Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

DEL - Entry to security hold area - 3 or 6 hours prior to international departure?

DEL - Entry to security hold area - 3 or 6 hours prior to international departure?

Old Apr 26, 16, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex Platinum, AmEx AP+ Platinum, NEXUS/GE, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold

Hey guys,

I'm flying back to YYZ from DEL (00:10 departure) in 2 days and will be staying at JW Marriott by the airport. Even with late checkout, I think I'll have a few hours to kill before reaching the airport, however, I'd like to spend as much time as i can at the airport (primarily lounge) rather than surrounding areas.

Having said that, I'm getting conflicting information about how soon I can enter the security hold area. Is it 3 or 6 hours? Even if check-in counter doesn't open 3 hours prior to departure, is there a way I could pass the security, use the lounge and come back to check-in? (highly unlikely I guess but would still like to check).
Old Apr 26, 16, 5:58 pm

i doubt it, when i left delhi in march all the lounges are post immigration
Old Apr 27, 16, 1:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You need a paper BP to get thru security and immigration to the lounges. If you checkin online, the CISF still wants to see a stamp from the airline on the BP. Mobile boarding passes are not allowed. So in any case you have to wait till ACs counter opens.
Old Apr 27, 16, 1:03 pm

You can enter the check-in area before the 3 hours very easily with a doctored boarding pass - but you won't be able to check-in and pass security to enter the lounge. There are arrivals lounges but you can't enter the arrivals area from the departure hall.

Best would be to have a later dinner at the Marriott and/or use the gym. I am quite sure they will let you use the shower/changing room if needed.
Old Apr 28, 16, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex Platinum, AmEx AP+ Platinum, NEXUS/GE, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks guys; I'm planning to take a small city tour after I checkout, it should help me burn some hours. Will update this thread once I'm back home to share my experience so others don't have to ask the same question.
Old Apr 28, 16, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the counters should open about 3.5 hours or so before your flight....entering the airport before that will be useless as you won't be able to go beyond the check-in area....
Old Apr 30, 16, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by hsandhar View Post
Hey guys,

I'm flying back to YYZ from DEL (00:10 departure) in 2 days and will be staying at JW Marriott by the airport. Even with late checkout, I think I'll have a few hours to kill before reaching the airport, however, I'd like to spend as much time as i can at the airport (primarily lounge) rather than surrounding areas.

Having said that, I'm getting conflicting information about how soon I can enter the security hold area. Is it 3 or 6 hours? Even if check-in counter doesn't open 3 hours prior to departure, is there a way I could pass the security, use the lounge and come back to check-in? (highly unlikely I guess but would still like to check).
Check out, have lunch at hotel and go for a few hours drive. Thats a long wait at the airport otherwise.
Old Apr 30, 16, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Final update:

Flight scheduled for: 00:10
Checked-out of hotel: 14:00 (hotel was only 5-10 minutes away from the airport; Aerocity JW Marriott), so I decided to take a taxi and drive around the city for a while.
Got dropped off at the airport: 18:00
Went to use the Allways waiting lounge/area: 18:00 - 20:00
Entered the check-in area around 20:05
Check-in counter opened around 20:30
Security/immigration took about 5-10 minutes in total; ended up spending the rest of time (20:45 - 23:15) at the lounge and then walked to the gate.

Next time, I'd much rather stick around at the hotel bar or restaurant instead of waiting at the AllWays waiting area/lounge.
Old May 10, 16, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by hsandhar View Post
Final update:

Flight scheduled for: 00:10
Checked-out of hotel: 14:00 (hotel was only 5-10 minutes away from the airport; Aerocity JW Marriott), so I decided to take a taxi and drive around the city for a while.
Got dropped off at the airport: 18:00
Went to use the Allways waiting lounge/area: 18:00 - 20:00
Entered the check-in area around 20:05
Check-in counter opened around 20:30
Security/immigration took about 5-10 minutes in total; ended up spending the rest of time (20:45 - 23:15) at the lounge and then walked to the gate.

Next time, I'd much rather stick around at the hotel bar or restaurant instead of waiting at the AllWays waiting area/lounge.
That must have been one long day!

Search this Thread