Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Having trouble buying India rail passes without Indian mobile phone number

Old Jul 29, 17, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

I see that in order to buy a train ticket from Delhi to Agra, I need to input an Indian mobile phone number. I'm from the US, and I don't have said number.

I read that one can send a copy of their passport via email to India Rail, and they will email me an identification number to validate my account. I emailed my passport photo page several days ago, and I haven't received a reply.

Any other suggestions? Is there a reputable online travel agent from whom I can buy my tickets in advance from the US? Surely, I can't be the first person to have difficulties.

Should I buy the tickets before coming to India? (And how?) We want to make sure to have seats in an air conditioned train car from Delhi to Agra and then the return.
Old Jul 29, 17, 4:15 pm

This can take quite some time, but they usually come through. Also, there may be new arrangements coming for foreigners to use a foreign phone number. The plan is to let foreigners buy Foreign Tourist Quota tickets online, for a surcharge.

There's a thread on the India Mike forum which usually has the most current information on registration issues.
Old Jul 29, 17, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork View Post
Any other suggestions? Is there a reputable online travel agent from whom I can buy my tickets in advance from the US? Surely, I can't be the first person to have difficulties.
not sure about online travel agents but if you want i can pass on the details of the ta my firm uses for all our train bookings....you can get in touch with them via email....
Old Jul 30, 17, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Silver, EY Silver

I think you can book Indian rail tickets on cleartrip.com (OTA). I've booked quite a few trips via them albeit it was few years back. At that time it was the only OTA approved to seel Indian Railway tickets. I've done Delhi-Amritsar.

I did Delhi-Agra by road and was perfectly fine on the expressway.
Old Jul 31, 17, 12:53 pm

Rules have changed. You now need to register on IRCTC before you can purchase on Cleartrip.
Old Aug 1, 17, 1:36 am

I see that in order to buy a train ticket from Delhi to Agra, I need to input an Indian mobile phone number. I'm from the US, and I don't have said number.

I read that one can send a copy of their passport via email to India Rail, and they will email me an identification number to validate my account. I emailed my passport photo page several days ago, and I haven't received a reply.

Should I buy the tickets before coming to India? (And how?) We want to make sure to have seats in an air conditioned train car from Delhi to Agra and then the return.
While booking rail tickets on Yatra.com, there is an option to select 'US' based contact number.

Try it on https://www.yatra.com/trains, you may book the ticket.

I also saw that there is an option to select a country while creating an account on Irctc. Try it also.

Best of luck

Search this Thread