Wiki Posts
Search

Clean and tout-free India travel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Clean and tout-free India travel?

I was wondering if it is possible at all to have a clean, hassle and tout-free vacation in India. I would love to see the Taj Mahal, the forts of Rajasthan, Khajuraho temples, and other sights.
However, a recent travel program showing the ubiquitous touts and street scams, the pollution, the virulent street food and the gross behavior of people (e.g. pooping in pubic in plain sight) has seriously diminished my interest.
I am mistaken in my assessment?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
Uh.
If I were to travel in the USA in 5-star luxury-style, could you guarantee me I would not be hassled for a bigger tip by a waiter?
If you were to come to Australia, could I guarantee you would not be stung by a jellyfish whilst swimming at the beach?
I have been to India. I backpacked (as I always do). I can't say you would not be hassled even if you travelled in luxury. I took first-class rail (cheap for a foreigner). The attendants hassled me (as a foreigner) for tips. Even at the airport, the trolley-collecter pulled a trolley away from right in front of me (not my trolley, and it was his job anyway), but he asked me for a tip.
There won't be any poor people or people pooing at your luxury hotel. They can and do hang around the street and tourist attractions. I can't see you can avoid them unless you hire bodyguards.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
yes you are....

you might come across touts & poverty & possible scams but they are no different from visiting any other third world country....
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Also note that any documentary showing India will highlight the obligatory holy cow walking the street and comment on the not so nice things. One journo told me he puts it in because the editors expect it.

My point is you are visiting another country to experience what is different from yours. In India, thats not only the climate and different looking people, but the way life is lived. People seem aggressive, but can be dealt with. My mother makes it a point to walk with an umbrella and sometimes shows that she is willing to use it as a stick when being accosted for what ever reason. My wife noted that Indians touting tourists usually let go and move on when the tourist clearly isn't interested and makes it very clear by loundly saying 'no! go away!' (Unlike N.Africans who take that as an invite to up the ante ).
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments so far. The only countries in Asia I visited solo were Cambodia, Thailand and Singapore. If India is anything like these, I guess I'm fine.
Still, I am wondering if an organized tour is a better idea than traveling solo.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
No, India is dirtier and the levels of poverty, extortion, corruption, overcrowding are higher.
India is definitely a bit rough.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
If you want to see the sites then go watch some films or look at pictures.

If you want to see INDIA you will have to take the good with the bad. The good is certainly worth it. It's a place you will have strong opinions about for sure.

-A solo female backpacker (flashpacker?) currently travelling in India
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
PS as always when I travel, I DID get sick here once. Violently ill, in fact. Guess where it was? The Radisson in Agra. Street food is the best option I find in 50+ countries (mostly 3rd world/developing). Find the stand with the most people waiting in line and a guy cooking to order, you won't get anything fresher.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Daichovo
PS as always when I travel, I DID get sick here once. Violently ill, in fact. Guess where it was? The Radisson in Agra.
+1.

We used to frequently book the Taj Mahal hotel's various Xmas and other annual celebration event buffets in Mumbai, when we found ourselves getting sick too frequently.

Subsequently we found out from ex-staffers that they used to put back the cheeses and other items which were not consumed back into refrigeration and this could happen 4-5 times before they were thrown away.

After that, we never bothered to attend these.

This was maybe 5-6 years ago - it has probably changed with the new awareness about cooking and cooking standards in India.

Originally Posted by Daichovo
Street food is the best option I find in 50+ countries (mostly 3rd world/developing). Find the stand with the most people waiting in line and a guy cooking to order, you won't get anything fresher.
I would concur with this. Also make sure to check to see if he is wearing gloves when handling the food - but this is not always a 100% surety even then...
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by adventuroustraveller
No, India is dirtier and the levels of poverty, extortion, corruption, overcrowding are higher.
India is definitely a bit rough.
It depends on where in India you go, when you go, and how you go. And it depends on the basis for comparison.

There are tourists to India who leave India without having witnessed extreme poverty (at least not any more extreme than some of the stuff I've seen in rural parts of the US), extortion (at least not any more than that of the DHS/TSA variety in the US), corruption (at least not any more than that which provides for a lot of Washington lobbyists' "comfortable" lifestyle) and overcrowding (at least nothing even close to what I run into on the Number 6 during rush hour in Manhattan).

India has its challenges for tourists (and others there) too, but it's quite the experience -- no less so if you fancy a window into a bit of sensory overload from time to time.

And I say this as someone who, for many, many years, used to try to avoid going there; but I have changed my opinion and approach about visiting (or perhaps even living there if certain conditions are met).

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 12, 2015 at 9:09 am
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And I say this as someone who, for many, many years, used to try to avoid going there; but I have changed my opinion and approach about visiting (or perhaps even living there if certain conditions are met).
What is (was) your solution?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SWA
For reluctant travelers to India: Palace on Wheels

We made our first trip to India two years ago. An Indian friend suggested we look into Palace on Wheels, and it was perfect for us.
You travel by train, staying in restored railcars from the maharaja era (private baths, real beds).
Between train stations and monuments, we were transported by coach, toured the sites and then returned to our train.
The experience was excellent. The food was carefully prepared to give us the option of Indian cuisine, but avoid issues with food we might not digest well. Food poisoning never occurred among the 20 or so folks we saw daily.
That said, we weren't so insulated that we missed the cultural and economic differences. And the staff made it safe for us to ask our Stupid American questions without insult.
The train moved us between cities while dining onboard or sleeping. We like traveling by train, and this was a fabulous experience. There are also tours using modern train sets, and they are seriously expensive and would prevent much contact outside the bubble. Not what I seek when I travel.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I was wondering if it is possible at all to have a clean, hassle and tout-free vacation in India. I would love to see the Taj Mahal, the forts of Rajasthan, Khajuraho temples, and other sights.
However, a recent travel program showing the ubiquitous touts and street scams, the pollution, the virulent street food and the gross behavior of people (e.g. pooping in pubic in plain sight) has seriously diminished my interest.
Being originally from that part of the world, a clean, hassle and tout-free vacation in India is next to impossible. However as many have pointed out, this is very common in most third world countries and even parts of the first world. India has changed a lot over the years with a better educated and wealthier middle class though there is still abject poverty. I would advise going with a open mind and you will enjoy your experience, touts and all. If your trip is 'sanitized' i.e. high end tour group, the issues you described will be far less. You will also miss out on the Indian experience. People will try and hassle you as they are trying to make a living. Ignoring them is the best option. Not much you can do about the general cleanliness of the place. My advice is to drink aerated drinks as they are less likely to be fake. Eat hot, fresh cooked food rather than salads as the salads may not have been washed in clean water. Visit washrooms in higher end hotels and restaurants. These precautions will help to reduce the chances of the famous Delhi belly.
You should interact with the locals - you will find them lively, hospitable and curious. There are amazing sights to see in India. If you want a mini-break in India from the hustle bustle, then head to Goa for a few days which will be cleaner, less crowded and with some great beaches and food. But then again you can get that in Mexico too. Go out on a limb and enjoy India.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:28 pm

First class travel in India

Yes. Clean tout-free travel is possible in India, especially if you are up for paying the price. I have traveled over the years in a range of travel styles - mainly 'flash-packing' - nice hotel though not luxury, with dine homestays in interesting places, more recently air BnBs. Some of my trips several years back, however were Five Star - and India was one. I traveled with my two daughters, within a week of the Mumbai terrorist attack and, as a result there were many cancellations. we were able to upgrade and a private Abercrombie & Kent guide accompanied us on our trip throughout northern India. He navigated the country, took us to the places I outlined many more. Because of this experience I know we avoided some of the hassle others described. The trip was fabulous.

As I said, I do not always travel in that level of style, but if you can spend the money, you can have the experience.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

On top of the issues discussed above, it seems that India is not very LGBT friendly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.