FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   5 days in Delhi with teens: Too Long? Where to Stay? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1845584-5-days-delhi-teens-too-long-where-stay.html)

CharlotteYork May 31, 2017 12:36 pm

5 days in Delhi with teens: Too Long? Where to Stay?

In August, we will be in Delhi for five full days with our older, well-traveled teenagers. I'm concerned that five days will be too long. We are planning just a day trip to Agra, so that really leaves four full days in Delhi. Is that too long to hit the tourist list or should I look at other day-trip areas?

Also, we are considering staying in the Lodhi as they have a two bedroom suite. I'm having a difficult time figuring out if this is a good area for tourists. Is it close to a metro stop?

Speaking of the metro, many threads here reference hiring a driver, but with such a spread-out city, wouldn't the metro be more convenient?

Any other suggestions for hotels or luxury short-term apartments? We prefer having a suite with two separate bedrooms. Luxury is our preference, but our preferred cap is around $500ish USD per night, plus or minus.

(Would a moderator please edit my title to reflect "too" instead of "two?")

CharlotteYork May 31, 2017 1:07 pm

OP here. I should add that we also have status with Hilton, Starwood and Marriott. One of these chains is always my preference, but I'm not finding any of these in New Delhi that has a more upscale two bedroom suite (or a one bedroom suite with pull-out couch), in a good area for tourists. Maybe I'm missing it...

skywardhunter May 31, 2017 1:29 pm

I would wager that 5 days is too long, but not really enough to add something else. Jaipur is beautiful, have you already booked your Agra day trip? If not a few suggestions:

- consider spending a night in Agra for the following reasons:
> Aside from the Taj there is also the "Baby Taj" and Agra Fort which IMHO are worth seeing. The Baby Taj is quite quiet and peaceful and interesting to get a feel for the origins of the architecture of the actual Taj Mahal, the Agra Fort is an extremely impressive, very large Fort, most of which is an active military installation. The part open to tourists is still very large and beautiful.
> It is often recommended to see the Taj at sunrise, thought I've found this tricky in the past just due to the opening hours being around sunrise (in Winter, so in August even trickier), but being there half an hour after sunrise is still beautiful, also cooler).
- Consider going from Agra to Jaipur, the so-called golden triangle. If you don't hire a driver for the whole thing take an overnight train from Agra to Jaipur, did this a few years ago, train departs around 11pm and arrives 6am or so in Jaipur. In Jaipur the Amer Fort is definitely worth a visit, while the City Palace is also beautiful, as well as just generally exploring the pink city.

Personally I don't like the idea of hiring a driver, I find it a bit cocoonish (is that a word?) and a very filtered way of travelling. I first visited India (I'm South African) as a student doing a 2-month internship in 2011/12 and did the backpacking thing, taking long trains and staying in cheap hostels. I've since then ended up living and working in India and travelled and stayed in more upmarket places as well. I've visited Agra three times, twice in January and once in March. Visited Jaipur just the once, but Delhi about a dozen times or more. Delhi really isn't that great, it's polluted, congested, a little hostile compared to many other places in India (but not overtly so, just more city-sterile [not clean sterile!]). In Delhi there's some decent night life, and about 3 other things worth seeing. I definitely recommend a combination of Metro + Uber in Delhi.

Hotels in Delhi: I've stayed at the Le Meridien, it's in the middle of the diplomatic district near CP (Connaught Place) which has a nice market to try out your haggling skills (Janpat) as well as some nice shops and eateries. Also generally rather central, but if I recall not directly adjacent to any metro station. Very modern and fancy building.

So overall my recommendation would be:

Train/bus/cab to Agra (one-way if cab, don't have the driver hang around), get around Agra by Auto-rikshaw (painful at times, but no Uber there), spend the night, or take an overnight train (if you spend the night, plan to arrive around 3pm, then head to the baby Taj, then do big Taj and Fort on day 2 with some time to shop if you're so inclined, auto-rikshaw drivers will try take you to shops and try tell you all about Agra's famous leather, they get a commission.).
Spend a day in Jaipur and get an overnight train (if there is one) back to Delhi. The road from Jaipur to Delhi, while a highway, can be a little stressful, especially at night. In Delhi, visit Janpat, CP, Hauz Khas for night life, the Delhi Fort is a little underwhelming after Agra Fort, India Gate for a photo, the Lotus temple perhaps and maybe Qutb Minar, there are other things to see, Google is your friend, decide what matters to you and interests you.

CharlotteYork May 31, 2017 2:29 pm

OP here, again. Thank you, Skywardhunter.

Also, if a moderator would please, please, please edit my title to reflect "too" instead of "two?" I'm mortified! :(

QDDawg May 31, 2017 3:07 pm

I like Skywardhunters suggestions.

I would suggest hiring a driver, you can do this for the day for relatively cheap - by US standards.

We paid a driver to take us from DEL to Agra for $80 each way and then hired a driver for the day for $40.

We stayed at the ITC Mughol - starwood property. we were upgraded to a royal suite and it had a separate room with a sofa, although i'm unsure if it pulled out. Nice hotel, but the surrounding area was depressing, you will not want to leave the grounds to go walk around.

skywardhunter May 31, 2017 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by QDDawg (Post 28384792)
I like Skywardhunters suggestions.

I would suggest hiring a driver, you can do this for the day for relatively cheap - by US standards.

We paid a driver to take us from DEL to Agra for $80 each way and then hired a driver for the day for $40.

We stayed at the ITC Mughol - starwood property. we were upgraded to a royal suite and it had a separate room with a sofa, although i'm unsure if it pulled out. Nice hotel, but the surrounding area was depressing, you will not want to leave the grounds to go walk around.

Yes, indeed, while I've not been inside the ITC is very well regarded and from outside appears very impressive.

I've had drinks at the Radisson as well which is quite nice (above average for a Radisson I'd say), one could walk (15 mins) to the Taj from there.

FlyerWx May 31, 2017 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 28384281)
- Consider going from Agra to Jaipur, the so-called golden triangle. If you don't hire a driver for the whole thing take an overnight train from Agra to Jaipur, did this a few years ago, train departs around 11pm and arrives 6am or so in Jaipur. In Jaipur the Amer Fort is definitely worth a visit, while the City Palace is also beautiful, as well as just generally exploring the pink city.

If the OP wants to maximize time in Jaipur there is an evening (~6PM) superfast (Shatabdi) train from Agra to Jaipur that takes a little under 4 hours. Jaipur and the surrounding areas are very interesting, and would be worth it if you can find a way to comfortably fit it in.

skywardhunter Jun 1, 2017 3:49 am

Originally Posted by FlyerWx (Post 28385932)
If the OP wants to maximize time in Jaipur there is an evening (~6PM) superfast (Shatabdi) train from Agra to Jaipur that takes a little under 4 hours. Jaipur and the surrounding areas are very interesting, and would be worth it if you can find a way to comfortably fit it in.

Wasn't aware, Shatabdi are great, but beware, seating only (not an issue for a 4h evening train). Perhaps 1 day in Agra and proceed to Jaipur the same night. Get to Agra early morning, leave Delhi around 5-6am.

Keyser Jun 1, 2017 6:10 am

1 night in agra & 2 nights each in delhi & jaipur would be the way to go....

the lodhi is a great hotel....i have membership at this hotel so frequently use the gym & pool....in my opinion its one of the best hotels in the city....the location is good....it would be a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest metro station but i would suggest hiring a car & driver for the day....august is still going to be warm & there would be some rain around as well so the metro won't be the best idea....

oliver2002 Jun 1, 2017 9:13 am

Agra in the August monsoon rains probably needs more than a day, why not stay there and do Fatehpur Sikri too.

GUWonder Jun 2, 2017 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by CharlotteYork (Post 28384022)
In August, we will be in Delhi for five full days with our older, well-traveled teenagers. I'm concerned that five days will be too long. We are planning just a day trip to Agra, so that really leaves four full days in Delhi. Is that too long to hit the tourist list or should I look at other day-trip areas?

Also, we are considering staying in the Lodhi as they have a two bedroom suite. I'm having a difficult time figuring out if this is a good area for tourists. Is it close to a metro stop?

Speaking of the metro, many threads here reference hiring a driver, but with such a spread-out city, wouldn't the metro be more convenient?

Any other suggestions for hotels or luxury short-term apartments? We prefer having a suite with two separate bedrooms. Luxury is our preference, but our preferred cap is around $500ish USD per night, plus or minus.

(Would a moderator please edit my title to reflect "too" instead of "two?")

The Lodhi works well if the price is acceptable; wherever you stay, you should look at retaining a reliable car/driver for the trips in Delhi that is suitable for the size of your travel party. If you can also hire an English-speaking tour guide, it might help very substantially too.

The Delhi public transport system in August is definitely not the way to go, as you'll be dealing with way too much heat/humidity still then and then still not be able to very efficiently hit up the tourist sites given how they are spread out and their location relative to the metro stops.

Most of the Delhi tourist highlights can be finished easily in 3 days, so staying in Delhi for four or five days/nights is generally excessive if you have other things you want to see in India too.