 24 hours, which seems excessive on such a short trip (recommended a long journey in SL on an extended trip - but not 5 days!)
Thanks for the great advice (and to all the other posters too). We've settled on Kolkata for 5 nights
seattle29 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 17, 7:18 am
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,664
Kolkata is nice, I have to say Delhi is less appealing as I do think it's a little more intense and cluttered and polluted than some of the others. I'd have suggested Mumbai, with some nice sights, as well as pretty good mix of Indian and international cuisine and night life.

Oh, but Hyderabad would've been much harder to handle than Delhi, I semi-live here (HYD), lovely city but it's intense. However if you like craft beer this is the place to be, lots of microbreweries that have popped up in recent years.
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Dec 25, 17, 12:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 5
I would recommend the following:

Bengaluru
Bhubaneswar
Chennai
Kochi
Tiruchirapalli
WeddingPlanning901 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 18, 2:38 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
I would recommend below cities based on the weather conditions during your visit time.

Hyderabad
Visakhapatnam
Kochi
Bengaluru
stevesmith42 is offline  
Old Jan 11, 18, 4:13 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Any Indian city will seem chaotic for a first-timer. I recommend you head to Hyderabad first. Since you mentioned you love historical sites and parks, there are plenty you can enjoy visiting here. The city's cuisine is an added bonus if you happen to be a foodie. Unless of course you're not used to Indian food. I would recommend Mumbai as well.
rrjohn is offline  
Old Jan 25, 18, 1:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Sentinel Island
Programs: AA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Posts: 675
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
I don't share your concern about DEL. Chaotic? Compared to what KL??
Having been to both I'd say Delhi is on another level. But once you are used to it it's fine. I'd compare the level of chaos in Delhi to, say, Jakarta.
rdurlabhji is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread