Reload this Page >

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Please check out the parallel thread in the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers forum:

Global Entry for Citizens of India
Print Wikipost

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
A FOIA enquiry with the DHS will most certainly yield some info on what kind of background check the US Govt expected and can be contrasted to the the super high level being implemented by the GoI.
State too.

The super high level of bureaucracy meets super high level of rushing it.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

State too.

The super high level of bureaucracy meets super high level of rushing it.
So, please help me understand something. You had mentioned “FOIAing DHS/CBP and State about GE for Indian citizens would potentially make [what Keyser was told] even more obvious to more”. What I don't understand how FOIAing DHS/DoS or even White House would help confirm events under PMO supervision that Keyser learnt through social interaction? Last I checked, FOIA has jurisdiction to the US federal agencies only. Unless you meant RTI to PMO.

FOIA would definitely understand the discussion context from US perspective that are suitable for public consumption - trade agreements details can't be divulged.

Now, let's be real. I don't think you are requesting on behalf of the community or even people talking about it. If you or anyone else have done it already then hats off to you. Please share the relevant snippet once yo have received the response. Mr. Tillerson is very keen in getting FOIA backlog cleared so response should arrive quicker.

And, the last, process of GE didn't change on 6th July 2017 - people who applied before 6th July did have to fill the form on passport.gov and had to visit PSK. On 6th July confirmation came that Indian citizen living outside of India WILL have to visit India to get this done. This came as shock to pretty much every Indian citizens (including me) in US since Indian consulate runs full service outside of India. So, it was much easier and sensible to extend the service. But, that didn't happen.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:12 am

Update on my online grievance query to PSK:

"Your police verification report from the police authorities received as clear for your GEP application. On the receipt of clearance from MHA and MoF will be processed further. . Your police verification report from the police authorities received as clear"

However, PSK website status doesn't reflect this:

"GEP Verification Process has been initiated on your application. Once inputs from all the concerned Government Authorities are received, the Report will be shared with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). No queries would be entertained in relation to your GEP application status at the Passport Offices and PSP Call Centre. You may contact CBP for further updates on the processing of your GEP application."
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by anirudh666
Update on my online grievance query to PSK:

"Your police verification report from the police authorities received as clear for your GEP application. On the receipt of clearance from MHA and MoF will be processed further. . Your police verification report from the police authorities received as clear"

However, PSK website status doesn't reflect this:

"GEP Verification Process has been initiated on your application. Once inputs from all the concerned Government Authorities are received, the Report will be shared with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). No queries would be entertained in relation to your GEP application status at the Passport Offices and PSP Call Centre. You may contact CBP for further updates on the processing of your GEP application."
@anirudh666:

Thanks for the update. I may have missed this from your earlier posts but a few followup questions:
1. When & Which city did you go for GEP Passport Seva Kendra appointment?
2. When did the police guys come to your home in India to verify?

FYI, My spouse and I just did ours Feb12th & 13th at the Bangalore Passport Seva Kendra and had the Police Guys come over to our home and do the verification that same week. This was done in our India trip this February. We back here in the US and the PSK site is showing the same.

I am wondering if its worth starting some kind of tracker where folks in this forum and others too can add some basic details related to their GEP process so that we all get a sense of whats going on and if any one has actually got the damn thing if so what the rough timelines are. Based on the rules published i dont think there is any sense in making a distinction between NRIs and Indians living in India. If we have enough data compiled over time perhaps we could possibly do something meaningful with it.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by vv81
@anirudh666:

Thanks for the update. I may have missed this from your earlier posts but a few followup questions:
1. When & Which city did you go for GEP Passport Seva Kendra appointment?
2. When did the police guys come to your home in India to verify?

FYI, My spouse and I just did ours Feb12th & 13th at the Bangalore Passport Seva Kendra and had the Police Guys come over to our home and do the verification that same week. This was done in our India trip this February. We back here in the US and the PSK site is showing the same.

I am wondering if its worth starting some kind of tracker where folks in this forum and others too can add some basic details related to their GEP process so that we all get a sense of whats going on and if any one has actually got the damn thing if so what the rough timelines are. Based on the rules published i dont think there is any sense in making a distinction between NRIs and Indians living in India. If we have enough data compiled over time perhaps we could possibly do something meaningful with it.

Thoughts?
Per my earlier posts:

I went to Bangalore Lal Bagh PSK around December 13, police came to my house around December 15. Bangalore police aims to complete police verification within 3 weeks. I don’t know if they adhered to this timeline in my case.

As per Keyser’s earlier posts:

NRIs won’t have to go through as thorough a background check as Indians living in India. The requirements for background check for Indians living in India hasn’t been decided, so it’s mostly NRIs who are getting clearance for GEP so far. Indians living in India are possibly not going to get GEP approval until later in 2018
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:12 pm

Per my earlier posts:

I went to Bangalore Lal Bagh PSK around December 13, police came to my house around December 15. Bangalore police aims to complete police verification within 3 weeks. I don’t know if they adhered to this timeline in my case.

As per Keyser’s earlier posts:

NRIs won’t have to go through as thorough a background check as Indians living in India. The requirements for background check for Indians living in India hasn’t been decided, so it’s mostly NRIs who are getting clearance for GEP so far. Indians living in India are possibly not going to get GEP approval until later in 2018
@anirudh666

Thanks for the prompt response. Very helpful.

Another followup question: How did you get that info from passport grievance ? Is this something you can do online or did you have to make in-person visit to the Passport Seva Kendra?

Yes, I saw that so-called distinction in the background check process for NRI v/s Indians in India. The background verification process seems quite opaque and no where does it seem to suggest what the actual process is let alone if such a distinction exists between NRI v/s Indians in India.

Anyways, a general question to all:
Do we know of anyone who actually got atleast the Indian side of the process approved and completed? If you are out there in this forum could you please share your timeline and where you are at with the process. Wouldn't hurt if you mentioned if you are an NRI or Indian living in India.

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:06 pm

It's very random for even NRIs. I have been waiting since the first week of July.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest, JetBlue TrueBlue, Avianca LifeMiles, KLM FlyingBlue
Yup, Im still waiting too. Visited PSK Sept 29, 2017 and police verification done the next day. Radio silence since :/
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:08 am

I've just filed an RTI application with MEA, Govt of India. They have to reply within 30 days. Let's see what they say.

There is a notice on the Passportindia website about how the GEP verification is carried out on behalf of the US Government, and therefore is not subject to an enquiry under the RTI Act. That is incorrect as the GEP verification is carried out against an application made by an Indian Citizen and on payment of a ₹ 500 fee. If they had not charged a fee, they might have had a case, but GoI does nothing without charging fees!

If any of you would also like to file RTI applications, it is pretty effortless to do so. Go to the rtionline.gov.in website, register and then file a request to Ministry of External Affairs, CPV Division. There is a fee of ₹ 10 payable, which can be paid by credit card. I used an Indian credit card. In my application I mentioned that I had paid a fee of ₹ 500 for GEP verification and therefore was entitled to make an enquiry under the RTI Act. Once I hear back from them, I plan to file additional RTI requests to MoF and MHA if that is where my clearance is pending.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:31 am

Folks, could someone on here who lives in the US make an FoIA request to CBP asking how many applications have been received for GEP membership from Indian Citizens, how many have been processed and how many are still pending for want of a response from the Indian Government ? These could be useful statistics.

Last edited by EasternPedlar; Mar 10, 2018 at 11:58 am
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by EasternPedlar
Folks, could someone on here who lives in the US make an FoIA request to CBP asking how many applications have been received for GEP membership from Indian Citizens, how many have been processed and how many are still pending for want of a response from the Indian Government ? These could be useful statistics.
Only green card holders and naturalized citizens can make a FoIA request to the US CBP. Unfortunately for us, green card holders don’t need to go to India and jump through hoops to get approved for Global Entry.

someone can correct me if I’m wrong
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:33 am

Only green card holders and naturalized citizens can make a FoIA request to the US CBP. Unfortunately for us, green card holders don’t need to go to India and jump through hoops to get approved for Global Entry.

someone can correct me if I’m wrong
Actually, anyone can submit an FOIA request here in the US. You don't have to be a citizen or GC.
https://www.foia.gov/faq.html#who
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by EasternPedlar
That is incorrect as the GEP verification is carried out against an application made by an Indian Citizen and on payment of a ₹ 500 fee.
Thanks for standing-up for the community. It'd be interesting to see the response. But, personally, I think Section 8(1) f is just too strong to get deny it outright. That's why it's spelled out there as well.

Your above statement only tells the half story. This is what happened - "GEP verification is carried out against an application made by an Indian Citizen to the USG (CBP). and on payment of a ₹ 500 fee.

We have to submit application to CBP first and then they notify to GOI for further background check as part of the bilateral agreement. The benefit we are seeking here is provided by USG unilaterally with GOI having zero say in the matter whether an Individual should/shouldn't get the benefit. So, Section 8 (1) f under RTI Act is very much relevant to deny the information.

Let's see how it plays out.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by airplane7
Actually, anyone can submit an FOIA request here in the US. You don't have to be a citizen or GC.
It can be any individual or entity. If I were to do it personally then I'd retain a law firm. I've done it for my personal records few years ago.

In case anybody (individual or entity) is standing-up for submitting FOIA to CBP and need help in coughing up the law firm fee then feel free to do "GoFundMe". I'd definitely contribute. I'll just not do in my personal capacity as it's just statistics for me. No use beyond a 2min read.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by airplane7
I wanted to get some personal records from NSA and FBI, and they said on their website that I’d have to file a request under Privacy Act rather than FoIA due to my not having green card/citizenship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.