Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

What about the TAJ SWAI MADHOPUR LODGE, Ranthambore

Old Jan 7, 2007, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United P1 and million miler

Anybody stay at the TAJ SWAI MADHOPUR LODGE in Ranthambore? I've heard conflicting reports. It's supposedly a former hunting lodge of the local maharajah.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:46 am

I stayed there for 3 days 2 years ago with a group of 15. I like the hotel. I stayed in one of the tents outsides which was fun for the novelty. They were nicer than 'tents', but not A&K caliber tents. I'd stay in them again for the experience. The real rooms were nice - nothing overly opulent, but clearly well-done rooms. Favorite part of the hotel was the outdoor veranda overlooking the lawn. Each night we'd all gather there for drinks and to share tall tails. A positive experience overall.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United P1 and million miler
Don't stay there

Our stay was dreadful. First they showed us to our prepaid room--like a crummy motel of the '60s--then offered to upgrade us for $50 more per night. We upgraded to a decent room, but the food was poor and the service was eager but incompetent.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
I stayed there during december of 2004 and here are my thoughts:

Food -- AMAZING !!!
Hotel -- stayed in one of the tents...nice..but I think the Oberoi is better....

Saw 2 tigers in the wild -- go in the morning safari only.,..chances of seeing the tigers in the afternoon are zero !!!!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt
Spent three nights there in Feb. '06. Stayed in Room 16. Although the water pressure was less than desireable, the staff was first rate, very quite location, relaxing grounds (with the exception of the periodic train signal, pool however is a nice respite), safe, secure, food very good and plentiful. Not a great deal to do outside the hotel but an interesting walk through a typical Indian neighborhood. Had a bit of a gout attack and the nearby pharmacy quickly produced the proper remediy at 1/10 of the cost back home.

As for the Park itself, somewhat sterile, but nonethelss facsinating and a welcome change from the major cities. Saw three tigers over the course of three days and the tigers could absolutely care less if we were there. Abundant wildlife to be seen and photografted. Be sure to take a bandana or other article to cover your nose and mouth as the dust is unbelieable. If you were contacts, by all means use your eyeglasses.

Overall, from what I was able to gather from other travelers staying at other hotels (including the Oberai), a great value in a tranquil setting, but still close enough to town to get a sense of the local surroundings.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Anyone stayed here recently? How is the hotel?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by tomcat007
Anyone stayed here recently? How is the hotel?
not really recent but i stayed here about 4 years ago....the service was excellent, food was good & the rooms were nice....didn't see any tigers though....
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:26 pm

Definitely want to see tigers!🐯
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:13 pm

This is a very nice hotel and the food is included in the room rate as there are not too many places to eat around. The safari vehicle comes and picks you up at the hotel. We did manage to see tigers!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: SQ Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond
A good hotel with good food, staff, and location.
Nothing bad during my short stay of 2 days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.