Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Tourist visa transfer from old expired US passport to new One.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tourist visa transfer from old expired US passport to new One.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Angry Tourist visa transfer from old expired US passport to new One.

I am trying to transfer Indian tourist visa from an old expired passport to new one. I filled out CKG forms and it directed to me Indian consulate site. While filling out Indian visa form, I did not find any place where I can specify that I want to transfer existing 10 years multiple entry to my new US passport.

I talked to CKG staff from Mumbai India and he indicated that he will bring this problem to Indian consulate attention. This morning I received a e-mail from CKG staff with unlcear reply. I am quoting the text here Jessica Shaw (Passports and Visas.com)
Apr 12, 12:37 EDT
Hello!
The Indian consulate does not allow any transferring of visas if it is removed from your passport it will void it. So you will have to travel with both passports when you travel to India or if you really want on in your new passport you will have to pay and apply for a brand new visa again.
Best regards,
Passports and Visas"

I have never removed nor ever applied for removal of visa from old passport. How can they tell me that visa from old passport has removed without ever looking my old passport.

I thought Mr. Modi made getting Indian visa very smooth and seamless. But it looks to me that I was wrong. I took me eight months to get 10 years visa. The consulate staff was asking to me produce birth certificate issued by Indian state government. I was born in 1941 and that time there was no state government. India was under British control no birth certificate were issued.They will not accept school leaving certificate from India in lieu of original birth certificate. I feel like writing to Ms. Sushma Swaraj, the Indian foreign minister.

Either the CKG or Indian consulate sites or both corrupt. At one place it is asking me for my profession then name of present employer and his address. How do I specify this when I am retired for last 7 years. These information are mandatory.

Why is it so hard for Indian born citizen to get service from Indian government?

KPatel
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Yesterday I sent an e-mail Mr. Ravi Sunder, who is a deputy secretary with Indian government India. Today I got a an e-mail from CKG that Indian consulate do not allow transfer of visa from an expired US passport to new passport. CKG site does not mention this. I am attaching the message I received from CKG representative. "
Jessica Shaw (Passports and Visas.com)
Apr 13, 12:54 EDT
Sorry about that unfortunately they do not transfer the ones stamped in your passport. The ones that can be transferred are the E-visas that are good for 30 days because those are just electronically attached to your passport number.
Best regards,
Passports and Visas

My question to CKG why do not update your online site to reflect this change. CKG site shows section which leads one to tourist visa transfer. I really upset that although Mr. Modi promised to make really easing getting Indian visa fro smooth, the bureaucrats in consulate office runs the business as usual. This is because no one checking their performance, whether they are serving Indian community or not. The last time I took me more than six months to get tourist visa.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Go here:

https://www.in.ckgs.us/visa/transfer-of-tourist-visa

On the next page, under "purpose of travel" select "transfer of visa"

I have not done this but am considering it - maybe I'll just carry the old passport. Just wondering how they will deal with this at the Nepal/India border.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'm not sure there are too many countries that allow you to transfer an existing visa to a new passport....just carrying the old passport will suffice....
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

CKG has washed their hands on helping to fill out transfer of tourist visa from an expired USA passport to new USA passport. Although their onsite mention this option, they are unwilling to find out exactly why Indian consulate online site will not entertain this option. It is ridiculous to apply for fresh Indian visa when you existing Indian visa does not expire for 8 years. Is this another way of robbing travelers? I wonder. I find CKG service no better than Travisa company. I am really disappointed that Indian consulate unwilling to help Indian born people.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Is it really such a hardship to carry your old passport with you when you go to India?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by louie-m
Is it really such a hardship to carry your old passport with you when you go to India?

I am still confused about what the OP wants to do. Why not travel with both the old and new passports .

The OP seems to be insisting on transferring the visa from old passport to new passport but I don't know the reason why he/she wants to do it.????

Is the OP not aware that one can travel with new passport and old passport with visa ??
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
OP,

Just carry your old passport with the visa in it as well as your new passport.

That is all you have to do.

You don't have to transfer it, the visa in the old passport is still valid.

That is all.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:16 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by louie-m
If your passport looks like this, then yes, it's a pain.

Also, my current passport isn't too far off. Might consider getting a second one just for long-term visas.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
If your passport looks like this, then yes, it's a pain.

Also, my current passport isn't too far off. Might consider getting a second one just for long-term visas.
for a couple of years i was traveling with 4 passports....it was a slight inconvenience but i just put it down as one of the disadvantages of traveling so much....

my fourth passport had my uk visa, third had my us visa & second had my canadian & schengen visa....since i ran out of pages on all of them i had to get another passport which still serves as my current passport....i have all my visas on this one now but i'm going to run out of pages again in a few months so will once again be traveling with 2 passports....
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
for a couple of years i was traveling with 4 passports....it was a slight inconvenience but i just put it down as one of the disadvantages of traveling so much....
My worst case was 6 simultaneous booklets all because of long term validity visas and running out of pages every 8-12 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.