Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Finally no more stamping of carry on tags!

Old Mar 30, 17, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/stamp...pril-1-1675378
Old Mar 30, 17, 9:39 pm

As another passenger-friendly move will they be cutting down on the repetitive passport checks? I had to show my passport eleven times at Cochin.

(And note that carry-on tag stamping is being eliminated at only a few airports.)
Old Mar 31, 17, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 889 View Post
(And note that carry-on tag stamping is being eliminated at only a few airports.)
its a welcome change nevertheless....
Old Mar 31, 17, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
This is a very welcome change. At least at BOM, stamping these tags has always added unnecessary time (and damage to my baggage tag).
Old Apr 3, 17, 8:19 am

uh- oh. There goes the typical "how bad indian bureaucracy is" story.

Seriously, this is a very welcome step.Lot of foreigners used to cite this with disdain about India (especially if they were prevented from going through security just to get tag put on so that babu can stamp something)

Now only if they get rid of "Apply for Lifelong OCI all over again at age 50" rule.
Old Apr 7, 17, 4:08 am

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by desi View Post

Now only if they get rid of "Apply for Lifelong OCI all over again at age 50" rule.
Say it aint so! Aargh, this is ridiculous! Apply again at 50?! I had no idea a lifetime was up until age 50.
Old Apr 11, 17, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
having gone through both del & bom last week, i can confirm that the stamping has been done away with....there were lots of confused passengers who are used to the old stamping system....one guy checking in next to me insisted on getting the tags because he didn't believe the agent when she told him he did not require the stamp....he kept telling her they will send him back to get the tag....

Last edited by Keyser; Apr 11, 17 at 1:34 am
Old Apr 11, 17, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in View Post
Say it aint so! Aargh, this is ridiculous! Apply again at 50?! I had no idea a lifetime was up until age 50.
Yep. One of those things that make "mera desh mahan'.

It took them 30+ years to realize that stamping of hand bags tags are not essential to the security. Somehow the entire rest of the world is managing without it.

Were forced to apply for OCI after they suddenly made multiple-entry visa restricted. You can not visit India second time in 3 months. A doctor in Washington DC could not attend his father's funeral because he has visited him few weeks/months earlier after his bypass surgery!!

Reapplying (just not new photograph) is needed for "national security" because of change in facial features. GOI logic is that between age 21 and 49 and between 51 and 100 face does not change. But if you got OCI at 49, you need to do the entire process again after 50.

BTW, in typical Indian bureaucracy fashion, you really dont have to do it at age 50. "National security" can wait until you get new passport.

Hopefully, this OCI policy will get its "Acche Din" too.
Old May 18, 17, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
To me the tags and stamping were perfectly tolerable wrinkles in my flow through the airport. I understood the reason for them and they didn't impede my flow in any meaningful way.

Over on the BA forum we get similar levels of exasperation expressed over that airline's tagging of items of hand-baggage at the gate. Some regulars get apoplectic at the affront, and argue the toss with the taggers - even though their progress is hardly impeded and there's a perfectly sensible reason for the operation.
Old Jan 15, 19, 2:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
BOM eliminated the stamping of domestic boarding passes this month: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67528056.cms
Keyser likes this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
BOM eliminated the stamping of domestic boarding passes this month: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67528056.cms
good riddance....hopefully del will follow suit soon....
Old Jan 17, 19, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
good riddance....hopefully del will follow suit soon....
There's no stamping in HYD ... IIRC. They just scan your BP after security.
Old Jan 17, 19, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
There's no stamping in HYD ... IIRC. They just scan your BP after security.
last time i flew out of hyd was 3-4 months ago....they were definitely stamping the boarding pass during security at that time....
Old Jan 31, 19, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
last time i flew out of hyd was 3-4 months ago....they were definitely stamping the boarding pass during security at that time....
Dec 31, no stamping
Old Feb 1, 19, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Dec 31, no stamping
good to know....

Search this Thread