Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Meeting point in arrivals at BOM T2

Old Oct 28, 16, 10:21 am
Original Poster

I'm arriving into T2 at BOM an hour and a half before the rest of my group. It sounds like there's not an arrivals lounge in T2. Is there a good place for us to arrange to meet up, since none of us will have a phone signal at that point? Maybe a prominent "landmark" of some kind?

Or should I wait near the baggage claim for their flight to arrive, and finish clearing customs & immigration with them? I read somewhere that there are bathrooms, etc. before customs, but not once you've cleared into the country.
Old Oct 28, 16, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
there is not much to do in the arrivals area in bom t2....i would wait in the baggage area for the rest of your group to arrive....

there is free wi-fi in the arrivals area so you could use that to communicate with the rest of your group....
Old Nov 6, 16, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so this is the layout, for those interested:

You clear immigration, then pick up your luggage to clear customs. You can wait in that area (pre-customs), but if you go ahead and exit customs, there's a huge lobby with a nice lounge-ish area that you can wait for people in. Many of the chairs were pretty similar to what you'd find in most airline lounges - large, soft, and comfortable. There are restrooms, ATMs, money exchange, and a couple places to buy a little food.

Perhaps most importantly, the exteriors doors to the lobby are exit-only - no one can be in it except people who just came off a plane. Anyone outside cannot come in. This makes it much quieter and safer than it would be otherwise.

There is free wifi, but only for an hour. More importantly, you either have to have a phone number on which you can receive a verification text (which most people would not have), or you have to get a wifi voucher from an information desk. All of the information desks outside of customs were closed when I arrived (~8 PM). There was one inside the baggage claim area, but I didn't know at that time that I'd need to get a wifi voucher from them. Once I found out, of course, I was already through customs and couldn't go back. If you want to use the wifi, I'd highly recommend that you get a voucher from the first information desk that you see with a person at it. Otherwise you may not be able to get access at all.

You can buy an all-day wifi pass for about 30 cents, but their checkout page was broken, so the purchase never went through. We tried on 4 different devices running 3 different OSes.
Old Dec 13, 16, 12:36 am

If you are coming from USA and have TMOBILE service then you will have excellent cellular connection even BEFORE you get off the plane. For non-streaming type of internet usage, looking for wifi (and the associated risks) seems to have become a thing of past in most urban areas of most countries (provided of course if you have TMOBILE)

The semi-public semi-secured zone that is typical in India is of frustration for those planning to arrive at airport more than 4 hours before their flight but is definitely of great mental relief for arrving jet-lagged pax (just compare scene at LHR or JFK or LAX)

Last edited by desi; Dec 13, 16 at 12:42 am

Search this Thread