Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Safe Street Food For Tourists in Delhi

Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Are the places listed on here for street food in Delhi safe for western tourists?

https://grabhouse.com/urbancocktail/...aces-in-delhi/

If not, anyone know where in Delhi I can try safe street food?

Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:36 am

Street food especially raw or uncooked food like cut fruits or salads or water based food items like Pani puri ( as you mentioned ) or fresh juices are an absolute No No ..to avoid the famous Delhi Belly !!! Most cooked food -VEG ( street or restaurant ) is usually ok and safe ( unless too spicy ). Of course having said that you have to use your discretion ...Enjoy your vacation and have fun and do try a variety of local cuisines and flavors in the different regions you are travelling. Good Luck
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
1,5,6,10 should be OK. The others are just too risky for visitors.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i have eaten at all of these places on your list & my top 3 picks would be numbers 1, 9 & 14....i have taken western tourists to these 3 places a number of times....

another place worth checking out is leisure valley park in sector 29, gurgaon....there are about 2 dozen food trucks parked there serving the most amazing food....my favourite is the gtr 2500 truck which serves this dish called the chicken naanwich....its to die for....
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just make one differentiation:
- the real street food, ie stuff sold to the general public literally on the side of the street: this stuff is lethal for foreign stomach and to be consumed only in dire emergencies
- street food stalls/shops/trucks in malls or pukka shops/stores: these are high(er) end food outlets trying to recreate* 'real street food' in hygenic environments. This is relatively safe to eat for outsiders

*Purists know that for example pani puri is impossible to recreate hygenically, the unique taste probably stems from bacteria growing in semi-/unwashed utensils
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My visiting family and friends have done number 9 for meat, and it's never given them or me any issues.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
#8 is fine too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.