FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Transit without visa from BA to UL. 4.5 hours at MAA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1764780-transit-without-visa-ba-ul-4-5-hours-maa.html)

Percy Pig May 9, 2016 6:17 pm

Transit without visa from BA to UL. 4.5 hours at MAA

Hi there,

I'm looking at booking BA LHR-MAA, then on a separate ticket on UL MAA-CMB. I've looked at the nuts and bolts of it, and it appears I don't need an Indian visa if my bags are checked all the way through (BA should interline to UL) and if I have my boarding pass for the UL flight (I could check in online before I leave).

Now I think I can do it... the question is, should I? Has anyone had any experience of this? Namely:

1) I have seen reference to a "transit area" where pax doing the above are held. Is the transit area at MAA ok? 4.5 hours (with a 1.5 year old) may be challenging if it's pretty horrible...

2) Can you get out of the "transit area" and go to a lounge? I will have lounge access, and although the lounges don't sound great at MAA, they will presumably be nicer than the "transit area". I've not seen any reference to transit passengers getting to lounges, but if you are airside it makes sense to me that you should be able to get to a lounge.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Keyser May 10, 2016 2:10 am

technically it can be done but its not something i would personally try with a small child without a visa....

Percy Pig May 10, 2016 2:29 am

Thanks, but why not? Do you have personal experience of it not working?

Keyser May 10, 2016 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Percy Pig (Post 26602191)
Thanks, but why not? Do you have personal experience of it not working?

if it were del or bom then i would be more comfortable trying something like this....maa is a small airport so there are chances things could go wrong....

typically, with online boarding passes, you have to get them stamped at the airline counter before you are allowed to board....not sure you can get that done in the transit area....i know someone who faced this problem in del while trying to transit to sin without an indian visa....

if all goes well then you should be able to go to the lounge area quite easily....the lounges are right next to the boarding gates so that won't be a problem....

Percy Pig May 10, 2016 4:18 am

What happened to your friend? Presumably they were let through eventually... If you don't have a visa but you do have an onward ticket it's probably easiest just to stick you on that plane!

Keyser May 10, 2016 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Percy Pig (Post 26602419)
What happened to your friend? Presumably they were let through eventually... If you don't have a visa but you do have an onward ticket it's probably easiest just to stick you on that plane!

he was made to wait in the transit area for a number of hours till they could get hold of someone from the airline to stamp the boarding pass....but he said they gave him a pretty hard time....

oliver2002 May 10, 2016 7:44 am

You have to wait at the transit desk to get a 'legal' boarding pass before you can go thru the CISF security screening and into the departure concourse/level. If UL has someone available that early to come to the transfer desk and issue you a BP, this is a plan. Most likely checkin for UL at MAA only opens at T-3h, so no one will be around.

Similar question here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...e-tickets.html

Just email the MAA airport office and ask if anyone will meet the BA arrival to help you and the baby on that day:

Chennai - Airport Office
SriLankan Airlines Ltd., Room No. 03,
2nd Floor Departure Terminal,Anna International Airport,
Meenambakkam, Chennai 600 027, India.

Telephone : +914422560577
Fax : +914422561278
Email : [email protected]

onlysuites May 10, 2016 11:14 am

Is Visa on arrival started for UK nationals in case the OP's missed her connection?

Percy Pig May 10, 2016 11:23 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites (Post 26604314)
Is Visa on arrival started for UK nationals in case the OP's missed her connection?

Surely if I was a "her" I'd be Penny Pig!

Percy Pig May 10, 2016 11:24 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 26603104)

Just email the MAA airport office and ask if anyone will meet the BA arrival to help you and the baby on that day:

Thank you, that's very helpful

onlysuites May 10, 2016 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Percy Pig (Post 26604362)
Surely if I was a "her" I'd be Penny Pig!

Sorry I apologise. :) Not sure why I assumed you were a penny pig.

Percy Pig May 12, 2016 9:22 am

An easy mistake to make!

I've looked again and it's actually 3hrs 55mins between flights.

I think I'm gonna risk it, on the basis that's it's "technically possible" as stated above (and confirmed elsewhere on the internet). If it all goes wrong at least it will be a good story :o

I think Oliver2002's idea of emailing UL's chennai representative to meet us off the plane is a very good idea.

erik123 May 12, 2016 11:22 am

The problem is not MAA but whether BA will let you board. I would get the E-Visa - a small price to pay as an insurance policy. And if delayed you can go to a hotel instead of being stuck.

Percy Pig May 12, 2016 11:29 am

It's us$60pp right? So $180 for three of us. Not *that* small a price to pay (although i of course see your point)

onlysuites May 12, 2016 11:33 am

I would opt for the visa. By the way how would UL collect your luggage and clear customs if you can't go outside?