Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Old Nov 28, 14, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
E-Visa / ETA and 30 Day Single Entry Visa on Arrival in India


India new Visa On Arrival
(Actually advance online e-Tourist Visa with actual visa issued on arrival)
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

The Indian e-Tourist Visa is available for holders of passports of following countries and territories:
Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong SAR), China (Macau SAR), Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Eligibility
Citizens of the above-listed countries using ordinary passports from such countries when the sole objective of visiting India is one or more of the following: recreation (of most but not all sorts); sight seeing (in most of India); casual visit to meet friends or relatives (in most of India); short duration medical treatment; or casual visits for most (but not all) business purposes.

The passport should have at least six months' validity on the date of arrival.

International Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.

The visa is valid for a single entry for a stay of 30 days (from the date of entry) and cannot be extended.

Be sure to fill out your information very accurately! If there's anything off, you may be required to board the next flight out operated by your airline of entry.

Travellers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.

Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.


E-TOURIST VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1
Apply online
Upload Photo and Passport Page

Step 2
Pay visa fee online
Using Credit / Debit card

Step 3
Receive ETA Online
ETA Will be sent to your e-mail

Step 4
Print ETA and carry it for and on the flight to India so you can present it on arrival at the immigration desks.

This being India, it is the real experience on arrival that is critical, especially since this is a brand new operation.

We need datapoints for
- How long it took you to get through immigration?
- Any issues (human, bureaucratic or technological?)

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Old Feb 11, 23, 4:13 pm
  #286  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,125
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes, you can't apply for more than 30 d before arrival.
I have a follow-up question regarding the single-entry 30-day visa.

I will be visiting one Indian port (Mumbai) on just one day during a cruise, which starts 12 days prior to my India visit. I will also be leaving home 10 days prior to the start of the cruise. Therefore, I won't have much buffer in case of issues with the online application process, even though I will apply exactly 30 days prior to leaving home.

Is it possible to use an earlier date of visit (e. g. a week before my actual visit to Mumbai on the cruise ship) so that I can apply online a week earlier (to give me a bigger buffer in case anything goes wrong during the application process)? Since the visa is valid for 30 days, I am thinking there should be no issue with that. After all, people's travel plans can and do change all the time.

Any insight or advice about this idea?
sfvoyage is online now  
Old Feb 11, 23, 9:29 pm
  #287  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,189
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I have a follow-up question regarding the single-entry 30-day visa.

I will be visiting one Indian port (Mumbai) on just one day during a cruise, which starts 12 days prior to my India visit. I will also be leaving home 10 days prior to the start of the cruise. Therefore, I won't have much buffer in case of issues with the online application process, even though I will apply exactly 30 days prior to leaving home.

Is it possible to use an earlier date of visit (e. g. a week before my actual visit to Mumbai on the cruise ship) so that I can apply online a week earlier (to give me a bigger buffer in case anything goes wrong during the application process)? Since the visa is valid for 30 days, I am thinking there should be no issue with that. After all, people's travel plans can and do change all the time.

Any insight or advice about this idea?
(all these are explained in the official evisa website FAQ, I am only paraphrasing)

the only rules are

- you enter india via selected airports or seaports within the 30 days validity period of evisa's ETA

- once entered on date N, the true 30 days stay clock begins

- you must exit on date M, which is N+29. otherwise you will be considered overstaying

- the earliest one can apply for a 30 day evisa's ETA is 30 days before intended entry. the latest is 4 days before

- the expected processing time for an evisa ETA application is 1-3 days.

you can do whatever you want based on the above constraints

the above do not apply for other kinds of evisa duration. why india makes it so complicated I have no idea.
sfvoyage likes this.

Last edited by gnomey; Feb 11, 23 at 9:37 pm
gnomey is offline  
Old Feb 11, 23, 9:55 pm
  #288  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,125
Originally Posted by gnomey
(all these are explained in the official evisa website FAQ, I am only paraphrasing)

the only rules are

- you enter india via selected airports or seaports within the 30 days validity period of evisa's ETA

- once entered on date N, the true 30 days stay clock begins

- you must exit on date M, which is N+29. otherwise you will be considered overstaying

- the earliest one can apply for a 30 day evisa's ETA is 30 days before intended entry. the latest is 4 days before

- the expected processing time for an evisa ETA application is 1-3 days.

you can do whatever you want based on the above constraints

the above do not apply for other kinds of evisa duration. why india makes it so complicated I have no idea.
Thank you. Based on the above, my plan should be fine.
sfvoyage is online now  
Old Feb 13, 23, 8:22 am
  #289  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Programs: Statusless and proud
Posts: 7,561
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Was the payment denied initially, and then you called Citi which made the necessary unblocking or whatever so that you could then try again immediately and successfully?
I got a text alert about possible fraud, typed whatever option said it was fine, and then resubmitted payment immediately.
sfvoyage likes this.
JayhawkCO is offline  
Old Feb 16, 23, 11:24 pm
  #290  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, AC 75K, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Posts: 4,609
Buggy, Need Help

Can't get beyond the second or third page, where it asks for passport information and more. After pressing "save and continue", it takes me back to the same page, now all blank, and I have to enter the information again. Fill in the information again. Same thing. Using Google Chrome.

So I forced exit, having made note of the application ID. Received an e-mail from the Indian Government confirming the partial application and the ID, which is 15 characters. I tried entering that ID, and am cut off after 12 characters.

Any suggestions?

Also, it says the 30-day tourist visa is double entry. Meaning I can enter the country twice in 30 days? For sure? I plan to do that. If there's any doubt, perhaps I should apply for a different duration?

Thanks...

Last edited by Explore; Feb 17, 23 at 12:26 am
Explore is offline  
Old Feb 21, 23, 8:41 pm
  #291  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 101,033
Originally Posted by Explore
Can't get beyond the second or third page, where it asks for passport information and more. After pressing "save and continue", it takes me back to the same page, now all blank, and I have to enter the information again. Fill in the information again. Same thing. Using Google Chrome.

So I forced exit, having made note of the application ID. Received an e-mail from the Indian Government confirming the partial application and the ID, which is 15 characters. I tried entering that ID, and am cut off after 12 characters.

Any suggestions?

Also, it says the 30-day tourist visa is double entry. Meaning I can enter the country twice in 30 days? For sure? I plan to do that. If there's any doubt, perhaps I should apply for a different duration?

Thanks...
Change devices and IP address, and then try again using the saved application ID to complete the application. The site is buggy and some of the bugginess is sometimes IP specific. And sometimes its buggy because the site cant handle the traffic. And sometimes its because the filled in departure date is too close. Sometimes the best thing to do is to just start a new application with a different anticipated travel date but that is only if youve not already paid the fee for the applicants evisa.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Feb 22, 23, 12:32 am
  #292  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: antwerp Belgium
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 178
I had no problem applying for the E visa. In less than 24 h i got my visa .
scubadave is offline  
Old Feb 22, 23, 3:14 pm
  #293  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 101,033
Originally Posted by scubadave
I had no problem applying for the E visa. In less than 24 h i got my visa .
For fun, I applied for some Indian evisas late Saturday evening and very early Sunday morning local IST. Got the evisa approval/granted emails less than 18 hours after paying. The visa granted emails came back clustered at around the same time on Sunday, and that was even as the applications were submitted and paid for across several hours. Very efficient to get the visas after getting the applications submitted and the payments to work. But for some people, it may take a bit of learning how to take an acceptable digital photo, right-size photos of the applicant’s face and get the right-sized PDF scan of the passport biodata page.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Feb 22, 23, 3:38 pm
  #294  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Programs: Statusless and proud
Posts: 7,561
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For fun, I applied for some Indian evisas late Saturday evening and very early Sunday morning local IST. Got the evisa approval/granted emails less than 18 hours after paying. The visa granted emails came back clustered at around the same time on Sunday, and that was even as the applications were submitted and paid for across several hours. Very efficient to get the visas after getting the applications submitted and the payments to work. But for some people, it may take a bit of learning how to take an acceptable digital photo, right-size photos of the applicants face and get the right-sized PDF scan of the passport biodata page.
I applied for mine at 10:24 on a Monday. I was approved at 07:35 the next day.
GUWonder likes this.
JayhawkCO is offline  
Old Feb 22, 23, 4:06 pm
  #295  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 101,033
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I applied for mine at 10:24 on a Monday. I was approved at 07:35 the next day.
Was that IST?

Given how Sunday in India is traditionally the day with fewest government employees in the offices, I wanted to see if applying between late Saturday evening (IST) and the earliest hours of Sunday (IST) would mean slower turn times on Sunday IST. But within less than 20 hours of the last application, the evisa approvals/granted emails got sent out in a batch — that too with less than 121 seconds between the email send times.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Feb 22, 23, 4:28 pm
  #296  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Programs: Statusless and proud
Posts: 7,561
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Was that IST?

Given how Sunday in India is traditionally the day with fewest government employees in the offices, I wanted to see if applying between late Saturday evening (IST) and the earliest hours of Sunday (IST) would mean slower turn times on Sunday IST. But within less than 20 hours of the last application, the evisa approvals/granted emails got sent out in a batch that too with less than 121 seconds between the email send times.
Nope. MST, so applied at 22:54 IST on Monday and approved at 20:05 IST Tuesday.
GUWonder likes this.
JayhawkCO is offline  
Old Feb 23, 23, 11:52 pm
  #297  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, AC 75K, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Posts: 4,609
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For fun, I applied for some Indian evisas late Saturday evening and very early Sunday morning local IST. Got the evisa approval/granted emails less than 18 hours after paying. The visa granted emails came back clustered at around the same time on Sunday, and that was even as the applications were submitted and paid for across several hours. Very efficient to get the visas after getting the applications submitted and the payments to work. But for some people, it may take a bit of learning how to take an acceptable digital photo, right-size photos of the applicants face and get the right-sized PDF scan of the passport biodata page.
No luck with the Indian government website. Couldn't get beyond about the second screen, where after pressing "save and continue" on multiple browsers, multiple times, it just takes me back to the same screen to fill in the same stuff. And this is after clearing cookies etc.

So I went to a visa expeditor service, which got me the 5-year visa in a day, for around $200 more. With all the IT expertise in India, I'm surprised the government couldn't do better, but I guess it is the government.
Explore is offline  
Old Feb 24, 23, 3:55 am
  #298  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 101,033
Originally Posted by Explore
No luck with the Indian government website. Couldn't get beyond about the second screen, where after pressing "save and continue" on multiple browsers, multiple times, it just takes me back to the same screen to fill in the same stuff. And this is after clearing cookies etc.

So I went to a visa expeditor service, which got me the 5-year visa in a day, for around $200 more. With all the IT expertise in India, I'm surprised the government couldn't do better, but I guess it is the government.
The site is buggy and some of the bugginess is sometimes IP specific. And sometimes its buggy because the site cant handle the traffic. And sometimes its because the filled in departure date is too close.

I suspect that there are also some internet and database security settings used by the Indian government that sometimes come into play with the traffic problems and other bugginess I experienced on Saturday/Sunday too.

Paying a visa facilitator 3-8x the cost of a functional evisa isnt for me, but sometimes it makes sense to pay the extra money to get results in a way that may feel less frustrating.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Feb 27, 23, 11:23 pm
  #299  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,125
We just applied for our 30-day eVisa, no payment problem at all using our visa credit cards (from a bank in the US). Fingers crossed we'll get our approval emails soon, as others have reported on this thread.

Update: visa approval email arrived the next day, about 20 hours after the application was submitted.

Last edited by sfvoyage; Mar 9, 23 at 6:59 pm
sfvoyage is online now  
Old Mar 9, 23, 3:53 am
  #300  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son
Posts: 333
Originally Posted by nzussbla
Hello everyone,

I was in the process of applying for the e-visa (for a trip in October), and after filling out the visa application, I encountered the following error when I went to pay for the application:

"Please fill a new e-Visa application as the application format is changed."

Has anyone encountered this before?
Maybe they actually were fiddling with the site around the time of my application (though it was ca. 5 AM in Delhi).
Maybe just some strange unfortunate error.
Did anyone ever figure this out? I got this same error applying for a transit visa last week. I tried again today for a tourist visa in case it's a glitch due to the visa type. Same error. I'm dreading going into the consulate, and really don't have time to. Is this just me? Any hacks?
Zeffer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread