Reload this Page >

Mumbai / Elephanta Island

Old Dec 10, 16, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat

Just wrapping up 4 days in Mumbai (my first time here).

Yesterday we did a tour of the Elephanta Island Caves. I had searched for info here and found nothing, so thought I would pass on what I found. The caves are filled with fantastic sculptures dating back to the 4th-8th centuries and there is much history surrounding each one.

Lots of wild but docile dogs on the island. The monkeys on the other hand are much more aggressive.

There is no electricity on the island except for that provided from generators which are started up 3 hrs during the daytime and at night. So no wifi. There is a nice restaurant on the island.

We used a tour guide named Manoj Bhoir. He was born on the island and still lives there even though he met us at the Gateway of India to accompany us on the ferry over. His English was excellent and he was quite knowledgeable. If interested, Manoj can be reached at (91) 9821314539 or (91) 9757166004.

Ferry crossing was 180 rupees per person (plus 10 rupees to upgrade to upper level ). Admission for foreigners to caves was 500 rupees per person. 10 rupees for small train to take you down the pier (we walked) and 5 rupees tax.
Old Dec 12, 16, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
interesting....i went there once about 25 years ago....i'm sure its more touristy now than it was back then....

Search this Thread