Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

one day in delhi

one day in delhi

Old Apr 11, 17, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k
one day in delhi

have one day in delhi(arrive airport 8.15am leave 9.30pm at night)
wondering best way to get around -what to do -go alone on metro or would hriing a driver be better?what to do and what to see?
would be with 8yr old son
thanks
Old Apr 11, 17, 11:16 am

Programs: United GS, SPG plat
AC car with driver/guide is best and most efficient method. It can be done very reasonably. The traffic and heat can wear down the most experienced travelers.

There is more than enough sights to fill 2 full days in Delhi.
Old Apr 11, 17, 7:54 pm

How long is your incoming flight? Economy or Business of First?
Your ability to enjoy depends on jetlag/tiredness.

How used to are you (and son) with third world countries? Kids who have never travelled out side US/Canada/WesternEurope sometimes have difficulty with crowds, chaos, heat and poverty.
Old Apr 12, 17, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
it would be best to get a car & driver for the day....you can easily arrange this at the airport....my firm uses a car service that i have recommended to others in the past....they are a bit on the expensive side but their service is excellent....if interested i could pass on their number....

there are many places you could visit in a day in delhi....a few that come to mind are the red fort, jama masjid, swaminarayan akshardham, humayun's tomb, qutub minar, india gate & the lotus temple....

for kids there is the national rail museum, india gate children's park & the national science center....
Old Apr 13, 17, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

thanks-we have gone with a driver and car for the day-thanks for the advice.(4000rmb)
can you advise what we should go see?(understand timewise we might be pushed?
Old Apr 14, 17, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
thanks-we have gone with a driver and car for the day-thanks for the advice.(4000rmb)
can you advise what we should go see?(understand timewise we might be pushed?
are you paying 4k rmb for the day????if yes then that is way too high....where did you get that rate????

any one of the places i mentioned in my previous post is worth a visit....you can find more info on each one of them online....
Old Apr 16, 17, 11:01 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
are you paying 4k rmb for the day????if yes then that is way too high....where did you get that rate????

any one of the places i mentioned in my previous post is worth a visit....you can find more info on each one of them online....
My god, I hope you meant 4,000 Indian Rupees and not 4,000 Chinese yuan!

I would take a drive past the parliament buildings, visit the Gandhi memorial park, go to the old city and hire a rickshaw, maybe a drive through the diplomatic area, stop for a lunch at one of the hotels.
Old Apr 16, 17, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

sorry its rupees-is that too high?i thought it was reasonable?
Old Apr 16, 17, 7:23 pm

Oh yes, I think that is quite reasonable. If it was in RMB as you inadvertently mentioned, that would be another story

I would add just one piece of advice from personal experience. Most drivers and guides, no matter how good natured and honest, god bless them, will be helpless to fight the urge to intriguingly offer to take you to a place where you can learn about Kashmiri culture first-hand aka the carpet store. This is not generally a factor of how high-end or noble the guide/driver is, as it has happened nearly without exception to me, from guides and drivers provided by the very best hotels including the Taj Mumbai and the Leela Delhi, and everywhere else for that matter . It is an elaborate exercise involving tea, and carpet after carpet and then jewelry, and is a rite of passage for tourists to India. As such, I dont necessarily warn you off of it, as it could be a way to spend some time and even buy something, so I rather just warn you of it, as if you are in Delhi for a single day, you may not want to lose two hours as a result of this sidetrack. If you do decide that you want to avoid it, you might as well try to firmly state so up front, no matter how awkward, and then temper the blow with a promise of a generous tip at the end.

Actually one more piece of advice. A licensed tour guide will only cost you 1000 rupees or so for the whole day - cheaper than the car and driver - so you may want to get one to ride along with you.

Last edited by blueline7; Apr 16, 17 at 7:38 pm
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry its rupees-is that too high?i thought it was reasonable?
if its inr then the price is right....
Old Apr 20, 17, 12:23 pm

For shopping and food go to Khan Market (boutiques there are Ogaan, FabIndia, etc.). Ogaan has a great Café on the top floor. Nice for afternoon tea. Also worth a look is Amrapali - one of the premier jewelers in India with lots of interesting ethnic pieces.

For lunch go to Lodhi restaurant in Lodhi gardens. Great outdoor seating and wonderful menu. Entrance is next to main entrance of garden.

If you want to buy pashmina, visit to Kashmir Loom Company. The showroom in the basement is open for visits but best to call first. A bit hard to find but Waze does well here and otherwise the driver can call and ask when close.

C-65, Basement, Nizamuddin East New Delhi 10013 India
Phone: +91 11 2431 8947, 4058 8650, 4650 2902

I also enjoy the Akshardham temple – Kind of a Disney like experience but fun. My favorite old site in Delhi is Hanumans Tomb, though for first time visitors the Red Ford is typical.

Most of this can be done in a day if traffic is decent.
Old Apr 26, 17, 12:49 am
Original Poster

guide mentions visiting
Chandni Chowk by cycle rickshaw is this worth doing ??
or will this be just an excuse for carpet selling
Old Apr 26, 17, 4:40 am

guide mentions visiting
Chandni Chowk by cycle rickshaw is this worth doing ??
or will this be just an excuse for carpet selling
Worth doing IMHO.
Old Apr 26, 17, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 6 MM, AC, DL (MM) & Lifetime SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton Diamond;too many others;
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
...My favorite old site in Delhi is Hanumans Tomb....
Real name is Humayun's Tomb
Old Apr 30, 17, 5:22 pm

I did 18 hours in Delhi a few years ago. Came in from Dubai around 5am, had a shower at the airport and arranged a day of sights with guide and drive. Still one of the best experiences I have ever had in my travels. Only weird part was telling immigration on the way back to Germany that I just visited for the day. Ended up spending about 15 minutes getting questioned but was let pass eventually.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: