Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Using Uber in India(Hyderabad, Bangalore,Delhi)

Old Jun 13, 17, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-Gold

I will be traveling to India soon and want to know if i can use my US account directly. My family there already were not able to use the service as the credit card option is not working and they were asked to pay in cash.

Can someone with experience let me know if any additional steps need to be done to use Uber in India?
Old Jun 13, 17, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by concordian View Post
I will be traveling to India soon and want to know if i can use my US account directly. My family there already were not able to use the service as the credit card option is not working and they were asked to pay in cash.

Can someone with experience let me know if any additional steps need to be done to use Uber in India?
i've used my us credit cards for uber in india....works without any problems....
Old Jun 13, 17, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

I was told that Indian govt. requires two factor authentication for online purchases and you need to have Paytm setup or something. I will test this when I am there later this month.
Old Jun 13, 17, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by concordian View Post
I was told that Indian govt. requires two factor authentication for online purchases and you need to have Paytm setup or something. I will test this when I am there later this month.
i believe that is only for indian based credit & debit cards....
Old Jun 14, 17, 1:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I have an Indian Uber account which works fine with foreign CCs.
Old Jun 20, 17, 1:47 am

Check out Ola. It does not require any credit cards or that annoying two step verification as paying by cash is so easy (and still preferred method) in India. Many drivers sign up for both Ola and Uber simultaneously. So there is no such things as Uber cars/drivers vs Ola car/drivers. Rates from both companies are ridiculously cheap. Ola customer service seemed to be better than Uber. You get electronic receipts for reimbursement any way.

The only hassle is that you need local India phone number. (everyone in India from doctor to dhobi to Ola to bank seem to insist on getting your "Mobile" number while bureaucrats babus want to deactivate your SIM moment you are out of country for 45-60-90 days)
Old Jun 20, 17, 2:03 am

Came to Hyderabad last week and used my US Uber account + US CC without any issues for a couple of rides already
Old Jun 20, 17, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

I will update the thread with my findings as I will be using the service this weekend. Thanks for all the quick replies
Old Sep 24, 17, 3:30 am

How did it go?
Old Oct 20, 17, 9:48 am

Hey,
I have used one of my Malaysia CC..and it worked well
Old Oct 23, 17, 4:07 am

I regularly use Uber and Ola in India - foreign cards work fine for me (although I believe I usually spend on my Amex).

Be prepared - in some places - for drivers that cannot speak English, however. Can make getting some rides a real pain if you don't know the states language, especially as some drivers seem incapable of following GPS (particular Ola Auto drivers!)

Still a million times better than having to haggle for every journey, though.
Old Nov 30, 17, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Will add that I also recently used Uber in Nagpur (with US credit card) - no issues whatsoever, great service, amazing prices. Far more pleasant than the auto-rickshaws. Other than a few drivers refusing trips to the LM which is far out of town, but I was warned that might happen.
deovrat likes this.

Search this Thread