Reload this Page >

GoI wants to renogiate Bilaterals to remove 6th freedom rights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GoI wants to renogiate Bilaterals to remove 6th freedom rights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2021, 2:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Talking GoI wants to renogiate Bilaterals to remove 6th freedom rights

During the pandemic the GoI swiftly moved to suspend all bilateral air traffic agreements and create 'bubbles' to avoid the ME3 and EU3 carrying pax via their hubs at the expense of AI. With the pandemic coming to an end they are now trying to make this change permanent:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/81440698.cms

New Delhi: The government is examining a proposal to renegotiate foreign flying rights with several countries, including those in the Middle East. The idea is to cut down on so-called sixth-freedom privileges to foreign carriers — carrying passengers from India to various destinations across the globe through airports in their countries, several officials told ET.
I don't know what they are putting in their teas at the MoCA... it must be good...
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
it would be a disastrous move if they did so however it seems unlikely....
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

I just wanted to start my gripe on how India i flouting international treaties, but it seems only the first 5 freedoms are part of the ICAO treaty: https://www.icao.int/Pages/freedomsAir.aspx

ICAO characterizes all "freedoms" beyond the Fifth as "so-called" because only the first five "freedoms" have been officially recognized as such by international treaty.
Sixth Freedom of The Air - the right or privilege, in respect of scheduled international air services, of transporting, via the home State of the carrier, traffic moving between two other States (also known as a Sixth Freedom Right). The so-called Sixth Freedom of the Air, unlike the first five freedoms, is not incorporated as such into any widely recognized air service agreements such as the "Five Freedoms Agreement".
Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Indian government could try to play up the Jai Hind affinity to encourage people to fly Indian carriers instead of the GCC carriers. But this kind of push by the Indian government may as well be taken as a de facto admission that Indian carriers can't make a go of it internationally against foreign carriers of concern unless and until they can benefit from new protectionist measures advanced by the Indian government.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:29 am

I don't see how this is beneficial for the consumer
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Reading Puri-jis tweet today I wonder what they smoke at the MOCA

Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by txsbeef
I don't see how this is beneficial for the consumer
since when has air india or the ministry of civil aviation ever done anything that is beneficial for the consumer????
Old Mar 15, 2021, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
During the pandemic the GoI swiftly moved to suspend all bilateral air traffic agreements and create 'bubbles' to avoid the ME3 and EU3 carrying pax via their hubs at the expense of AI. With the pandemic coming to an end they are now trying to make this change permanent:

I don't know what they are putting in their teas at the MoCA... it must be good...
Suitcases suitcases coming!!!

On a different note - don't think the ME3 will be affected too badly since there is a good India-ME O/D load through the year due to the large Gulf diaspora. EU3 is a different story since I believe most of their routes are surviving only because of transit traffic.

Last edited by superboi; Mar 16, 2021 at 6:49 am
Old May 6, 2021, 12:56 am
Original Poster

It seems the ET people did ask Al-B about the plot by Modi / Puri-ji:

India should refrain from renegotiating bilateral foreign flying rights as it would be a violation of international regulations, and would also restrict the growth of the country’s aviation sector, Qatar Airways’ group CEO Akbar Al Baker told ET. “I think if they do that, they are violating international regulations…
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/82402891.cms
Old May 8, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum

I think the trick being, the MOCA will run this racket as long as they can. And when things improve to some sort of normality, they'll quietly re-instate old arrangements and act like nothing happened and all that they were doing was service for the motherland.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:30 am
Original Poster

The farce continues:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/85783322.cms

The aviation ministry is working on a plan to unilaterally reduce foreign flying rights granted to the United Arab Emirates , Qatar and Germany to curb so-called sixth freedom traffic. This refers to, for instance, a person flying to New York from India via Dubai or any third country.
[...]
As part of the proposal being discussed, the ministry plans to merge the UAE bilateral into one and reduce each emirate’s foreign flying rights by a third, multiple sources told ET.
[...]
The official added that no formal proposal has been sent to these countries yet and the plan is still being discussed with, among others, the external affairs ministry. The idea is to help Indian carriers expand internationally as a substantial number of people going to Europe and Americas fly through these hubs, the person said.
[...]
A similar reduction is being discussed for Qatar and Germany.
What are they smoking??
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The farce continues:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/85783322.cms

What are they smoking??
Charas as part of the communion with the aviation deities and wannabe demigods?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 2:59 am
Original Poster

The MoCA Secretary Bansal remains adamant that restrictions are to stay:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/87191086.cms

the current frequencies available under the air bubble arrangements are adequate to meet the demand and there is not much demand for international routes as the visa regime is very restrictive.
He also noted that on certain sectors such as US and Canada, airlines have 30 to 40 per cent load factors for mid-December 2021. "We can surely consider opening once demand nears pre-COVID levels."
Did he not read the notice about the tourist visa coming back Nov 15? And what load factors does he refer to? Probably AIs... the ME3 are full full full on the flights to India.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did he not read the notice about the tourist visa coming back Nov 15? And what load factors does he refer to? Probably AIs... the ME3 are full full full on the flights to India.
same with af, klm, ba, vs, ua, etc....all flying full back to india....
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:50 am
Original Poster

AF-KL is gently clearing their throat and politely asking for more than the 17 weeklies their are allowed to operate from CDG & AMS to BLR/MAA/DEL/BOM.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/87563747.cms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.