Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

BLR layover questions/help

Old Jan 25, 15, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/4MM, DL SM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt , AMEX Bus Plt

Headed to Maldives in a couple of weeks with wife. Need help from ft friends here with a 9:25 layover after early morning arrival in BLR before connecting. Maximum rest and peace of mind on travel issues are my main concerns.

Details:

Arrive: in J on QR 2:20AM
Leave: in J on AI 11:45AM

Currently hold reservation at Goldfinch Retreat near airport.

Went ahead and got India tourist visa as was unsure after reading these threads whether I could check bags all the way through.

Travel with CPAP with small battery
Old Jan 25, 15, 10:39 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz Five Star
I don't have much info, but researched the airport since I'm doing the reverse in April: MLE-BLR-DEL.

The airport is quite large and appears new. It is better than I would have expected from wikipedia and photos. Plaza Premium Lounge on the domestic side... there is probably one on the international size as well.

No info re-hotels.
Old Jan 25, 15, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I was in BLR in 2012. Newish airport that requires a same day boarding pass to get into the building. Once inside the airline ticket counters may not open until a couple of hours before their next flight departs. I got there early and had to wait for Air France to open. Not much other than a coffee/tea/snack place in the departure hall prior to security. The tea was pretty good.

There was a smoking booth just prior to security after taking an escalator up a level.

Security insisted that each piece of carry on luggage have a paper tag so that they could stamp a "checked" indication on it. My plastic airline tags weren't acceptable.

The Air France lounge was OK. I didn't really go or do anything else in the airport.
Old Jan 26, 15, 2:09 am

I dont think that you might be able to check your luggage through.

Dont expect too much. BLR is a modern airport, but not fully untilised yet, currently quite some construction going on in the Terminal. Theoretically there is a transit counter, but i mostly see it empty. I would expect it to be quite troublesome to manage to stay airside.

Go to your Hotel, there is not much to do at the Airport.

Yes there is a Day Hotel run by Plaza Premium Landside (Domestic Departure), but I have no idea how you get there without a domestic booking. Its pretty strict in India, no booking no access to the CheckIn hall.
Old Jan 26, 15, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by texmanufan View Post
Headed to Maldives in a couple of weeks with wife. Need help from ft friends here with a 9:25 layover after early morning arrival in BLR before connecting. Maximum rest and peace of mind on travel issues are my main concerns.

Details:

Went ahead and got India tourist visa as was unsure after reading these threads whether I could check bags all the way through.

i don't think you can check your bags through....not much to do at the airport so its a good idea checking into a hotel....
Old Jan 26, 15, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'll stick with leaving the airport.

I am assuming it isn't too much of a problem finding transportation from airport in the early AM and finding the hotel staffed at that hour. Goldfinch is I think 4km from airport. How much time should I allow to catch ride back and clear into airport?
Old Jan 26, 15, 7:27 pm

Most flights from Europe/Middle East arriving around midnight and early morning, so transport to the hotel isnt any problem.

Check your booking, in India its quite common that transfers either oneway or both ways are included in the hotel rate. The represetatives of various hotel are waiting just outside the terminal.
If you dont have transfer then take a pre-paid taxi, counters are in the arrival hall.
If the Hotel is near the airport, traffic is not an issue. It should be save to leave the Retreat about 2 hours before departure.
Old Jan 27, 15, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
That MLE-BLR (AI 264) is a hopper flight - MLE-TRV-BLR-MAA

So you're - at a minimum - stuck on the ground for 45 minutes in TRV on the rather elderly 320 with no IFE that AI deploys on this route.

And AI has been known to do this - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...x-blr-maa.html

See if you can find an alternative flight out.

Details:

Old Jan 27, 15, 6:10 pm

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'll stick with leaving the airport.

I am assuming it isn't too much of a problem finding transportation from airport in the early AM and finding the hotel staffed at that hour. Goldfinch is I think 4km from airport. How much time should I allow to catch ride back and clear into airport?
I assume you are flying from DOH given the QR. BLR Plaza lounge is nice - clean, quiet and may not be crowded in the day time. Most flights leave at night. There are no showers. Get that done in DOH if possible. Food is OK, great if you like Indian fare. I am guessing it depends on time of day but at 9:30AM, I liked it before catching an EK flight.

GoldFinch resort - I would ask you to lower your expectations to a bare minimum. It is close to the airport and you wouldn't have to deal with any possible traffic woes that Bangalore is famous for. But, the resort is 1 star. You will find the room acceptable but the rest of the property will make you question the "resort" tag.

If a shower and good undisturbed sleep is not the need of the hour, I would recommend the lounge at the airport.

Edited: looks like the international side lounge has a shower and open 24 hours according to their website - http://www.plaza-network.com/locatio...city=Bangalore

Last edited by gt0138d; Jan 27, 15 at 6:13 pm Reason: update link
Old Jan 28, 15, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That MLE-BLR (AI 264) is a hopper flight - MLE-TRV-BLR-MAA
Actually we are on AI 265 which I show direct late morning leaving BLR. Thought the hopper and very short layover was pushing it. Especially since I was unsure whether or not I can check bags through.

Originally Posted by gt0138d View Post
GoldFinch resort - I would ask you to lower your expectations to a bare minimum. It is close to the airport and you wouldn't have to deal with any possible traffic woes that Bangalore is famous for. But, the resort is 1 star. You will find the room acceptable but the rest of the property will make you question the "resort" tag.

If a shower and good undisturbed sleep is not the need of the hour, I would recommend the lounge at the airport.

Edited: looks like the international side lounge has a shower and open 24 hours according to their website - http://www.plaza-network.com/locatio...city=Bangalore
Understood and thanks for input. May still keep the hotel as arrive 2:20AM and leave 11:45AM but unsure. Sounds as though I will have to gather bags and recheck anyway so that may tip me to the hotel.
Old Feb 17, 15, 11:54 pm

There are two lounges in the international departures area, with showers in the Plaza Lounge.
Old Feb 22, 15, 12:17 pm

Programs: Platinum Flying Blue; LH FTL
I have stayed at the Goldfinch quite a few times. Always arriving from Europe at similar night time and continuing by car for 7 hours towards Bellary in the morning.

rooms are clean, shower is warm. Breakfast...skip it....

I would suggest you book airport transfer with the Goldsfinch. They will put a sign with your name/ flight number at the exit of the arrivals hall.

No waiting, no fuss in the middle of the nigt to book a prepaid cab....just go to hotel an relax.

same for return to the airport, hotel transport is most efficient.
Old Feb 25, 15, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wjv144 View Post
I have stayed at the Goldfinch quite a few times. Always arriving from Europe at similar night time and continuing by car for 7 hours towards Bellary in the morning.

rooms are clean, shower is warm. Breakfast...skip it....

I would suggest you book airport transfer with the Goldsfinch. They will put a sign with your name/ flight number at the exit of the arrivals hall.

No waiting, no fuss in the middle of the nigt to book a prepaid cab....just go to hotel an relax.

same for return to the airport, hotel transport is most efficient.
Passed through s week ago but actually found all this to be true. I actually skipped breakfast as well. Just had a feeling and didn't want to risk it.

Search this Thread