FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Business Travel to BOM - Customs Clarification, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1701989-business-travel-bom-customs-clarification-etc.html)

Gauchograd99 Aug 12, 2015 12:31 am

Business Travel to BOM - Customs Clarification, etc.

Apologies if this is very redundant and covered in various threads, but I am a pro flyer within the US and a complete rookie when it comes to international travel. It seems I am going to be heading to BOM (then traveling onward to the job site outside the city) for work here in the near future, and after reading the threads here and the 2015 Customs Guide for Travelers, I am still a bit in the dark here on many things and hope to make things go as smoothly as possible.

- Apparently you cannot bring in or remove Indian currency from India? This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as you cannot come in prepared to hit the ground running? Also, is there a currency exchange before customs on the way out where you have to exchange currency?

- How does customs ACTUALLY work in regards to personal (i.e. work) computers and your personal headphones? Should I leave those items at home (maybe have the company ship a laptop for me) and just deal with aircraft noise without my headphones? It seems any computer would be over the allowance for travelers of non-Indian descent, and the same for most headphones. That said, should I expect the customs people to want me to pay for them? Same sort of question on leaving.

- Any current tips or tricks for clearing customs both ways, any suggestions about the airport itself (airline hasn't been determined yet), and general information is greatly appreciated.

If it helps, the most probable airline choices are BA, United, or Delta/AF. Lower probability would be KLM, Cathay Pacific, or Lufthansa.

oliver2002 Aug 12, 2015 2:18 am

- You can bring and take out small amounts, the regulations are in place to prevent money laundering.
- don't worry about personal equipment you plan to take with you again. The regulations are in place to prevent trade with goods imported under the free allowance which you are obviously not intending to do

- just be cool and look everyone sternly in the eye. You have nothing to hide.

Keyser Aug 13, 2015 12:45 am

if your computer, headphones, etc look like used items (i.e. not sealed in brand new packaging) then they won't bother you....

they don't bother with currency as well unless you are carrying huge sums of money....currency changers are available at the airport as well....

in a worse care scenario if they stop you then you have the option of getting a note put in your passport with the serial numbers of the electronic goods....this will allow you to bring in the goods into the country & they will match that to the items on your way out to ensure you are carrying them back...but its extremely unlikely that it would come to this....

Savage25 Aug 13, 2015 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Gauchograd99 (Post 25258186)
- How does customs ACTUALLY work in regards to personal (i.e. work) computers and your personal headphones? Should I leave those items at home (maybe have the company ship a laptop for me) and just deal with aircraft noise without my headphones? It seems any computer would be over the allowance for travelers of non-Indian descent, and the same for most headphones. That said, should I expect the customs people to want me to pay for them? Same sort of question on leaving.

It used to matter years ago how many electronics you brought in, but not now, as long as its not in its original packaging.

I've been traveling frequently with two laptops (personal and work), Kindle, 3 mobile phones, 2 headphones (QC20 and Bluebuds) and Jambox all in the same carryon, and customs hasn't batted an eyelid over the last 2-3 years. My ex-boss used to carry a portable projector as well and never had any problem.

VickiSoCal Aug 14, 2015 2:10 pm

My husband goes 1-2 a year in and out of BOM on business and carries ipad, headphones, iphone, laptop, no problems.