Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Transit at Mumbai international airport

Old Sep 13, 17, 9:21 am
Original Poster

I will be traveling in business class from Washington to chennai transiting at Mumbai by Lufthansa and Air India in one PNR.Arrival at Mumbai is by LH 756 from Frankfurt at 01.00 hrs and leaves @ 6.15 hrs Mumbai by AI570. I understand that The Air India flight from Mumbai to Chennai starts from international terminal. I have few doubts. Can my boxes booked directly to chennai at IAD? Where do I undergo immigration formalities? Chennai or Mumbai? If I have to do customs check at Mumbai should I need to take out my boxes and recheck in? At Mumbai airport whose lounge (Lufthansa or Air India) I can use? As my age is catching up, i am little anxious. So pl don't mind to help me

Last edited by Varadh; Sep 14, 17 at 6:48 am Reason: Flight details given
Old Sep 13, 17, 10:34 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...ed-thread.html

hi, the above link has quite comprehensive information about transiting in Mumbai.

if you have all legs of your trip (IAD-FRA-BOM-MAA) on a single PNR, then it should not be a problem checking your bags all the way to Chennai.

you will have to pickup your bags in Mumbai and go thru customs and immigration in Mumbai. After you exit customs in Mumbai, you would need to take your bags to Air India transit desk and hand them over to be transferred to your Chennai flight. There is a AI transit desk after you exit customs in Mumbai.

There are no separate business lounges for airlines in Mumbai T2. All Business class passengers use the same lounge.
Old Sep 13, 17, 10:39 am

On the boxes, they will ideally be checked in through-and-through at IAD itself as AI is an LH partner. In any case, do check with the airlines directly.

Immigration depends on your AI flight between BOM and MAA. AI operates a handful of domestic flights that depart from the international concourse, but these are almost always to and from their Delhi hub. If it is one of these flights, then your immigration will happen in Chennai. If not, you will go through immigration in BOM itself and simply transition to the domestic concourse.

AI is notorious for delays - though this is slowly improving. Do factor that bit into your travel plans.

I don't think there is an LH lounge in BOM. Its quite likely they use AI facilities. Don't expect a whole lot. There is also a decent in-terminal transit hotel in BOM if you have a long-ish layover.

BOM is a nice, new airport with reasonably helpful staff. I wouldn't worry too much about the transit here.
Old Sep 13, 17, 7:56 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
please post your query on the Mumbai airport (BOM) connection/transfer/transit questions - dedicated thread (i have included the link above) and provide your specific flight numbers/itinerary so that some of that every knowledgeable folks will respond and give you accurate information.

i do believe that you have to stop by the Ai domestic checkin and get a Lounge pass otherwise you may have a problem getting in.
Old Sep 14, 17, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
lots of info here as well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...tional-vv.html

or post in the thread referenced by gantid....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: