Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Business Visa for Individual of Pakistani Origin

Old Jul 27, 17, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

How difficult is this going to be? The visa processing agency (CIBT) affiliated with my company has declined to help me and says that I need to go in person.

My parents are Pakistani and were born there, but I am a US Citizen.

Any thoughts? I have all the documentation ready and just waiting to get my second US passport back. Any data points?

Thanks,
Old Jul 29, 17, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i wouldn't say it would be difficult but it will take time....i would expect it to take 6-8 weeks....
Old Aug 9, 17, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Takes up to three months, especially first time. Should be no problem getting it eventually. Passport is returned soon after applying and then recalled when visa is ready.

They say you can only get single entry visa valid for three months. Having said that this time they gave me double entry valid for six months. My company requests multiple entry each time.

Rules may be different if you are a dual citizen, one of which is Pakistani citizenship. They request a letter on company letterhead that I am not a Pakistani citizen.

If you are they will only issue on your Pakistani passport.
Old Oct 11, 17, 11:32 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by jahason View Post
Takes up to three months, especially first time. Should be no problem getting it eventually. Passport is returned soon after applying and then recalled when visa is ready.

They say you can only get single entry visa valid for three months. Having said that this time they gave me double entry valid for six months. My company requests multiple entry each time.

Rules may be different if you are a dual citizen, one of which is Pakistani citizenship. They request a letter on company letterhead that I am not a Pakistani citizen.

If you are they will only issue on your Pakistani passport.
If you have a US passport, legally thats all you can have,
Old Oct 13, 17, 1:18 pm

Programs: United Airlines MileagePlus
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3 View Post
That's not true at all. US requires that citizens use their US passport to enter and exit the US.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html

"U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law. "
Old Nov 6, 17, 1:05 pm

This is true for all other cases, but very importantly, India does not recognize this for people who have Pakistani origin (i.e. people who have anyone in their parents/grandparents/spouse who were born in Pakistan).

It does not matter if you have never stepped foot in Pakistan or only have a US passport.

India does not recognize you as a US citizen if only one of your grandmothers is from Pakistan, and all other grandparents/parents have never stepped foot in Pakistan. India will recognize you as a Pakistani citizen ONLY.

This is a very bad rule, but its unfortunately true. India will only recognize OP as a US citizen if he or she can provide a "renunciation certificate" from the embassy of pakistan formally confirming that they have renounced their pakistani citizenship (it does not matter that they never had it, india thinks they did because their parents/grandparents were from there). Looks like a company letterhead works also from a post above, but I'm not familiar with that rule.

This rule for US/UK citizens based solely on past origin has been a huge hassle for ~10 years now.

Alternatively, OP can lie on the e-visa application and say that his parents were born in "British India" (before the partition). This way OP can apply for an indian e-visa like any US citizens. But if you get caught for any reason whatsoever you spend your life in indian jail so .....

Last edited by nomiiiii; Nov 6, 17 at 1:10 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: