MAA Chennai question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAA Chennai question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
MAA Chennai question

Hello,
I am arriving in International terminal and have approx 5 hours to kill before my colleague arrives in the domestic terminal. Was wondering a few things, that I haven't been able to find on FT, or through broader searches:
1-Can I go from the International terminal to the domestic terminal w/out a ticket?
2-Is there a OneWorld lounge available in the International terminal for AA Platinum (OneWorld Sapphire) that I can get to in the arrivals section of MAA
3-Is there a OW Sapphire lounge in the domestic terminal that I can access pre-security, with only my international arriving ticket?

Basically am looking to relax in OW lounge, while waiting for my colleague to arrive. Also, need to be able to meet him in domestic terminal
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Hello,
1-Can I go from the International terminal to the domestic terminal w/out a ticket?
2-Is there a OneWorld lounge available in the International terminal for AA Platinum (OneWorld Sapphire) that I can get to in the arrivals section of MAA
3-Is there a OW Sapphire lounge in the domestic terminal that I can access pre-security, with only my international arriving ticket?
1-No, you need to show proof of confirmed same day departure flight to enter domestic terminal
2-No lounge in arrivals area and arrivals hall not the best place to hang around
3-No OWE lounge and you'll not be allowed to enter terminal without proof of same day departing flight

I suggest heading out to your place of accommodation and meet there.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Hello,
I am arriving in International terminal and have approx 5 hours to kill before my colleague arrives in the domestic terminal. Was wondering a few things, that I haven't been able to find on FT, or through broader searches:

Basically am looking to relax in OW lounge, while waiting for my colleague to arrive. Also, need to be able to meet him in domestic terminal
nothing to do at the airport in maa & you won't be allowed into the domestic terminal without a ticket....there are however a number of hotels close to the airport where you can relax for a few hours before coming back to the domestic terminal to meet your colleague....however, like i said before, you won't be allowed inside....
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Thanks for the replies. I did wind up checking into my hotel early and meeting my colleague back at airport to head to the office.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
MAA connections

If I can add a couple of my own questions to this...

Arriving 0330 on BA departing 0935 on Sri Lankan.

Is there a transfer facility or would we need to exit and return? If the former are the overnight facilities airside good and would there be any lounge open and accessible to us (OneWorld Emerald)? If the latter we would have to wait a few hours outside for check in to open?

On the return we are looking at arriving 2000 on Sri Lankan and departing on BA at 0530.

Thanks for any advice and insight.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LSunbury

Is there a transfer facility or would we need to exit and return? If the former are the overnight facilities airside good and would there be any lounge open and accessible to us (OneWorld Emerald)? If the latter we would have to wait a few hours outside for check in to open?

On the return we are looking at arriving 2000 on Sri Lankan and departing on BA at 0530.

Thanks for any advice and insight.
I'm presuming your on 2 separate tickets.

There is no transfer facility that would facilitate the transfer from the BA flight to Sri Lankan one. You'd have to exit and re enter the Intl. terminal (which would also mean having a multiple entry Indian visa, as you mention the same routine would apply on your return as well)

As far as lounges go, the way i see it, you'd have to wait for a little bit until the Sri Lankan counter opens for check in at 06.35 hrs. You could attempt entering the airport a little earlier than that as well. All the lounges are post check-in, immigration & security.

On your return your wait seems to be much longer. An option is checking into one of the hotels near the airport. Sure would beat hanging around at the airport till 05.30 hrs.

Hope this helps...
Old May 11, 2017, 2:22 am

Thanks for the helpful reply. It would be separate tickets so we would have the exit, wait and return to the terminal as I suspected. Not sure my better half will be too keen on that.

Plan B is probably a decent QR sale for our dates and we can fly direct into MLE from DOH.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:34 am

Thanks for the helpful reply. It would be separate tickets so we would have the exit, wait and return to the terminal as I suspected. Not sure my better half will be too keen on that.

Plan B is probably a decent QR sale for our dates and we can fly direct into MLE from DOH.
Plan B would definitely be the easier thing, if the BA/ UL tickets haven't been bought or issued as yet.

On the way in, i think it's a manageable wait. On the way out, taking a room would definitely be the better bet and this would set you back by about 100 USD$ including the airport transfers.

Last edited by quarryking; May 11, 2017 at 2:36 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC bronze

I stumbled across this thread whilst looking for a different (more recent) thread.

Did you end up doing this trip via Chennai? I am doing the same next month (0300 - 1000) and am debating a hotel or just to sit out the wait in the lounge.
Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:34 pm

We didn't go through Chennai in the end, but took flights on QR instead.

Hope your trip goes well, whatever you decide.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Thanks for the response.
We're leaning towards staying in the lounge.
Whether we would be able to leave the airport anyway on one ticket we aren't yet sure.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Gold
INTL to INTL connection in MAA

I have an upcoming intl transfer in Chennai (MAA) arriving at 2.30am on UL leaving 5.30am on BA. Both segments are on the same PNR. if you have ever experienced the same itinerary, can you confirm UL checks through the luggage in CMB and i won’t need an Indian transit visa and can stay airside for the connection in MAA?

thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by 853
I have an upcoming intl transfer in Chennai (MAA) arriving at 2.30am on UL leaving 5.30am on BA. Both segments are on the same PNR. if you have ever experienced the same itinerary, can you confirm UL checks through the luggage in CMB and i won’t need an Indian transit visa and can stay airside for the connection in MAA?

thanks!
Since you've mentioned both segments are on the same PNR, then they'd check you luggage on out all the way to LHR (from CMB itself). You'd just need to hang around air side @ MAA until it's time to board for the BA flight.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
New chennai questions... Considering attending a wedding in December. We are USA citizens and total newbies for India. What do we need to do for visa?
what is best SFO/maa routing to consider? Totally clueless on airlines for India and we want any cheap C tickets for the long journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.