Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
E-Visa / ETA and 30 Day Single Entry Visa on Arrival in India

India new Visa On Arrival
(Actually advance online e-Tourist Visa with actual visa issued on arrival)
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

The Indian e-Tourist Visa is available for holders of passports of following countries and territories:
Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong SAR), China (Macau SAR), Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Eligibility
Citizens of the above-listed countries using ordinary passports from such countries when the sole objective of visiting India is one or more of the following: recreation (of most but not all sorts); sight seeing (in most of India); casual visit to meet friends or relatives (in most of India); short duration medical treatment; or casual visits for most (but not all) business purposes.

The passport should have at least six months' validity on the date of arrival.

International Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.

The visa is valid for a single entry for a stay of 30 days (from the date of entry) and cannot be extended.

Be sure to fill out your information very accurately! If there's anything off, you may be required to board the next flight out operated by your airline of entry.

Travellers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.

Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.

E-TOURIST VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1
Apply online
Upload Photo and Passport Page

Step 2
Pay visa fee online
Using Credit / Debit card

Step 3
Receive ETA Online
ETA Will be sent to your e-mail

Step 4
Print ETA and carry it for and on the flight to India so you can present it on arrival at the immigration desks.

This being India, it is the real experience on arrival that is critical, especially since this is a brand new operation.

We need datapoints for
- How long it took you to get through immigration?
- Any issues (human, bureaucratic or technological?)

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
May be too late for the OP but for others who may have the same question: when I visited Delhi last year, I had my e-Visa in hand, but (groggy and tired) stood in the wrong line at the New Delhi immigration area. The first sign I saw said something like "business and First Class passengers" and had a short line so I stood there (I travelled in biz). When I got to the front of the line and gave my e-visa to the immigration officer he looked annoyed and waved me to go to the "e-Visa" line, which was at the other end of the hall. I asked him if he could just go ahead and process me since I was standing in front of him but he refused.

So I think you have to go to the e-Visa queue if you arrive with an e-Visa!
At DEL, that's the norm if using an e-visa.

The e-visa line at DEL can also process passport users with Indian sticker (or stamp) visas.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Fredd
We had spent an hour or more yesterday trying to recall and enter all of the details demanded e,g, every one of the 50+ countries we've visited in the past 10 years (the form wouldn't accept them) ^
That's typical of the Indian bureaucratic system; ask stupid questions. The question really should be...have you traveled to Pakistan or Afghanistan in the last 10 years?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:42 pm

They need one to upload a photocopy of the passport page with a file size of under 300 kb. This is unrealistic. The file size is approximately 1 MB. Can one send a black and white copy of the passport which will drastically reduce the file size to under 300KB? Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I applied yesterday, paid online ($75 for US Citizen) and today, I got the approval email. Interesting that the e-visa page was not attached to the email. In order to print it, I needed to go here: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/StatusEnquiry

Once on that page, it pulled up the status and there was a button to PRINT the status, which generated the e-visa .PDF with my information, photo and barcode.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
They need one to upload a photocopy of the passport page with a file size of under 300 kb. This is unrealistic. The file size is approximately 1 MB. Can one send a black and white copy of the passport which will drastically reduce the file size to under 300KB? Thanks.
if you have nitro or cute PDF or Adobe Acrobat (not just the reader) there is an option somewhere to reduce the file size (you lose a bit of quality but it's not significant ). I had to use it myself for the same reason.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:43 pm

Hi everyone

I just returned from Mumbai and was travelling for the first time on an eVisa (Tourist).

In the dedicated e-Visa-queue tere where about 8 people in front of me - for each of these the process took roughly 7 to 8 minutes. So I ended up waiting for 1 hour in the queue. Is this normal? I will consider applying for a standard VISA again next time

Thanks
Tom
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tom1986
Hi everyone

I just returned from Mumbai and was travelling for the first time on an eVisa (Tourist).

In the dedicated e-Visa-queue tere where about 8 people in front of me - for each of these the process took roughly 7 to 8 minutes. So I ended up waiting for 1 hour in the queue. Is this normal? I will consider applying for a standard VISA again next time

Thanks
Tom
That was certainly my experience when entering at Mumbai in September. The dedicated e-Visa line was significantly slower and each person and family required much more processing than other lines. I've been in India twice now n the past year and yes, I will apply for the standard multi-entry visa if I need to go again. Not sure what the e-Visa is really gaining.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Tom1986
Any further reports as to whether this is still normal for the eVisa queue in Mumbai? I am halfway tempted to apply for a regular 10 year visa just to avoid this long wait, but the process is so daunting that it seems like it will take 1 hr+ just to fill out the forms.
Another question: I plan to arrive with an eVisa. I will be travelling with an elderly person with an OCI card, who will be in wheelchair. Will the officers at the eVisa stations process his entry? Or will he have to somehow get to the OCI counter and then meet me after the immigration check?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:47 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by snic
Any further reports as to whether this is still normal for the eVisa queue in Mumbai?
I arrived late (on a December CX flight) and there were about four very-bored agents waiting for us.

Of course, this just could be due to the fact that not many aircraft arrive at that hour.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:14 pm

If one is overnighting within T3 at DEL and using a "lounge" hotel, would there be any need to present one's not-yet-used or processed e-visa as a "transit passenger" for a flight from the same terminal early the next morning to Nepal? Should one just worry about the e-visa and immigration process upon returning through DEL (coming back from Nepal) and actually exiting the airport to enter the country on the return or would you still have to clear immigration that "transit" (waiting for flight the next morning) night? I would prefer to avoid it if I could of course. Since one would have 2 entries permitted with an unused e-visa, one should be fine of course, but it would be a time saver if immigration could be avoided upon first entry into T3 with no need to exit that terminal...
I am unsure how immigration is handled at DEL and am not sure if you are "forced" through the arrivals immigration process even if not exiting the terminal?? Any advice is appreciated.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
I am unsure how immigration is handled at DEL and am not sure if you are "forced" through the arrivals immigration process even if not exiting the terminal?? Any advice is appreciated.
You are not forced into the immigration process. If the flight is within the next 5-6 hours you can use transit security and enter the international concourse. If its longer the airside transit hotel will arrange to meet you.

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpres...ax/hoteldetail

Terms and conditions to access our hotel. Guest must have a departure flight from Terminal-3 only. Please note that as the hotel is located within the airport terminal building, only a maximum of one night stay is permitted due to government regulations. Once the guest checks-in to the hotel, they are not allowed to leave the hotel premises. Passengers Arriving on an IntL flight and further taking an intL flight can access to our intL wing.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You are not forced into the immigration process. If the flight is within the next 5-6 hours you can use transit security and enter the international concourse. If its longer the airside transit hotel will arrange to meet you.

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpres...ax/hoteldetail
How about the Plaza Premium lounge rooms (not the holiday inn) on an overnight layover of more than 6 hours but less than 12?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by luv2fly4free

How about the Plaza Premium lounge rooms (not the holiday inn) on an overnight layover of more than 6 hours but less than 12?
I am not aware of any such facility airside. The PP arrivals facility is landside: https://www.plaza-network.com/locati...ty=New%20Delhi
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I am not aware of any such facility airside. The PP arrivals facility is landside: https://www.plaza-network.com/locati...ty=New%20Delhi
https://loungereview.com/lounges/pla...international/

and here-
https://www.sleepinginairports.net/asia/delhi.htm
​​​​​​​
  • Sam's Snooze at My Space - In-transit sleeping pods are available on a hourly basis. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Gate 17. Rates: US$ 12/hr (single) and US$ 22/hr (double).
  • Plaza Premium Lounge - Private day rooms with attached toilet and shower facilities. Rates start at 2500 INR for 3 hours minimum (single occupancy) and 3500 INR for 3 hours minimum (double occupancy). Three locations: Domestic Arrivals (T3), International Arrivals (T3), Domestic Departures Landside (1D)
Not think these are viable options for avoiding dealing with immigration/Visa processing?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:53 am

The nap cabins in T3 international are in the international concourse very close to the depature gates, definitely not a quiet place, but on the airside. They will not get you thru security though.

The PP facilities are landside, visa required. They are usually all occupied and also not really nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.