Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Do I need to transfer Indian visa from one passport to another?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM

Just found out (at the airport) that our 8 yr old daughter's US passport expired in June :-(. Trying to get her an emergency renewal (hope it works).

Her 10 yr Indian visa is in her current passport - can she travel with that visa or does that need to be transferred to the new passport? Help please!

Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Doesn't need to be transferred.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Doesn't need to be transferred.
Thank you!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:33 am

I don't think so, that it needs to be.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: BA GfL
I can confirm that your daughter can use her valid Indian visa on an expired passport and present it with a valid passport. I've done this on multiple occasions.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i know tons of people who have their visas on their old passports....they have never had a problem traveling to india on their new passports....just carry the old passport with you as well & you will be good to go....
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:59 am

The only time you need to get a new visa is if the new passport is of a different citizenship from the old one containing the visa.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: united airlines
So one must carry their old passport with the visa in it along with their new passport when they travel? Might the agency that handles visa applications transfer the visa to the new passport, perhaps for a few less than the original one?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks you all - our daughter was able to travel to India using her new passport + Indian Visa in the old passport. No one batted an eyelid when both passports were given.

Last edited by pindi; Feb 4, 2016 at 11:42 am
Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:31 pm

No problem entering or leaving India in that case, but sometimes hotels are flummoxed: they don't know which passport to register. (It should be the new one with the current entry stamp, not the old one with the visa.) I actually had one hotel turn me away because they were so afraid of making a mistake on the registration form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.