Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Mumbai to Agra

Mumbai to Agra

Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Mumbai to Agra

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out an itinerary that works in Agra by air (when I did the drive from Delhi last time, it took a bazillion hours).

I don't particularly want to spend time in Delhi other than arriving the day before for my 4am departure.

The flight from Mumbai makes two stops on the way to Agra. This is on Air India, I didn't find another option. Leaves at 7am, arrives 2pm.

Alternatively, I could fly to Delhi on Jet at 6:15 AM (perhaps in Business if awards are available) and leave by car from Delhi. I land at about 8:20 AM.

It seems like the travel by air is more efficient, but I'm worried about timeliness with two stops (DEL, VNS). If I misconnect in Delhi, I'd have to drive anyway.

If I leave Delhi airport for Agra at 9:10am on Saturday December 31, would traffic already be bad?

Which would you do?

Any other thoughts? It seems like Agra is only reachable from Varanasi nonstop.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just fly to DEL and take a car. Flying to AGR via DEL is pointless.

Code:
TN31DECBOMAGR                                                                   
** AMADEUS TIMETABLE - TN ** AGR AGRA.IN                       31DEC16 07JAN17  
 1   AI 864  136  BOM 2 DEL 3  0700    0905   0 CONNECT DEL     321             
     AI 406  136  DEL 3 AGR    1025    1355   1 31OCT16         319  6:55       
 2   9W 390  136  BOM 2 DEL 3  0615    0820   0 CONNECT DEL     738             
     AI 406  136  DEL 3 AGR    1025    1355   1 31OCT16 25MAR17 319  7:40       
 3   9W 329  6    BOM 2 AMD 1  0520    0630   0 CONNECT AMD     73H             
     AI 018  6    AMD 2 DEL 3  0715    0920   0 CONNECT DEL     320             
     AI 406  6    DEL 3 AGR    1025    1355   1 05NOV16 04MAR17 319  8:35       
 4   9W 329  13   BOM 2 AMD 1  0520    0630   0 CONNECT AMD     73H             
     AI 018  13   AMD 2 DEL 3  0715    0920   0 CONNECT DEL     32A             
     AI 406  13   DEL 3 AGR    1025    1355   1 31OCT16 01MAR17 319  8:35       
>
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by beachfan
(when I did the drive from Delhi last time, it took a bazillion hours).
when did you do this????

there is a new highway now that significantly reduces your travel time....the last time i drove from delhi to agra it took me less than 3 hours....
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Originally Posted by Keyser
when did you do this????

there is a new highway now that significantly reduces your travel time....the last time i drove from delhi to agra it took me less than 3 hours....
The new highway is amazing - as good as anything in the US. As Keyser says, you will reach comfortably within 3 hours. It actually ends up taking less time than a flight would if you count arriving at the airport early.

Also, you can just keep the car during your stay and use it for sightseeing around Agra. Then use the same car to come back to Delhi. Door to door service is a real benefit.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
when did you do this????

Thanks for the tip!

It was about 7 years ago.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shounak
The new highway is amazing - as good as anything in the US. As Keyser says, you will reach comfortably within 3 hours. It actually ends up taking less time than a flight would if you count arriving at the airport early.

Also, you can just keep the car during your stay and use it for sightseeing around Agra. Then use the same car to come back to Delhi. Door to door service is a real benefit.
Will be in Agra 3 nights and then getting a driver to Jaipur for another 3 nights. My award ticket goes Jaipur-Delhi-Abu Dhabi-LAX, so won't take it back to Delhi, but maybe keep it for the two days of sightseeing and going onward to Jaipur.

Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will be in Agra 3 nights and then getting a driver to Jaipur for another 3 nights. My award ticket goes Jaipur-Delhi-Abu Dhabi-LAX, so won't take it back to Delhi, but maybe keep it for the two days of sightseeing and going onward to Jaipur.

Thanks!
I am planning my trip at the moment, and everyone I have spoken to has told me that one night in Agra is more than enough, they said aside from the Taj Mahal, there isn't a heck of a lot to see / do, and the town itself isn't particularly nice (one Indian chap who told me about the town used a much more graphic description).
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Originally Posted by emma69
I am planning my trip at the moment, and everyone I have spoken to has told me that one night in Agra is more than enough, they said aside from the Taj Mahal, there isn't a heck of a lot to see / do, and the town itself isn't particularly nice (one Indian chap who told me about the town used a much more graphic description).
Two days one night max. Taj Mahal and the Agra Fort. And if you want you can take a day trip on to Fatehpur Sikri which is about 40km from Agra.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Each to their own. I've been before for three nights and going again.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Taj Mahal and Agra fort can be done in a day, plus one more if you want to add Fathepur Sikri. Extremely interesting if you know something about Indian history. Agra fort is like Istanbuls Topkapi, different architectural styles in one place. Sadly the Moghuls didn't manage to stay around till today, so the fort stops developing in the 1700s. Luckily it became an army property, so no one touched it for centuries.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
One or two nights in Agra is all I've ever done or had done for others. Three nights would only make sense to me if one or two of the nights were for positioning purposes or related to late arrivals/early departures.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
when did you do this????

+1. This was a pleasant and easy trip. Just stay overnight as it is not worth it to do a same day drive. The car rides can however be quite expensive.

I also think one night in Agra is sufficient. But you will want to ensure that you see the Taj at dawn, so stay the night before and visit perhaps the day you leave. However, if staying at the Oberoi Amarvilas, the pool and hotel is so pleasant that two days there would be very nice indeed.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

It seems I will be coming from Goa, and with the new highway, it seems like I can do it in one day. However, if I want a non-stop GOI-DEL, it seems that my choices are Air Asia flights that arrive at 5pm and 6pm or Air India arriving at 5pm-ish.

The one stop alternative would be on Jet and would be either a 9am or 11am arrival.

Is the traffic at 5pm/6pm from DEL to Agra much more horrific than a morning trip so that it's more worthwhile to take a connecting flight on Jet?

Also, if anyone has a comment on Air Asia vs. Air India vs. Jet on a one stop, irregardless of arrival time, I'm all ears.

I would have said Jet is better, but on my last trip from, they IDB'ed me on an internal flight.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
It seems I will be coming from Goa, and with the new highway, it seems like I can do it in one day. However, if I want a non-stop GOI-DEL, it seems that my choices are Air Asia flights that arrive at 5pm and 6pm or Air India arriving at 5pm-ish.

The one stop alternative would be on Jet and would be either a 9am or 11am arrival.

Is the traffic at 5pm/6pm from DEL to Agra much more horrific than a morning trip so that it's more worthwhile to take a connecting flight on Jet?

Also, if anyone has a comment on Air Asia vs. Air India vs. Jet on a one stop, irregardless of arrival time, I'm all ears.

I would have said Jet is better, but on my last trip from, they IDB'ed me on an internal flight.
once you get on the highway then it doesn't matter what time it is....you won't find any traffic....your problem will be getting to the highway from the airport....5-6pm would be terrible traffic....9am or 11am would be a much better bet....
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

More than a 90 minute difference? That's the extra travel time of the connection (assuming no misconnect).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.