Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
E-Visa / ETA and 30 Day Single Entry Visa on Arrival in India

India new Visa On Arrival
(Actually advance online e-Tourist Visa with actual visa issued on arrival)
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

The Indian e-Tourist Visa is available for holders of passports of following countries and territories:
Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong SAR), China (Macau SAR), Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Eligibility
Citizens of the above-listed countries using ordinary passports from such countries when the sole objective of visiting India is one or more of the following: recreation (of most but not all sorts); sight seeing (in most of India); casual visit to meet friends or relatives (in most of India); short duration medical treatment; or casual visits for most (but not all) business purposes.

The passport should have at least six months' validity on the date of arrival.

International Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.

The visa is valid for a single entry for a stay of 30 days (from the date of entry) and cannot be extended.

Be sure to fill out your information very accurately! If there's anything off, you may be required to board the next flight out operated by your airline of entry.

Travellers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.

Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.

E-TOURIST VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1
Apply online
Upload Photo and Passport Page

Step 2
Pay visa fee online
Using Credit / Debit card

Step 3
Receive ETA Online
ETA Will be sent to your e-mail

Step 4
Print ETA and carry it for and on the flight to India so you can present it on arrival at the immigration desks.

This being India, it is the real experience on arrival that is critical, especially since this is a brand new operation.

We need datapoints for
- How long it took you to get through immigration?
- Any issues (human, bureaucratic or technological?)

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:32 pm

Would someone of Bangladesh origin holding a US passport be able to utilize this? I read Pakistanis had to apply differently and am wondering if my husband would have any problems.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
I was approved within 12 hours.

What has been your experience in DEL airport? If you have your TVoA can you go to a less crowded customs line at DEL airport?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
EVisa -- to be called eTV -- is being expanded to a lot mor countries, the UK included.

The move comes amid government’s decision to roll out e-TV to 31 more countries by June this year, ahead of the onset of the tourist season, a senior home ministry official said. After US, the e-TV has been extended to UK, Spain, Sweden, Malaysia and Turkey.
The e-TV is presently valid for entry at nine airports-Bangalore, Chennai, Kochi, Delhi, Goa. “Besides extending the e-TV facility to other airports, we have to upgrade the infrastructure too. In the first phase, we have to create 76 counters for the nine existing airports. The nine new airports will require 30-odd counters that will also have biometric identification machines. Anybody coming with an e-TV has to also give in biometric details,” said a senior official. The other countries that will be extended the facilities are Guatemala, Hungary, Ireland, Jamaica, Malta, Mongolia, Mozambique, Netherlands, Panama, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Argentina, Armenia, Belgium, Columbia, Cuba, St Vincent, Grendiose, Surinam, Tanzania, East Timor, Caucas Islands, Uruguay and Venezuela.
http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...nasi-airports/
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AA, Alaska Airlines, Delta, Hilton, Omni, Marriott, USAir
Has anyone identified "casual business," yet? I've seen it mentioned twice in this thread, but no responses.

My boss is going to India to deliver a presentation at a conference, but will not be meeting with companies for the purpose of doing business. Should I just err on the side of caution and proceed with the business visa application?

Thanks!
Old May 14, 2015, 2:31 pm

Do they give you hard time in receiving visa approval if you are a naturalized US citizen, ( NOT a Pakistan origin or Pakistani) living in US with US passport ?
Old May 14, 2015, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Do they give you hard time in receiving visa approval if you are a naturalized US citizen, ( NOT a Pakistan origin or Pakistani) living in US with US passport ?
Not generally. Then again, most of the applicants are probably former Indian citizens or progeny of such.
Old May 14, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not generally. Then again, most of the applicants are probably former Indian citizens or progeny of such.
Hope it is easy for us
Old May 18, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: CX SL, SQ SL
Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
I applied yesterday and received approval in 8 hours. Absolutely amazing turnaround time. I also previously had a question where I emailed [email protected] and received a reply within hours.

Hopefully this efficiency spreads to other parts of Indian government!
I wish Europe and US would return the favour. The process of getting a US or EU visa remains onerous and annoying, with absolutely no indication that it will improve in the forseeable future.

Despite all the naysayers mocking us, the Indian e-visa system has clearly been implemented very well. Before anyone comes up with 'but I had an issue' responses, consider that not only are you a tiny minority, but your own national systems are relatively ancient, and there's simply no comparison anymore.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:45 pm

Will someone with naturalized us citizenship/US passport be treated like someone who is citizenship by birth on Indian visa app? Not a Pakistani here.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Will someone with naturalized us citizenship/US passport be treated like someone who is citizenship by birth on Indian visa app? Not a Pakistani here.
If your country of origin is considered a friendly state by India then I see no reason why you would not be treated the same as a US citizen by birth. After all the purpose is to keep the troublemakers out without denying the visa privileges to friendly tourists, thereby guaranteeing safety for all. The DEL airport VOA counter is well marked and has no waiting.

Originally Posted by BlrGuy
I wish Europe and US would return the favour.
It is not a question of favors being done and return of favors. It all depends on how badly do the host countries need the tourist $$$s and what procedures they administer to ensure the safety of their citizens by weeding out troublemakers. BTW, India has done a great job of executing the VOA program. It has put the previous Govt. led by the current opposition to shame.

Last edited by Slow_Mustang; Jun 25, 2015 at 5:34 pm
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by GUWonder
EVisa -- to be called eTV -- is being expanded to a lot mor countries, the UK included.

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...nasi-airports/
I am hoping this gets rolled out soon (still not extended) as will save me a lot of hassle. My own government's (Ireland) delay to a new passport card (July launch put back to September) means my original plan of getting passport card and then not being concerned about passport being with VFS for a week or so is now a lot less palatable...
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I am hoping this gets rolled out soon (still not extended) as will save me a lot of hassle. My own government's (Ireland) delay to a new passport card (July launch put back to September) means my original plan of getting passport card and then not being concerned about passport being with VFS for a week or so is now a lot less palatable...
Yeah me too, it was supposed to be coming June 15th, then I read early July. But still not sign of it. Hopefully in the next month or two otherwise I'll have to go through the rigmarole of visiting the visa centre in London which is always a bit of a pain...
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Passport Page Requirements

Does anyone know how much space the new eTV takes up and if India is strict about you having an entire blank page in your passport for this? I can't find any info online on what is really needed besides the vague "one blank page" requirement on the State Dept website which isn't necessarily true for other countries with the same requirement listed.

I have exactly one page left with a few blank spots here and there on other used pages, but I am traveling through Argentina, Brazil, and Peru immediately before I go to India and will not be able to add pages or renew my passport before that trip. I currently have a large post it note reserving that last page for India, but it would be a lot easier going through South America (needing stamps at Buenos Aires, Foz do Iguacu, Puerto Iguazu, Foz do Iguacu, then Lima) if I could reduce that to reserve only a half page.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
Yeah me too, it was supposed to be coming June 15th, then I read early July. But still not sign of it. Hopefully in the next month or two otherwise I'll have to go through the rigmarole of visiting the visa centre in London which is always a bit of a pain...
At last http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...ravellers.html
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:14 am

Several countries added August 15th, incl. UK

As previously announced, the Indian e-visa website has been updated today (August 15th) to add several more countries to the e-tourist visa system, including UK citizens.
You can only apply within 30 days of arrival, for a max stay of 30 days, single entry only, costs US$60, and can only apply twice in any calendar year.
Much better than previous system, and by all accounts, it works very efficiently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.