Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
E-Visa / ETA and 30 Day Single Entry Visa on Arrival in India

India new Visa On Arrival
(Actually advance online e-Tourist Visa with actual visa issued on arrival)
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

The Indian e-Tourist Visa is available for holders of passports of following countries and territories:
Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong SAR), China (Macau SAR), Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Eligibility
Citizens of the above-listed countries using ordinary passports from such countries when the sole objective of visiting India is one or more of the following: recreation (of most but not all sorts); sight seeing (in most of India); casual visit to meet friends or relatives (in most of India); short duration medical treatment; or casual visits for most (but not all) business purposes.

The passport should have at least six months' validity on the date of arrival.

International Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.

The visa is valid for a single entry for a stay of 30 days (from the date of entry) and cannot be extended.

Be sure to fill out your information very accurately! If there's anything off, you may be required to board the next flight out operated by your airline of entry.

Travellers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.

Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.

E-TOURIST VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1
Apply online
Upload Photo and Passport Page

Step 2
Pay visa fee online
Using Credit / Debit card

Step 3
Receive ETA Online
ETA Will be sent to your e-mail

Step 4
Print ETA and carry it for and on the flight to India so you can present it on arrival at the immigration desks.

This being India, it is the real experience on arrival that is critical, especially since this is a brand new operation.

We need datapoints for
- How long it took you to get through immigration?
- Any issues (human, bureaucratic or technological?)

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:25 am

What are the rules with transiting through India .
We fly UK to India , then 7 hours later , India to Sri Lanka
The flights are not on one ticket.
We dont plan on leaving the airport at all
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Separate airlines too? If it is all on AI I could see them letting you check in. If its two airlines (example BA and UL or UK) no chance.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:45 am

Yeah its 2 airlines , BA to Chennai , then Sri Lanka Airways from Chennai to Sri Lanka

There is a family of 4 , would i need to buy 4 visas , just to get the bags and go to another flight ?
Also need to get 4 * Sri Lanka visas as well , im on the verge of cancelling this trip due to this Visa BS
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by Scottydogg55
Yeah its 2 airlines , BA to Chennai , then Sri Lanka Airways from Chennai to Sri Lanka

There is a family of 4 , would i need to buy 4 visas , just to get the bags and go to another flight ?
Also need to get 4 * Sri Lanka visas as well , im on the verge of cancelling this trip due to this Visa BS
In theory, you don't need a visa for India, but I don't know Chennai airport well enough to know if both BA and Sri Lankan are connected airside. If not, you'd have to clear immigration to get to your other flight. BA may deny you without a visa; you can show them your onward ticket, and perhaps they'll deem it sufficient. The challenge comes in when there's a delay on your first flight and now you are in no-man's-land, and that's likely why BA would have an issue with it. E-visas are pretty cheap for India -- less than a baggage fee on an EasyJet flight.

Edit: Looks like BA arrives in Terminal 4 and Sri Lankan departs also from Terminal 4, so that might work. The problem is that Sri Lankan arrives in Terminal 3 and BA departs from Terminal 4, so even if you got away with not having a visa on the outbound, you'd need it for the inbound. Terminal 4 is about a half a mile from Terminal 3, so they're not connected airside. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Apr 4, 2023 at 8:57 am
Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:08 am

Thanks Jayhawk , that is interesting and helpful
When you say that the evisa are cheap , i read about Ł50 per person ? i dont think thats cheap
Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

In theory airside trasnfer is possible, but BA will not let you board without a visa as you are ending your trip with them in India. That you have a onward ticket doesn't count in their view.

MAA international will move to a new terminal this summer.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Scottydogg55
Thanks Jayhawk , that is interesting and helpful
When you say that the evisa are cheap , i read about Ł50 per person ? i dont think thats cheap
I'm seeing $10 from April to June and $25 from July to March for the 30 day e-Visa. Those are in USD from the New York consulate. I don't believe India charges differently for different nationalities, but I may be mistaken.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
In theory airside transfer is possible, but BA will not let you board without a visa as you are ending your trip with them in India. That you have a onward ticket doesn't count in their view..
Are you 100% certain? I know you're an expert in this forum, so I don't want to overstep, but I've had plenty of other travel experiences where a country had a requirement such as booked onward travel, and I've provided the documentation of a separate ticket when checking in and never had a problem. BA should only care if you have a legal right to travel to India, and, assuming you meet the following requirements: 1) Layover time of <24 hours to another country, 2) Not leaving the sterile area, so no clearing of immigration), you can legally transit India without a visa. It looks like the TIMATIC entry for India requires the connection be on the same ticket. Seems lame, but obviously it would apply to BA checking you in.

Again, in Scottydogg's situation, this wouldn't apply because he and his family would have to clear immigration at a minimum upon returning from Sri Lanka. But I really think that BA wouldn't have the right to refuse you on the outbound provided you showed the onward UL flight.

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Apr 4, 2023 at 12:50 pm
Old Apr 4, 2023, 11:00 am

Also, BA will not through-check bags to another airline (even OneWorld; even BA to BA) on separate PNR's. So, the OP will have to exit immigration and check/re-check bags (in case they check luggage with BA).
JayhawkCO likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I would not risk transiting in MAA without a visa. This is not the most friendly airport in terms of transfers.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I'm seeing $10 from April to June and $25 from July to March for the 30 day e-Visa. Those are in USD from the New York consulate. I don't believe India charges differently for different nationalities, but I may be mistaken.
You are mistaken.
Are you 100% certain? I know you're an expert in this forum, so I don't want to overstep, but I've had plenty of other travel experiences where a country had a requirement such as booked onward travel, and I've provided the documentation of a separate ticket when checking in and never had a problem. BA should only care if you have a legal right to travel to India, and, assuming you meet the following requirements: 1) Layover time of <24 hours to another country, 2) Not leaving the sterile area, so no clearing of immigration), you can legally transit India without a visa....
If you don't have a visa, how do you have a "legal right to travel to India"?

And why do you assume there will be a sterile area? Does the US generally have a "sterile area"? I'm sure you don't have to deal with that, but the world is not just what you experience.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Apr 4, 2023 at 12:39 pm
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
You are mistaken.
My apologies. It looks like it's Ł25 for UK citizens.

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
If you don't have a visa, how do you have a "legal right to travel to India"?

And why do you assume there will be a sterile area? Does the US generally have a "sterile area"? I'm sure you don't have to deal with that, but the world is not just what you experience.
Well, how about being absent of a reason for them to refuse you boarding. I don't make any assumptions about sterile areas; in fact, I said quite the opposite about MAA. But there are obviously sterile areas in airports across the globe, including in India, where you don't need to clear immigration in order to transfer to another international flight. You can fly LHR-DEL-BKK on BA and then Air India and not need to clear immigration. Now, that said, it looks like India's TIMATIC entry says that it has to be on the same ticket. It seems a bit silly to me if you don't need to collect luggage nor get a boarding pass, because you don't need to exit the sterile area, but I guess it is what it is.

I've been to 73 countries, so, despite being American, I think I have a leg to stand on regarding some of the intricacies of international travel. My world is not just what you experience.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Apr 4, 2023 at 12:57 pm
Old Apr 4, 2023, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

It looks like the TIMATIC entry for India requires the connection be on the same ticket. Seems lame, but obviously it would apply to BA checking you in.

Of course it has to be on the same ticket. Otherwise, you are travelling to the intermediate country as far as the first carrier is concerned: that you have a second, quite separate ticket out of that country matters not one jot.

So, where the intermediate country requires an entry visa, as in the case in question, the first carrier is entitled to ask for evidence you possess a visa.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:57 am

It looks like the TIMATIC entry for India requires the connection be on the same ticket. Seems lame, but obviously it would apply to BA checking you in.
The background for this is the requirement of all airlines to upload the data of the pax on the aircraft for the immigration authorities. If any foreign passport number fails the visa check, the airlines get a visa violation case. In the automated APIS system the 'transit' flag (T=Transit, D=Disembarking) is set automatically if the ticket/reservation has the next international segement in it. This cannot be overridden, instead someone from BA would have to fool the system by inserting a ghost/passive segment with the UL flight into the BA reservation. Good luck finding an agent in LHR who would want to do this for you

The BoI website (https://boi.gov.in/sitemap) is a treasure trove for such info, if you are so inclined to figure out the system
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Of course it has to be on the same ticket. Otherwise, you are travelling to the intermediate country as far as the first carrier is concerned: that you have a second, quite separate ticket out of that country matters not one jot.

So, where the intermediate country requires an entry visa, as in the case in question, the first carrier is entitled to ask for evidence you possess a visa.
OK. I understand that TIMATIC requires it in this case. But, when I flew to Nicaragua this past fall, they have an onward ticket requirement for entry. Checking in with Copa, they asked for my onward ticket. I showed them a bus ticket that I had booked between Nicaragua and Honduras. That was acceptable to them and they checked me in.

Not every example of transiting a country is exactly the same. I was mistaken thinking that, in this case, the visa could be avoided if staying airside, which I readily admit. But there are plenty of countries that would require a visa unless you're just transiting and there's no mention of the "one ticket" restriction in TIMATIC. China is a good example. You can take advantage of the Transit Without a Visa assuming you have an onward ticket within a specified number of hours (dependent on which city you fly into). It does not have to be the same ticket.

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Apr 26, 2023 at 11:14 am
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
OK. I understand in this case that TIMATIC requires it in this case. But, when I flew to Nicaragua this past fall, they have an onward ticket requirement for entry. Checking in with Copa, they asked for my onward ticket. I showed them a bus ticket that I had booked between Nicaragua and Honduras. That was acceptable to them and they checked me in.
Yes I think it's a pretty general requirement that visitors should be able to demonstrate they can fund their stay, and they have arrangements to leave the country at the end of their stay.

In practice immigration officials rarely ask for documentation to prove any such requirements are satisfied. However I notice that one-way tickets are increasingly attracting the attention of check-in agents, a symptom (I'm guessing) of Timatic-driven tick-boxes and concerns about fines for delivering ineligible visitors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.